ICEpower 200ASC Class D Monoblock Build

I decided that I wanted to try building a pair of class D monoblocks. I just ordered the following components (2 of each):

ASC200-MXR(B) Monoblock DIY Case-Kit
http://ghentaudio.com/kit/asc200-mxr.html

ICEpower 200ASC Class D Audio Amplifier with Power Supply Module 1 x 200W

If anybody is interested, I can document the process as I go through it. Just let me know.

3 Likes

I’m curious, i also want to see if you can build them cheaper than the Emotiva PA-1 monoblocks. They sound good.

1 Like

Wow, I love their cable options.

1 Like

I would love to see your build log :+1:

1 Like

I bought the case kit a few months ago, but it has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust. I need to get back around to that.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with build-wise.

1 Like

These 200ASC monoblocks work out to about $220 each (The PA-1 is $299 each). For me, the main pros for the DIY kit is that it uses 3 pin XLR and RCA inputs. The PA-1 is only 1/4" XLR.

If you’re on a tight budget, you can build a stereo version using a 200ASC and a 200AC in a single chassis. Here’s a good video detailing that process:

2 Likes

should give the same performance as 2 monoblocks as well. the 200ac is just the amp part of the 200asc. just no controller unit. saves about 120$ total between 200asc and 200ac price, plus only having to buy 1 chassis.

but if you have the extra funds, i recommend the dual mono blocks like evilgnome is doing. they will dissipate heat better then both in 1 chassis.

1 Like

Building the monoblocks also gives each amp section its own power supply.

1 Like

The boards arrived from Parts Express exactly one week after placing the order. It was very well packed.

1 Like

The cases with the cables and connectors arrived 10 days after ordering. It took almost a week to ship even though I paid extra for the expedited shipping. I chose to be forgiving since these are troubled times. :slight_smile:

It should also be noted that the case does not include any documentation, wiring instructions or anything else. It’s just a bunch of parts, but at least they were nicely packed.

Friday night I did the mechanical assembly and Saturday afternoon, I did all the cabling. I would say total time was about 3 hours. This was mostly because I was relying on a combination of YouTube videos, the amplifier schematic and some random drawings to figure out how everything needs to go for this specific build. But in the end, it worked! The only problem I had was that the RCA/XLR switch had to be rotated 180 inside the chassis.

When I find time to assemble the second one, I will carefully document each step and take pictures.

2 Likes