IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

It does graph like it and I believe reference IS what they are going for. I just believe most prefer to work with headphones than iems, since stage in iems is kinda a meme.

3 Likes

I had considered getting over ears (mainly looked over Beyerdynamics models since those are highly regarded among other producers I know) but my main gripe is that I won’t be able to travel with them very comfortably.

1 Like

How so? Could you point some out to me? I’ve looked at quite a few and all said really good things about them, especially in terms of sound staging compared to a lot of others at this price range and cheaper, which I find important

1 Like

I think studio sound means balanced nothing boosted and nothing forward that way you can decide what needs boosting or emphasising depending on what type of music you are mastering…ie not good mastering D&B on an already bass forward set.

3 Likes

Looking for a pretty balanced sound but I also like having a bit of extra bass, heard good things about the FD5 in terms of the bass

1 Like

Check out my upgrade matrix. I might have a couple of ideas for you but I’m going into an appointment

1 Like

Beyerdynamics are NOT monitor headphones, they are infamous for their treble peaks (Beyerpeaks).

Peaky treble is the problem. (and elevated bass and treble).

It is better for you to go for more balanced sounding iems, a lot of the recent iems are tuned that way. Like these for example.

4 Likes

Do keep in mind though, that the most important part with monitoring is that you yourself KNOW how the transducer you are using performs. So its better to use something you are familiar with.

And it is also recommended to have multiple transducers with varying tonalities so you know how the music you create sounds on them.

For example, if someone is making OSTs/music for a game meant for the nintendo switch, you are obviously going to want to listen to how they sound on the actual switch speakers. While if you are making music meant to be played on the radio, then maybe checking out how it sounds on car speakers would be optimal.

And maybe check how it sounds on mainstream products that the majority of people use, like Airpods.

6 Likes

Is the person looking to do monitoring work or mastering. Those 2 things are different and its pretty common to see beyerdynamics used for the mastering side. As you mentioned they are not for monitoring usually which are what the Sony’s are but those treble peaks are more of a desired thing when it comes to mastering to not overly boost the treble. I don’t know anybody that takes the pair of sony’s for mastering. You might want to check out this thread on gearspace if you want to play around with more pro audio stuff.

Best Mixing Headphone Thread.

2 Likes

I would agree with the guys above that overears are probably better for mastering work but I imagine your doing full service from producing to mixing to live to mastering for those genres - then IEMs may offer a better value & UX point if you need to stay under €200.

At that price try the Aful Performer 5 - they are around €170ish with a set of S&S tips in the current sale. Monitor neutral tuning with a bass boost. The gripes that audiophiles have with the set around soundstage will not apply so much if your using these as part of your production or DJ/live work.

The Fiio is a little outdated and over priced in the current market. As also pointed out its tuning wouldn’t work well for mixing /mastering

1 Like

I’m going to lay it here first. The Neon Pro is over hyped. Of course I’m saying this as my pure opinion to my preference. For me in switch down mode the tuning is already a no go. Way to bass light with no authority to kick drums and bass guitar. No harm there though as I knew it would be before purchasing. In bass mode pick any track with huskier/deeper male vocals even more apparent when it’s a busy song and it’s flaw becomes very apparent. Vocals just get congested and swallowed into the mix and sound like someone a week into a horrible cold talking. I was able to solve the issue, thanks @GooberBM for rec, by doing a 225Hz -2.5db Q1 EQ. Unfortunately I’m not into EQing a set so expensive to fix issues when cheaper sets already do it without EQ.

If your willing to look past that issue it’s a great set. Even more so if you enjoy it in both configs and get more versatility out of it. The midbass congestion is none existent in switch down mode. Still think cheaper sets come at just as strong though and even surpass it and you could come out with two sets and more versatility for the asking price. Its unfortunate for me though because a lot of talk is hailing this a great all arounder and I’m not hearing it with the mentioned issues to midbass and vocals.

5 Likes

I appreciate the tips! I looked these up and unfortunately it seems that these go for a bit more than 200 on Ebay and AliExpress (considering shipping as well)… another consideration I had was the build quality of the FD5’s since it seemed that they could last for a while
I’m sorry if I am being a bit annoying in terms of my lack of knowledge in this back and forth, because I am still confused about all of the different aspects of consideration here. If you have any more suggestions they would be greatly appreciate!
Also appreciate all the help from everyone so far :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All 10 drivers and do not separate the vocals. None of the mentioned problems are present in SA6 MK2, with only 6 drivers. Good thing I didn’t go for AuR audio. In fact, this could not be done, because I was looking for a certain setting and technical parameters. EQ of an expensive IEM - this is sacrilege. :thinking:

1 Like

Also HBB said that Meteor are better than SA6 MKII.

EQ if you want it? Sure thing. EQ that you have to do to be useable? Not at that price lol

If that $180 line is a hard one that you can’t pass, look up these couple of IEMs if you have criteria of “balanced sound”, “a bit of extra bass”, and “sound staging”

• Letshuoer x Gizaudio Galileo: at $90-110, from what I’ve heard about it, that’s going to cover you completely on balanced sound, especially if Performer5 is beyond your budget constraints

• Tripowin x HBB Olina SE: A lot of the same as above, but I actually have experience with this one. This will get you a balanced sound but could be a little light for “extra bass”

• Tri Starsea: If you would be okay with vocals that are more forward than Olina SE, this is easily a pretty balanced set with very good sound staging. Some people have gotten pressure build-up in their ears using these but I’ve never had a problem with that and these are a better sound overall than Olina, to my taste.

• Fiio JD7: If you really want a Fiio, this is the one I would recommend to anybody, anytime, period.

4 Likes

Meteor have worse technical parameters and a worse scene. But they have more bass. If we take that for the better, so be it. I doubt they are better at anything. HBB doesn’t like the MK2 tuning and therefore puts it under Meteor. In fact, DUNU hit well above the price!
And the quality of workmanship and fit is 1000% better with DUNU. So if you want, trust HBB :wink: :shushing_face:

2 Likes

I can’t argue that but, damn it’s so fun to listen to. It’s currently one of my favorite sets to just throw on get phat thick bass slaps. Only second to Glamdring which unfortunately is limited in release. Vocals could be better on some tracks with Meteor but, I don’t find the issue as apparent as the Neon Pro.

2 Likes

Actually maybe the newest TWS from them might be better tuned.

Quite un-Fiio like.

1 Like

Can’t agree enough with this :+1::+1:
I’m fine EQing an IEM if it’s less than $100 but if I’m paying much more than that I expect the tuning to at least be close enough to my preference without any EQ and yeah the neon just looks too muddy to me :person_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Looks super similar to the FW5’s aswell, at least as far as the store page shows it