IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

@SoundEater I’m eagerly awaiting the reviews for sure! I believe no doubt the Kinda Lava will be a killer in the price bracket, especially for us folk looking for a thick low end!

@Ohmboy oooo one day for sure! I wonder how they’d fit :face_with_monocle:

Wasn’t sure where to put this but, how has everyone’s experience with Linsoul been? I just ordered 2 sets from them for the first time and I received ‘express’ shipping but no day estimate. I tried reaching out but got no response back as of writing this. Purchased on the 20th and they still haven’t shipped.

They will answer you, maybe it’s because of the time difference. Linsoul are a good and honest seller. Stay calm :wink: .

3 Likes

It usually takes between 1-3 days before they ship. Probably longer if its a set that is in high demand etc. I have made several purchases from them and always been pleased with shipping speed and communication.

1 Like

@oznoG sweet, that’s relieving to hear. I’m just anxious! The worst part about this hobby is the wait for things to show up :sweat_smile:

I am in the same boat. I assume you’re waiting on Olina?

I am trying to remain patient, and remind myself that the hype surrounding this release is possibly even greater than the release may justify (and from the reviews, that’s a truly impressive statement!). Nonetheless, a quick email to the effect of “orders have exceeded expectations, we will ship your order as soon as we can” would go a long way towards easing my anxiety… Not to mention my relationship!

1 Like

They’re probably overwhelmed by Olina orders. So it might take a while before they ship. When their previous HBB collaboration (Mele) released I had to wait around 12 days before it shipped.

1 Like

@Dzaw I’m actually waiting for an order with the Monarch MkII as well as the Mele :face_exhaling:

Decided to go straight to my end game, accompanied by the Mele, I really wanted to support Chris but I didn’t have a need for the Olina, I already have the Timeless, so I went with the perfect compliment to my monarchs, a warm blanket of beautiful low end. I finally received an email from linsoul at least, looks like I’m waiting about 3-6 weeks for mine to ship out :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

As someone who collects iem for abstract reasons, this is beautiful to read. :+1:

2 Likes

What’s your other gear? Do you have a DAP or a portable Dac/amp?
Are you using Tidal hi-fi or do you have a FLAC music collection?

1 Like

@amon_meiz Absolutely, man. @hawaiibadboy has blessed the community with 3 collabs so far and their all punching way way way above their respective price brackets. He could of easily set the price of he Olina at $150 even $200 if he wanted to, same with Mele. I feel the need to support at least somewhat :call_me_hand:

1 Like

@Baku_Baku I’m currently rocking with the Fiio BTR3K for now. I don’t have a desktop set up YET - only because the only time I get the chance to listen to music, I’m on the go, mostly driving or at work. Eventually though, I plan on getting a DAC/AMP stack and all that, just haven’t gotten the chance to yet. And I use Apple music Hi-Res lossless but I just started diving into Tidal recently. I don’t have a MQA enabled device so I can’t take full advantage of the master quality setting yet but I do heard a difference in the way both services play back. Tidal is a touch warmer and has a slightly boosted bass response to Apple Music for sure. Drum kicks in say, Faxing Berlin by Deadmau5 on Tidal are literally head shaking on Tidal but on Apple Music their a touch Blunted. I prefer Tidal so far! No flacs as of yet, I did have a collection about 10 years ago but I lost them all after my Macbook died. I’ll definitely build it up again soon!

1 Like

It is very likely the companies who are setting the price. In such a collab hbb helps with the tuning and marketing and thats it.
Also not all may find them to be punching above their current price tag, so perhaps they were a bit cautious setting the prices.

1 Like

Anyone heard Penon Serial? 3 dd (1 bass, 1 mid, 1 tremble) looks pretty interesting to me. I haven’t found much on it so I take a chance here

1 Like

@rattlingblanketwoman has one! And this guy reviews it

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that video but I don’t know him. Is he a « reliable » source?

1 Like

Here are my first impressions from January IEM discussion thread - #2352 by thoohil
In the meantime they opened more up and play cleaner. I really love me Serials I prefer them over the Variations all the time. The review from eargasmic is spot on they are the opposite of detail monsters very musical if we want to call it that.
This sound demo might give you an impression

4 Likes

I don’t notice them missing too much in detail, unless we’re only talking about treble detail. Detail in bass and mids is great, lots of texture.

Currently my favorite bass replay to date. Sub-bass reaches very deep, is distinct from mid-bass, both basses have physical impact.

The Penon Fan would be the epitome of trading all sorts of detail for a large stage, super warm, but blurred/soft edged experience with mids recessed a little further. The Serial keeps almost all the detail I think it would be natural to in a track.

Its treble extension allows for air/space, but the levels do suppress some treble information. On the flip side it makes them very smooth and listenable for a long time.

They remind me of two slightly different things - listening in a car with the speaker sound up loud, and listening to a record player playing through a tube amp… with a tweed mesh (just to complete the imagery).

I’ve been listening to a lot of psychedelic and prog rock from Australia and the US mostly, and this has been a great IEM for drums and guitars. It’s timbre is excellent for classical too. My brother recommended someone called Louis Futon lately, and in Storm and Indica, I don’t think I’ve ever had sub-bass feel and sound so good.

In contrast to other bassy IEMs I’ve enjoyed, the bass never feels out of control at all. Impactful, deep, warm, but no blurry picture or encroached lower mids. No masking.

Vocals are not as far in the fore as the Aladdins, and overall less euphoric.

Like Aladdins, a biocellulose driver for lows - I’m realizing this is a big plus to my ears.

I’m finding them very engaging and unfatiguing, while having plenty of bite when called for in some crunchy overdriven licks.

For quite a few weeks now they’ve been my first preference for listening.

While they’re not “better” than the Aladdin, I’ve found myself more focused on instruments than vocals lately, and wanting impact in the bass, so they’ve ruled the roost. Love the shells while I’m at it!

They are both all rounders with a particular ace card, and my priorities have shifted a little from mids/vocals. I think now a deep, well textured, physical bass is an equal demand with good mids for me, so the Serial is providing that.

Aladdin has more intimate mids, has them louder/closer, and has more treble detail and cymbal presence.

@AudiophileResistance

Edit: by rights my Olina should be here tomorrow, but most likely early next week. I have a suspicion that for value and covering all my bases this might happen: Olina as main IEM, Penon Fan as fun sidekick. On its own, the fan trades too much. It is a caricature of the fun parts of the Serial, but nowhere close. But If I have a well tuned single DD delivering a serious and versatile tuning with strong bass and mids (the Olina) I might just want to visit the tubey fun of the Serial via the Fan.

I’m eventually going to have just 2 IEMs, pretty sure of that, but I’ll have to have them in hand to narrow down the best synergy and value from the Aladdin, Olina, Serial, and Fan.

9 Likes

Thank you for your input to all of you. Looks like I went to the right place to get answers. It is appreciated.
My wallet don’t appreciate it tho :joy:

2 Likes