IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I’ve come to realize that my preferences align more closely with Crin than HBB.

Moonlight is going to be too safe, too smoothed over for me and so the Mahina will be a no go for me…

2 Likes

I mean it is not a rating of the performance per se, but rather rating of the perceived potential as he said right? I just finished watching that in the morning and it just aligns with my perceived expectations of his taste. I am just wondering - if he did not measure those IEMs upfront and did not have the FR chart in front of him it is hella impressive that he can quite correctly compare the tuning of tested IEM to specific IEM from his memory

5 Likes

IIRC he doesn’t measure them until after he listens as to not influence his views of said iem.

1 Like

Crin also says like (at least) three different times, these are impressions. Not a review at all. I mean I don’t take his (or any one person’s) opinion as gospel but I’m also going to be fair when it’s warranted.

3 Likes

Yeah I understand, but I’m not sure what the utility of an impression and rating will be if he doesn’t follow up with full reviews? Guess we’ll never know if those impressions ever change, right? Not sure if he said that he’ll do full reviews of select IEMs…Gizaudio (I know he does work for Crin) also does impressions, but then he follows up with full reviews. Anyway, nothing against the man - I preferred his previous style (announcing rating of many IEMs in one go)

In Crin’s case, as he explains in the second disclaimer at the end, is that his first impressions are about deciding if a set is even worth his time to do more listening. That makes total sense, considering the amount of sets he could have to listen to at any given period. For example, he’s only doing impressions on the Tri Starsea now, when that’s been out what…around 2 years now? He’s very much a “I get to it when I get to it” type, so I get it.

2 Likes

Happy to see him taking an interest in UM MEXT! but I’m pretty sure he has graphed it before.
I agree the competition is tough and I only bought it cuz I can get it for cheap. UM should’ve put ESTs and make a killer v shaped set :love_you_gesture:

I was interested in that AQ4 response - if it’s that bassy but the signature takes it well, that’s impressive, and if you contact them on Aliexpress it can be bought for $140.

1 Like

Ya like @nymz said for impressions only 1 or 2 very familiar songs are enough to know; I do it as well haha songs with high dynamic ranges and busier tracks are usually used to feel out the potential. He does rank them later on his website I think, but Crin only does review videos for the most popular ones.

Also, interesting that he didn’t like the Moonlight even though it graphs very similar to the Aladdin :thinking:

2 Likes

That treble does look pretty different, and then there is the driver differences. (addition of EST and change from what I assume is Bellsing/LS to Knowles BA.)

1 Like

I get that, but doesn’t Crin like airier treble? :joy: 5/5–>3/5 is a big jump. This is where a review would be nice haha

haha, yeah more info on why would be great. But I think its because the Moonlight might be peaky in the treble. Aladdin looks a lot smoother to me and probably something he likes judging by his CRN collab.

1 Like

Or Tea OG :joy:

1 Like

:joy:

At least he liked Tea 2 :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Zero tip rolling in these quick reviews for one thing. :wink:

3 Likes

I concur it’s a great set ! Bought mine for US$152

4 Likes

Nice review! But can I ask you what the mod for the chu involves? Thanks.

1 Like

1 or 2 Tanya filter depending on your preference, and any regular tips with a smaller opening than Chu’s stock tips (so no spring tips).

1 Like

Vernus with reference nozzle and Final E tips - really rocking out to The Who with these!

But that’s possible because I’m alone at night. The main reason they can’t be keepers is the sound leak/isolation due to heavy venting. :frowning:

2 Likes

Vernus is Bae. I really like them. The isolation sucks :confused:

My pair is on loan but as soon as I get it back I’ll have it quickly compared to Rikudou_Goku mod to see if it’s the same/close.

2 Likes