IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Can confirm that Kato is different from Hana. Hana has more bass and heavier noteweight with better imaging. Kato is more thin sounding. Not sure about the elixir.

1 Like

Lol just fight the impulse and it will pass :sunglasses:

First people getting Dioko are quite happy about that (this particular guy is pretty active in the community and seem really fair assessing gear). The ranking is from lowest to highest, if it beats S12 that is still a win, question is whether it is worth it to have both. Keith confirms that they are both different beasts (as FR suggests) and Dioko is having much better mids :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah, this hobby gets kind of crazy with hype/fomoā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I can get past the looks. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Letā€™s wait for now reviews, then.
Have you heard about the fit?

1 Like

Guys I have built up the courage to pry my Katos open but I gottaā€™ ask, what tools and procedure I should do in order to pry mine open? Because at this point, my Katos are pretty much in limbo for the seller is not contacting me anymore, Moondrop cannot do about it even though they can and I just want a clear sounding IEM to work once again because it will take a lot of time for me to get a new one for I have set my sights on the ThieAudio Elixir as a new one from my Katos.

2 Likes

You have polished one right? I am afraid the chance of not getting that damaged superficially are quite low in any scenario, but what best what you could have is some kind of toolkit for opening up the phones. https://www.amazon.com/DIYPHONE-Phone-Repair-Tool-Kit/dp/B082D759Y9. Thera re plastic ones as well that may work if there is big gap between shell parts, but I am afraid that wonā€™t be a case in Katos so youā€™d need something with thin ā€œbladeā€ to get in between the shell parts along the parting line. They are normally tight fitted or tight fitted with a bit of glue so you would need to go along the parting line maybe couple of times - see if at some points it gives you more ā€œgiveā€ and at different points it may hold together more tightly.

This guy is a bit harsh and ā€œhomelyā€ in the way he is doing stuff, but you may get the idea.

Generally donā€™t be afraid to try, you have basically nothing to loose - just keep it rational in terms of force used and be careful with your fingers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried the Elixir and really liked it soundwise. Better than timeless, Moondrop Variations and IE600 imho. Slightly prefered the Mest overall, but definitely Endgame level stuff (for half the price). I had some slight fit issue with pressure built up though.

4 Likes

That settles it then, time to save up and get the ThieAudio Elixir. Because I know this is the right time to get a Kato successor.

1 Like

Speaking about the Katos, with all of my frustration and rage pent up, I fucking opened this son of a bitch and fixed it! It feels good!

The sad thing though, itā€™s overall look is ruined especially on the right side. Also had my fingers cut by a knife but in the end this feels good.

13 Likes

Generally polished metal finish for any customer electronic product in constant contact with dust/fingers/another parts is really bad idea in my opinion. Looks good only when new :slight_smile: but great to hear you managed to do it, bad that you damaged yourself

2 Likes

Had to do what I had to do, or else I will suffer from the Katotonic withdrawal aka not being able to hear the sounds of the Kato that I love. But yeah, looks like it still works and I have more excuse to myself to save up for the Elixirs.

3 Likes

You did what I couldnā€™t do with my aria, congrats!

2 Likes

@Erokh I think all the glue that should have been holding your connectors in place, were used to seal the case on your Aria. That was so annoying to see what they did to it.

1 Like

The bass is very different on all three IEMs on that graph

1 Like

Yep and probably for the best for I need to move up from the ranks on the current IEMs I am using. I am going for the Elixirs since they have been proven by a lot of reviews. I want the Seek Real Audio Airships but the reviews for it seems to be lacking at the moment, and I donā€™t want to get risk of me getting disappointed getting it.

1 Like

Hmm it feels like Timeless sounds more resolving vs Oracle. Is it cuz of the harsher treble?

Planar has technical advantages at resolving, but I think the treble plays a part in it.

Anyone with a XE6 have any tip recommendations? Stock works well enough but I was surprised to find that the types that typically work well for me (spinfits, symbio w peel, stock it03 tips) didnā€™t really play to the strengths of this iem, anything else worth trying on them?

Still trying to decide if I like them or not, but before deciding want to make sure I get the tips right (and things like source, cable, what have you)

2 Likes

Further impressions of Dioko, still very positive for both tuning and quality and content of the box. I am starting getting Fomo, but the looks I could not overcome probably

2 Likes