IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

For me, the great example is the arya. The stage simply didn’t add to my listening experience. I mean, if you strum an accoustic guitar, the individual strings shouldn’t come from different spatial locations. That’s incoherent to me. (that’s a bit extreme as a description, but it serves the purpose of this illustration)

I think that’s too specific. I can’t create ratings for the naturalness of every instrument. But, on a general level, timbre is a driver here. So you can generally rate timbre. However your own appreciation of that timbre combines with that result.

So one rating might be a spectrum of natural timbre.

Are you on Head-Fi as well? Like I just receive a message from a guy that has the RSV but I also see he has the EJ07, DT3, Oxygen. Those people can be extremely valuable and they’re all happy to share and help you out, like here (says the newbie).

drftr

No, Thanks :hugs:

I don’t need help…

3 Likes

It’s not a sum/count situation. There will be a minimum number of responses to make data reasonable. I don’t know what number that is. Before that, results would be inconclusive. What matters is actually the % of ratings above and below the average. If data is all over the place (50% rate mest above zen, and 50% below zen) then this headphone is probably an interpretive red flag. At least reletive to the Zen. That’s a very simple explanation of the “math” behind this idea.

In most cases, there is consensus. So you will quickly identify headphones with similar, lesser, or greater capabilities than others. And the result can be order rankings. Even if there are 10,000 responses for b2 dusk and only 30 for mest.

You are literally the first person to outright say this. IF so, my opinion of the dusk will drop dramatically (beyond what has already happened)

1 Like

It was previously answered… Blessing 2/Dusk has crazy timbre and coherency problems, which is well know.

Teas, Most tribids, etc don’t have that. Best timbre will be always a single DD, but Most people won’t tell the difference…

7 Likes

Doesn’t seem to work on music rating websites with their complex algorithms but I hope you can find a way to make it work for sure.

drftr

1 Like

Am I most people? :wink:

That in lies the problem. I can say I haven’t had this issue until the dusk. And that’s all I know (no planar or dd over ear or iem has brought this up)

A non-returnable $600-$800 purchase is a big leap of faith.

I’ll share my “negative notes” as well in case it helps focussing on the right questions:

Cable not very flexible, slightly memory prone
Cable microphonics
Slightly deeper fit
2 pin connector
No chin slider
Thick nozzle, no covers, no lip
Larger shell
Fully sealed enclosure can create pressure

Slightly narrow soundstage
Lacks some sparkle, detail and clarity
Slightly thin vocals
Bit of a bass boost
Slightly less engaging because of tonal balance
Slightly laid-back
Subtle tendency to shout

drftr

Okay… I don’t really understand…

So you are explaining to whom?

In contrast there are lots of subjective rating analysis that do work. But, yeah, will it work? I don’t know. At least from an informational community capability, yeah, probably. Having a resource of aggregated “which headphone has the biggest soundstage” by itself seems pretty useful to me.

Sorry, I thought I answered Dynamic…

drftr

Don’t know if you’re special or not. I’m not a great timbre checker. Most people aren’t.

Do you have Mele + Blon? Test both and tell me which has better timbre. To me they are pretty close, but I know some people out there will say there’s a microdifference prolly. Also, you need to figure out what you hate about that timbre. Is it the mids, or treble?

No one is saying for you to buy anything, just answering the questions you raised. 90% of your problem is Dusk. But you might be sensible to the last 10%. Either way, if timbre is all you care, single DD will be your go to (oxygen).

2 Likes

No worries!

U are full of knowledge, tho… I like it :hugs:

1 Like

Looks like something is wrong on the site? I’ll log out/in again as click on the Reply button of Dynamic’s comment and it ends up as an answer to you. If it happens again you know why, but I’ll do the logon thing first.

drftr

It’s been doing that to me for days. Or not tracking who I reply to. It’s weird.

No worries!

It is all good

1 Like

I will have the mele at some point (ordered and waiting). I won’t have the blon.

It would probably be better to order a known coherent BA at the lowest possible price. Anything sub tea pricing that fits that?

Sorry, I don’t have much budget experience. I’ll get GS Audio ST1 (single BA) in a couple weeks, but nothing I can rec so far. I had Lokahi but I can’t rec its timbre tho.

2 Likes

Maybe Audiosense DT200? (2 BAs)