IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

To piggy back off of this conversation, so many things come into play for me when I’m listening to my IEMs. I find my self loving the NSC LCP buds after a long day because they’re so laid back and easy to listen to, but in the morning when I’m getting ready for work or heading to work, they’re too dark for my taste. This is just one example - my mood, the temperature, lighting, smells like Mags said, all of these factors come into play for me personally. I remember driving back from CanJam NYC with the Monarch’s in my ears, enjoying them like it was the first time. It was so special to be able to have a basis to compare them to - I appreciated them way more, thus making me fall in love with them all over again. For months I didn’t really reach for them because I had so many other things to listen to, but perspective is a strange thing for sure.

My wife is the exact Opposite of me - she enjoys music probably as much as me, but in terms of SQ, I think she could care less. She can enjoy music coming out of her Quarks + Apple dongle on Spotify as much as I enjoy my music with the Monarch’s and this cable, and those tips, out of a BTR7 balanced wired to my phone or computer running flac files and yadayada - I envy those humans who can settle for the simple things :smiling_face_with_tear:

7 Likes

Let’s gooo! Super excited to hear your thoughts. I think I’ve decided on skipping the Legato for now since I have the Maestros, but I’m definitely curious to see if 7hz successfully created a proper basshead rec around $100.

2 Likes

Here the relevant question arises: why do men appreciate quality music more than women?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :grinning:

1 Like

Why do women appreciate flowers more than men? waits to be flamed by male flower lovers

Gender and role expectations mess with us!

1 Like

This only proves my point. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hopefully we’re on the same page, cause my point is that I don’t think men appreciate quality music more than women, it’s just that men are more expected to play with electronic toys and dig into the weeds of the audiophile hobby, just as if we painted with a broad brush it’s not that men can’t enjoy gardening and flowers, it’s just not what we’re expected to enjoy

9 Likes

My legato has been despatched… Bring on the bass baby

5 Likes

I’ll try to compare as best I can to the MMs from memory but take it with a grain of salt!

1 Like

To come back around on this conversation from a few days ago, Timmy dropped his EA500 review and he’s not much of a fan of it. For him it’s a little too warm (even as he acknowledges the bass being a strength of EA500), and particularly notes it’s too energetic in both the early treble and air regions for his tastes, which mess up the vocals and resolution for him.

His perspective is completely valid, based on his preferences and what he’s looking for. And I could not disagree with his opinion strongly enough.

But I’m looking for different things in my listening experience, which is why a set that is fantastic to me is meh to someone else. But everything about his opinion makes sense and is consistent with what we know about Timmy and how he enjoys his music.

10 Likes

wud he be so bold with his “objective” perspectives if it was a Crinacle collab?
i dont think so.

1 Like

Is any review “objective” and isn’t our own opinion the most important thing? We take a punt on these things unless we get to demo them before hand. You win some, you lose some

1 Like

isn’t our own opinion the most important thing?..exactly

No worries, man. I know auditory memory can be shaky no doubt. I have a feeling the Legato will be darker, but that’s just going off the graph. Regardless, if 7Hz could pull this tuning off at $100, I’ll be proud. The Timeless has a special place in my heart, so I’m always rooting for those guys.

2 Likes

It’s entirely seasonal, time of day and environment dependent. A few of my favorites are Oscar De La Renta Gentleman, Chrome, OG Tommy Hilfiger, Dolce Gabbana Light Blue and Acqua di Gio as cheaper daily wear. I feel they all work as more mild fragrances that aren’t spicy or offensive to most and work well in warm weather as all arounders. If it’s a special occasion I like to break out Creed Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountian, Aventus or Island Water. Can’t use them to much because of the steeper price. However, I just buy smaller sample spray bottles to keep the price cheaper of these.

1 Like

Clearly a man of taste. :sunglasses:

Edit: BTW, my cheaper and light daily alternative is A&F Fierce. Affordable and smells pretty damn good. With how many bottles I’ve gotten as presents I must own a gallon or two of it. :joy:

2 Likes

:ok_hand:t5: excellent choices sir

1 Like

I feel boring now - I try other stuff but pretty much always come back to Acqua Di Parma for both EDC & going out.

Been trying out through small bottle collection kits:

Le Labo
Maison Margiela Replica
Byredo

And
Terre D’Hermes is my backup

But still Acqua Di Parma seems to always win out - brain burn doesn’t just work for IEMs it seems.

3 Likes

Like how you brought it back to the subject and kept us from derailing to long.

Can’t wait to here your quick thoughts to hold me through the weekend and hopefully amp me up even more. Mine should be arriving on Monday.

2 Likes

I understand where she’s coming from partially. Like just yesterday my family and I took a day road-trip and I created a playlist for the car ride that was mixed with songs our whole family enjoyed. Then another for the beach that was Gulf Coast Beach themed for the destination. My van SQ is horrible compared to my IEMs and same for the Bluetooth speaker we brought. However, between belting out songs as a family and seeing their enjoyment and vibing at the beach it’s still better as a whole than my IEMs. Music has been and will always be primarily about the memories created and the feelings invoked with it present and in the future thought.

I’d say a large majority of the time I don’t care either. It’s sort of what @GooberBM brought up with tech and also adding my love for music that drove me to wanting to hear music in best auditory presented way. To go further it’s the same for movies. We’re doing a block party movie night today and I’ll be showing it outside on a small far from DV 4k projector. I’ll take that anyday if the opportunity comes, because of the experience, over my indoor setup.

I’m not going to flame you. As a male raised mostly by his mother and now married with kids and the only male in my house gender roles are none existent. I’ve been known to throw together I mad flower bouquet and tend to our garden when we had one. There’s something so peaceful about both of them.

7 Likes

If I could individually like each part of your reply, I would!

2 Likes