IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

A user on HeadFi

Lava, if it cost 475. Tea2 is around 350, the 125$ addition feels like a worthy upgrade.

3 Likes

What is the main difference between the Lava and the EJ07m?

The Lava added a bit more mid bass to give percussion more oomph.

Which is a better choice for EDM / synth pop?

Lava has a db more mid bass and less sub, giving it more clarity on the replay and a touch of noteweight.

Itā€™s all about relatives. If you decrease a frequency, others show up. By removing sub and adding mid, you get more of everything, less of sub. If I had to put a giant tunel vision glass to explain it, I would say ej07m is trying to tilt more into U shape while the KL are more balance.

Again, they are both close and very good and marginally the same.

For those only, probably 07m. Pure eletronic is where they shine.

6 Likes

Hear that whooshing, sucking sound? Itā€™s me being pulled into the crazy iem
world. :wink: Love the spatial presentation, vocal detail, bit of bass rumble,ā€¦
Olinas. Definitely some bone conduction effects here.

2 Likes

Bought the Olinas as my first IEMs few months ago. I really like them, but Iā€™m curious about how other sets might sound like. Any recommendations for an Olinaā€™s upgrade? I have a large music genre library but mostly listen to rock and jazz. Timbre is really important for me. Improvement of mids would be awesome.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Would you care to share your budget? To improve on all that, itā€™s gonna be spendy.

1 Like

Have you thought of earbuds?

3 Likes

dbz-dragonball-z

7 Likes

Iā€™m learning, master.
But yeah, I have earbuds in my ears right now, listening to bossa nova/samba music, and the sax sounds realistic (good note-weight).

5 Likes

300 to 500 USD for the moment. Might spend more in the future, but for my 2nd set I canā€™t spend more than that. I also plan on buying a DAP (probably Sony NW-A55) since I donā€™t want to use my phone as my main music player. I get distracted all the time!

1 Like

Never thought about it. Are there good earbuds sets for my needs?

Not sure about rock as I donā€™t listen to as lot of that genre (maybe indie rock), but for jazz/acoustic/instrumental, I really like earbuds. Also, if you wanna just give them a try, there are several cheap options (like 10-50 USD) that are supposed to be very good for the price. You can look at @Rikudou_Gokuā€™s database: RikudouGoku's Database - Google Sheets.
I have one of Rikuā€™s DIY buds, which was 50 euros before shipping, and I use them a lot more than my Olina and S12 at the moment.
Some pros of earbuds over IEMs:

• Cheaper, so doesnā€™t break the wallet to try (better price/performance at the moment)
  • Easy to pop in and out of the ear (although comfort may be an issue)
  • Timbre & coherency are very good (single DD)
  • Havenā€™t had any sibilance issues
  • Stage can feel more open (although if you jump to 300-500++ USD IEMs, I donā€™t think earbuds can always beat those sets, mainly due to better imaging in IEMs, see below)

Some cons of earbuds over IEMs:

• May be uncomfortable if used for >2 hrs at a time. E.g., I have no issues using my Yanyin Canon for 3-4 hrs, while I have to take a break from earbuds after 1-2 hrs
  • Very little noise isolation
  • Imaging: Olina, S12, and Canon all have better imaging than my earbud, granted my earbuds were cheaper than all of themā€¦
4 Likes

The LBBS price/performance champion (IMO) goes on sale tomorrow for $42.(Looks like itā€™ll be $39 with the coupon?)

US $39.36 52%OFF | 2021 Temperament/Ksearphone Bell-LB/Bell-LBs 3.5mm Bass HIFI Metal Earphone 15mm Dynamic Driver Earbud Headset Flat Earplug

Make sure to order the ā€œBellLBs-no micā€ option (the s is key).

(Itā€™s a little more on Amazon of you want the faster shipping.)

Thus bud ranks 2nd on Rikuā€™s commercial list behind only the $320 Chaconne.

3 Likes

For rock, I wouldnt rec the LBBS. If they want branded buds, I would get the Qian39, Faaeal Iris 2.0 or the Yincrow X6 for that.

(or go rikubuds, at least 50% of my library is rock lol.)

4 Likes

Olina :wink: If you wanna stay on single DD for the timbre and coherency.

I had the NW-A105 and I canā€™t recomend it. Take a look at the Hiby R5 Gen2 if you have the budget!

Yes, the best. I was going to sugest it but you canā€™t the need the IEM isolation, as they are open.

3 Likes

NW-A105 especially in EU is probably the most spectacularly bad Sony DAP. It had very limited power output due to the regulations (the limit which you could not take down) + terrible battery (which you could potentially get better by heavy debloating).

NW-A55 is a different story, especially modded with Mr. Walkman FW. I am currently in hospital rocking some new 2022 albums I bought (new Big Thief album is amazingly mastered record!) with it and MEST/Rider 1 alternatively and havenā€™t charge it for almost a week (I never turn it off as well). The usability and portability is on top level. The Sony ā€œmoodā€ playlists are also something surprisingly great. I always missed with non-streaming players those Discover weekly/daily mix playlists from spotify and shuffling the whole library where I have every single genre on earth was never a good idea. Now the moods proposed by Sonyā€™s algorithm are really fitting and there are just a few mistakes if any that I found.

Now I am not saying R5 II would not be a better DAP (as I havenā€™t heard that at all), but it is 3,5x times more expensive + the size is making it less usable than I would wish (I 3d printed the shell when I was deciding on what DAP I would like to go with). R5 Saber was much better in that category, but unfortunately it is discontinued and nowhere to be found in EU

4 Likes

That will depend on what he wants to power + the need for Android. I should try to get a55 and use the fw one day :slight_smile: