IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I mean damn. It’s not like you’d take them from her but she won’t even let you demo them?

That’s cold!

2 Likes

She’s gangster like that. Real cut-throat…:wink:

Apparently she thinks they’re the bees knees for the old school jungle and drum n’ bass stuff she’s been listening to a lot lately. I grabbed them on a whim because I seem to be gravitating towards V shaped tunings in my IEM picks lately and rbw was offering them up for a good price. If she hasn’t gotten bored enough of them by the time I head home next to let me have a crack at them, then I’ll just have to grab another pair. Worse things have happened…

6 Likes

So, if the pair that you bought is in fact the pair that he sent out on loan, then you have a properly good set - or should I say, your fiancé has a properly good set :sweat_smile: unit variation says that my pair has considerably less bass compared to RBW’s, which made my pair come across as harsh. So I can confirm, you will definitely enjoy them, that is, as soon as you’re granted the opportunity to :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Good to know! :+1: Are the OH10s known for having pretty big unit variation? I hadn’t come across that as far as I can remember. BTW, what diameter of the 400 mesh did you use? (3.5mm, 4mm, etc) I have several sizes in my modding supplies at home so I’m just wondering if I happen to have the size you used handy.

As far as my girl snaggin’ the OH10s goes, I look at it as a small price to pay for having a partner that shares my insanity and doesn’t bat and eye when I announce my intention to spend big money on gear. She only poaches gear rarely as she tends to prefer different stuff. Now if it were to become common practice we might have a problem lol! :joy:

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m not too sure. My theory is that the previous owner may have dropped them or banged them up against something and shocked the DD, I think I’ve read that this is something that can happen to DDs if they’re dropped too hard. With the heavy as hell shells on the OH10s, I’m sure they swung out of the precious (edit: I meant previous, but I’m keeping it because LOL) guys hand and onto a table or something. But I used 4.5mm filters, I believe 5mm would be a better fit, but I didn’t have 400 5mm unfortunately, only 200.

You sir, are living that dream :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

Quick impressions before bed on the Tri Star River. Straight out of the box, stock cable, stock (but very nice) Clarion tips these come off as quite spicy somewhere in the treble region. Without having a graph in front of me, I’d say somewhere in the lower treble. Not terrible. I then tried to play with the switches, I settled on the 1st switch in the up position and the 2 switch on the … “KE” position. This seems to simmer down the treble just enough. Details are actually fairly decent, using Get Lucky as a test track here. The small snaps are heard clearly, the reverb on Pharrell’s voice is well separated from the body of his voice. Snares and cymbals do still come off as a bit unnatural but honestly, I don’t mind it. The star of the show I think is the mid bass. It is very punchy, bass guitar sounds very quick and snappy.

Overall, are they worth the wait of a month and a half? No shot. But I think they’re keepers. To my ears they have a nice shimmer which none of my other monitors have.

Ps. It looks like the resin job on my pair was rushed so badly :rofl: looks nothing like the marketing material and provided a decent laugh from me when I first saw them, I can’t lie.

Edit: my ears absolutely lied to me - the harshness is coming from the forward vocals in the upper mids, overly forward imo:

Switch 2 in the off position:

The spike in the air region does actually create a nice airy signature. Probably why cymbals have that unnatural characteristic to them. To me, it’s not a negative, I actually quite enjoy a little more energy there but YMMV.

7 Likes

Nice quick impression :+1: They still look pretty nice regardless :sunglasses:

And I just took a look at the graph - no thanks LOL

1 Like

That’s funny because when I zoomed in on your pic above I though they looked pretty damn cool. Snappy, punchy midbass with treble that shimmers and is possible tunable to taste? That sounds right up my alley as of late so I’m gonna have to go order a pair of these. Thanks for sharing your impressions, bro! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Does anyone know of a 4.4mm splitter?

This whole class of products seems to be limited to 3.5mm with a couple high OI XLR pro audio options that are more line splitters than headphone outs.

