IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Cuz people look down on buds way too much…

(probably due to past experience when they were included in those old dumbphones lol.)

3 Likes

All swing and no sweat, happy to say, but I know that shipping from China to America is essentially operating at 19th century speed right now. It’s gonna be hard to resist picking a model with next-day delivery from Amazon, if I’m just trying it out…

Moondrop chaconne, then return it :joy:

you want it from amazon?

ok.

2 Likes

the poor guy will cry over the fit lol. That aint beginner friendly. :joy:

Oh and foam fitting :joy: :joy: :joy: the good ol’days

1 Like

Even I tore a few foams on the Chaconne lol.

Some feedback on the Iris 2.0:

I wasn’t a believer until I tried it myself.

LBBs > Qian39 for classical/orchestral tho (only 2 buds I have on me atm).

@StevehamNY please do look into this! Earbuds are amazing value for the sound quality!

3 Likes

So I got my BTR3K and it confirmed some suspicions I had. With my UTWS3 I noticed that I preferred the sound from my MacBook vs my android phone. I thought this was odd cause the only difference should have been the codec used which I didn’t think would make such a noticeable difference. With the BTR3K I noticed the same thing. My phone can only use aptx vs the aac on my computer. Are the quality of the codecs really that different?

Thank you very much, @nymz, @Rikudou_Goku, and @Tfaduh! I have some buds coming and I’ll tell you which ones after I try them out with a very deep Classical library. (I have a feeling they’ll do pretty well with acoustic jazz, as well?)

I literally never considered this direction before today, so I really appreciate the advice. Music has been such an escape during these past two upside-down years, and one of the best parts of that has been meeting such kind and generous people as yourselves.

4 Likes

A fair bit of my library is acoustic jazz and I can confirm that earbuds will work great for it!

I’ll have to A/B to see if LBBs is better or Qian39 for it though.

Definitely let us know your impressions when you get them! Be keen to hear what you think!

3 Likes

oh no, so much for collecting the cards!! Bring back the Olina thread.

1 Like

Lbbs hands down. Qian will be too warm and displace instrumentsna lot.

1 Like

in android you have to use players that bypass android compression. something like power amp

APTX is the one with better specs though.

Okay, @nymz, @Rikudou_Goku, and @Tfaduh, I’ve got the LBBS here, still trying them out, but I can already say that I’ll be very glad to have them as an alternative.

(I chose the LBBS for two reasons: 1, I know I’ve had MX500-type buds in my ears at some point, which were cheap and unimpressive but didn’t give my any fit problems. So if DIYs use that shell, I already know I’ll be fine without having to buy another cheap pair to confirm. And 2, I figured why not give the earbud route a fair shot with something that is considered high-quality? Hence the LBBS, which aren’t pocket change but still not that expensive at all, especially if they are among the best. Make sense?)

I know I’ll have a few more questions if you’re up for them. In the meantime, I’m doing an unusual experiment, comparing different music on decent open-back headphones, my biggest soundstage IEMs (fdx1), a much closer IEM (Olina), and the LBBS. Sort of hitting the whole soundstage spectrum, or at least as much as I can with what I have.

Thanks again!

7 Likes

Interesting. Im surprised android would that since that’s kind of the point of the codec… I’ll try it out and see if things sound better

What do you mean by better specs? Honest question. I definitely find my phone (Android) to be muddier than my computer (Mac)

Do try other players like Poweramp, UAPP or neutron.

4 Likes