ICEpower 200ASC Class D Monoblock Build

I’m not sure what you mean.

It’s pin 4 on the J3 connector. It should allow the amp to turn on when it senses an audio signal.

Oh, I see. I’m not sure how that works. I would try posting on the Toid’s DIY Audio Forum. They were really helpful there.

Okay. Thanks.

Hi - I hope you are all well.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to wire the amp to have a signal sense, rather than always have to rely on using the power button to turn the amp on.

I see that the Auto on/off jumper is to enable the power button to work, but the signal sense is pin 4 on the J3 connector. I can’t find any examples on the web of how to wire the signal sense.

Thanks.

I just left the amps on all the time. They run very cool. But to answer your question, I would suggest searching Toid’s DIY Audio forum or asking if noone has posted the answer there.

its diy…you could drill a hole in your case and run a wire direct to the j3 connector. i dont know ice power boards enough to know if they support this though. any connector you want to wire to the case you can pretty much use. it only needs enough juice to trip the circuit and turn it on, which pretty much anything can do. just also remember your feed device must also support this.

i would contact ice power first and find out if the board supports this function. they can also tell you how to wire it properly so to speak, if it does support it.

https://icepower.dk/about/#contact

also, for future reference to all, parts express doesnt ship directions with any kits. they have PDF’s on their website with the manuals for you to download. saves them money on paper which saves you money on the kit.

edit: for this amp

edit2: they are not very good at making this known either. many have fell victim to the my kit didnt come with directions because of that from them.

1 Like

Thanks all!

Hi all,
I’m new to this forum. I have a question. I just want to test my ICE boards to see it still working or not. I have 4 of these board from 2 of my Martin Logan Summit speaker. Both of them have no woofer sound so I think these board may bad. I orders from PartExpress the ICEpower Amplifier Module 200ASC Wiring Harness Kit.
Most of instructions above I understand just only the detail 9. Power Switch. Do I have to connect that J5, or J5 just pin 1&2 together like a jumper?

Thank you all
Jimmy

I think you could put a jumper between pin 1 & 2 of J5 to permanently have the power on. I’m really not sure at this point, though. It’s been a few years since I did this build and I don’t really mess with electronics much.

Thank’s. I think so too after look over the internet and manual of it.
I’ll do the test all 4 ICE boards after receive the kit from Part Express.

Question about grounding cable shield from unbalanced input. I just built one of these (with 200ASC and the Ghent kit), but for a non-standard, non-hifi use.

I am an acoustic bass player, and for stage amplification I am using a very versatile 2-input ch preamp (Felix, by Grace Audio). I use 1 input ch for a bridge-mounted piezo pickup, for low freq, the other for a DPA mic, for mids-highs. I want to use the ICEPower to drive a 4 Ohm cab with 2x10" drivers plus tweeter (the DoubleShot, by Acoustic Image).

On this Pre there is an unbalanced line out, which is level controlled by a master output level control pot. This main output level control is essential for me. If I could, I would rather connect to IcePower with a balanced connection, but the problem is that balanced output on this pre does not go thru the master Output level pot.

Using the unbalanced output on the pre, I can of course go into the unbalanced input provided by the Ghent kit, but I hoping to run as noise-free as possible. There are inevitably lots of power cables kicking around on a live stage floor, so I am worried about EMI.

I’m pretty noob-ish on things electronic, but some research suggests that 2-wire cable with double-braid shielding, if wired correctly, should eliminate most interference. But I have read that the shielding needs to be properly grounded, preferably at the destination end.

If I replace the Ghent kit’s RCA in with a female TRS connector, with the cable shield on Sleeve, wondering what is the correct way wire this to the ICE board input pins 6, 7, and 8. Should the cable shield go to the chassis, or two the input ground on pin 6, or where?

(To keep things simple I will probably not use the XLR in and the input selector toggle. This is a single use, dedicated box)

grateful for any expert guidance here…

also, just FYI, I have a friend who will drill out the back panel for me, so instead of the hifi banana speaker connectors, I am using a Neutrik Speakon connector - more stage-hardy.

I’m certainly no expert but in my opinion, shielding a single ended cable is no substitute for the noise rejection properties of balanced. These amps have pretty high gain and no volume control so you won’t be able to run a really hot signal to compensate for noise, either.

That said, if I was grounding the shielding from a cable, I would run it to the chassis.

for sure, but sadly, I just don’t have a useable balanced out from the preamp. Haven’t tested unbalanced yet, but I may be helped by the fact that my cable from pre to power-amp will need to be only about 2 meters or so. (I mount the preamp on a low mic stand right beside where I stand with my bass for easy access while performing, and want to have the ICEPower box on the speaker cab a few feet behind me.)

you’re right, the ICEpower gain is really high. When I first tested the balanced XLR out from the pre, which as I explained has no output gain control, so the only way to attenuate the signal was to use the input gain controls on the two preamp inputs, (one a mic, one a pickup), and I had to back these both way, way down to prevent screaming. But alas, I really need these two input gain controls for fine-tuning the input gain and mix between the two. The only gain control of the combined signal, post-EQ, on the preamp’s output side is on the unbalanced output.

Could this be done with a jumper from the the Sleeve terminal on the back of a TRS-f connector to, say, the mains power ground post on the bottom of the Ghent case ?

In any case, I will first try to wire up an unbalanced Input cable with the shield not grounded at all, just to see whether EMI hum is a significant problem. The preamp itself is super quiet, so I would think the main interference worry is probably just on the cable connection to the ICE board.

Thanks EvilGnome for the response and the suggestion.

I’m not familiar with those connectors, but I think the answer is, “yes”. Run a jumper from wherever the shield is connected on the connector to anywhere on the chassis. You don’t have to use the same post as the power. I think there are a few holes with the paint stripped away in that area. Any of those will work.

got it.

thanks

1 Like