Ideally looking for different types:

1. a 2 way that could be plugged into the 4.4mm of a DAP/Dongle
  2. a desktop splitter or ideally a volume control mixer (either active or passive - passive preference but not so picky at the moment) (If active - one that ideally doesn’t have some stupid high OI making it unusable)

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks, bruv :handshake: they do look cool I will admit but my particular pair is a far departure from even the box picture of the set :sweat_smile: oh well - I really like the alcohol paint shaped like a trident in the faceplate, I chose blue but I wish I had gotten the green now … damn! The shells are incredibly smooth and comfortable by the way, I forgot to mention that in my original post. And for someone like you, Jay, that doesn’t like too much forwardness up top, I don’t think these would be for you and the graph definitely indicates that! The switches are strange to me, though. With switch 1 set to on, it relaxes the gain for sure, but keeps the treble detail which is perfect for me. With the second switch up, to my ears at least, it makes the gain too aggressive, just crossing that line making it pretty much unlistenable for longer than 20 minutes. I thought they would make it so with the 2nd switch turned off, or in the down position, it would relax both the gain AND the treble. With switch 1 off, and switch 2 on, it makes the gain more aggressive but also simultaneously taming the treble, creating this masking effect of pushing vocals forward, too much for me personally and losing small details that I enjoy like little bell hits on cymbals and high hats being opened and closed … needless to say, I prefer switch 1 on, switch 2 off. I think it strikes a nice balance.

Getting some more listening done this morning, brother, I’ll hit you with some more impressions during the day! but these are my latest findings up above :point_up_2:

2 Likes

I think Venture Electronics is looking to produce this

1 Like

Ohhh that’s interesting - I knew they were making some 4.4mm impedance adapters which I have already picked up but didn’t realize there would be a splitter as well.

Thanks chap

Hifigo pre-order started to sell the Diva. It is a 2023 revision:

New Stainless Steel Nozzle.
High-Performance Six Balanced Armature driver Configuration.
Four-Way Frequency Crossover.
Three-Way Bass Rotating Tuning Switch.
Premium Liquid Links 7N OCC Copper cable.
Generation 2 Crossover PCB Circuit.
Internal Wiring Upgrade.
New Looks With Beautiful Face Covers.
New Packaging Design.

2 Likes

Interesting. I truly hope the tuning wasn’t touched and it’s another case like the OG Dark Magician. It would be ironic though - I felt that the Diva was the natural upgrade from the OG Dark Magician…

Has anyone heard of the Shozy Black Hole Mini? Seems like there’s a really good deal on it on an AliX seller but I haven’t seen many reviews of it

Little something I wrote up if you guys get the chance to read :handshake:

4 Likes

Ouch people are already struggling to sell their Oracle MK2s. Listings slipped from low $400s to sub $400 at the latest example.

Despite a cold response from reviewers, the reviews on Linsoul’s site (6 of them) are very favorable. Not the best place to find balanced reviews, but it seems Linsoul do keep in unfavorable ones based on other models I’ve seen reviewed on there.

EDIT: “Despite a cold response from reviewers” well I might be wrong or remember that wrong, Zeos has a favorable vid and there’s no doubt he affects sales. Maybe I just remembered Chris and one other without actually knowing what many reviewers thought.

Which only makes their value plunge a little less explicable.

3 Likes

I think a lot of it is timing and FOMO creating a glut of surplus on the second-hand market; Lots of people took a chance based on the name more than objective reviews and, since it ended up kind of divisive to a lot of individual ears, they got dumped fast enough that people have to price them to move. I noticed this happened also, over time, with the MEST mkII and Hifiman Arya; lots of them changing hands fast and the prices dropped rapidly as a result. Bad for anyone trying to make their money back, good for the market as a whole IMO.

7 Likes

Xenns Top is in for a spin :notes:
Gorgeous set :heart_eyes::green_heart:

18 Likes

Very eager to hear your opinion on them!

2 Likes