IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Hey dude! Is the P1 Max the most musical planar to you?

1 Like

Hey, Dave! For my ears personally, yes absolutely. If you want something with more of a perceived V-shape, then the OG Wu would be the Planar I would recommend, or maybe the new PR2 (although I havenā€™t heard it my self) for a lot less money. The Pandas are special to me, though. The stage depth and overall atmosphere that tuning creates is quite an experience for me and my library.

3 Likes

I want my head surrounded by sound so that sounds good to me! :smiley:
Hard for me to go back to V-shaped signatures, hearing a bit more detail and such with more balanced signatures is so enveloping :relaxed:

5 Likes

I think youā€™d really enjoy the P1 Max then, brother. Itā€™s a very enveloping sound, thatā€™s the perfect word to use. Not to mention the way this set presents vocals is breathtaking. It hangs up there with some big dogs like the Dark Magician and the Monarch MKII for vocals and that isnā€™t hyperbole, I swear.

4 Likes

Hey, I just wanted to let you guys know I got to try the Aful Performer 8 early and I really enjoy it. As far as a quick impression it is really smooth and I like it a lot more than I thought I would looking at the graph. I would encourage you guys to give it a listen if you get a chance.

12 Likes

1685368651662.png

FIIO FD11

I was thinking I should share what I feel about the FD11 after a few days of use, it has plenty of usage and burn in ( 100+ hours). This is my subjective impression on the FD11 and my impression can change later with time. And remember we are all different and can hear different things when evaluating.

It is priced around $40, it is a single DD config. The package is nice to be a cheap IEM, but itā€™s still not premium. You get 3 sets of tips and the stock cable in 3.5mm, no storage case.

First of all, the design is beautifully done. Solid metal shell with no sharp edges, itā€™s also built ergonomic for the most part. I am not alone here to be having problems with a good secure seal, the nozzle is slightly short since the shell stops from pushing them further in. I have larger ears than some and this might be the problem, so the combo of the shorter nozzle and angle is giving me problems. I can get a seal with only a few tips, and I have to readjust now and then.

My wife also tested it and has no problem with seal, she called them one of the most comfortable IEMs she has tested for me. She has small ears so this probably explains my problem. Also she loved the sound of them, she is a bass head girl and also need to have clear treble.

And the cable has already had some talk, it is 4 wire 2 pin cable with a circular design so to get perfect fit you need FIIOā€™s aftermarket cables. Some 2 pin cables with long pins can be used, but itā€™s not as secure.

The sound of the FD11 is good and enjoyable if you like boosted but good bass. Treble has some nice forwardness to balance out some of the bass, mids are slightly behind so the sound is V shaped.

Bass is tight with good impact and dynamics, the amount is boosted. This also goes for the mid bass range, itā€™s also forward and gives the overall sound good thickness. This is my first FIIO, I guess the bass here is similar to what is the normal house sound of FIIO?

Mids are not as present as the bass, and there is some bass bleed into the mids. Itā€™s not excessive so depending on your music and how sensitive you are it can be ok. Male vocals are better than female vocals for me, the extra mid bass gives some extra weight to them. Female vocals are good and never sibilance, but I would have preferred some more presence. Instruments in general sound good, on a few deeper string instruments it is too full sounding.

Treble is quite detailed and clear, and can show some sparkle when asked for. Itā€™s also forward similar to the bass, and this is a good thing as it balances out some of the bass boost. Never feel that itā€™s too much for my taste.

Soundstage is actually bigger than what I would believe, its deeper and with more 3D than the sets I have compared with.

This is just a table where I have ranked them for which having the best sound aspects, 1 is highest.

Just to give a little info on how it compares to some other single DD IEMs, I have gone by ear and not measurements.

Not super scientific but give a little insight what I feel about FD11

1685368651675.png

If you like sound signatures that are V shaped, and like that extra body in the low end this is a very good purchase. And in my opinion it is worth the price over the $20 sets, I am not sure how many are having problems with good seal. It might just be a small group having problems, I still recommend it unless you know you often have problems with IEMs.

Good job to FIIO in creating a nice sounding IEM with superior build considering its price point.

1685368651900.png

1685368652113.png

1685368652282.png

1685368652447.png

1685368652608.png

8 Likes

New Yanyin Canon II

1 Biological Dynamic Driver and 4 Balanced Armature Drivers
High Quality Graphene Single Crystal Copper Silver-Plated Cable
Medical Resin Shell, Galaxy-looking Faceplate
2 Tuning Switches, 4 different musical styles

4 Likes

Go to BUTFAST - have all your cable needs fulfilled AND MOREā€¦

Iā€™m a child I knowā€¦ but like seriously how did they not realise??? :man_facepalming:

Spoiler
They also have a namesake BUTFAST cable in brown copper obviously - with a description that fits both interpretations

BUTFAST Store

7 Likes

Has anyone tried the Shozy Black Hole mini? They are open back single DD and have an interesting design / tech:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHGIQpr

Really hard to find any reviews of the stainless steel version, which happens to be much cheaper than the wood shells

3 Likes

This cable is sexy ngl

2 Likes

Here is one you probably never heard of before and now has graced my ears.
THOR Mjƶlnir MKII
JUST WOW after retune

2 Likes

I was interested in these at one point but opted for the XENNS UP instead. What are your thoughts on the Mjolnir MKII?

1 Like

Just a terrific set dont think I would have dropped $400 on a single DD before but now hell yes, theese are amazing. Live them almost as much as my UPā€™s still my favorite set.

1 Like

Looks pretty similar to my diy single DD iem lol.

5 Likes

Its a great tuning with that MB glide

1 Like

Its a dig driver as well , actually shocked how fast it is.

1 Like

How big is it?

1 Like

12.54mm Fusion Diaphragm dynamic driver. The Fusion Diaphragm is a composite of DLC (diamond-like carbon), PEEK (polyetheretherketone), and PU

ā€œfusionā€, fancy term for what would otherwise be called a composite driver lol. its not really THAT big though. (look at the 16mm DD sony or 13.5mm Dunu Zens.)

4 Likes

While its not the biggest out there I appreciate that its bigger than the standard 10mm we are seeing

4 Likes