IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

Thanks for the heads up on this. I did read in the (Amazon) reviews that using the Fiio app is essential, and to turn the volume down after plugging in initially so you don’t blast your ears. :grin:

Yeah, def getting it on Prime for easy returns. If and when I do get it, I plan on putting it through the paces to thoroughly test it. :+1:

2 Likes

You’re probably right. Maybe it’s just the tonality of the source then!

2 Likes

Totally agree. This is the one dongle I always use with my phone when I’m not critically listening or using Bluetooth. Lately, convenience has become more important, and honestly, it sounds good enough that I don’t even worry about it. The options in the FiiO app are a nice touch, and the extra power is just great.

6 Likes

Mine came with firmware 0.08, so I didn’t update it. It does heat up though after about 10-15 minutes, which is true. It is not hot but very warm, more than I expected. That said I’ve used it for hours on end without any issues. I really hope it stays that way because I absolutely love that little dongle! I use it at 50%-60% volume btw and it is already loud.

3 Likes

One thing I wanted to ask, to an owner, is if it accepts a 4-pole termination for use with an in-line mic. I’d be sold if this is the case…just prepping for future travels. :+1:

1 Like

So true - growing as an audiophile means you’ve already heard the pinnacle of sound and what it can be so you’re not constantly chasing the dragon. Convenience has become a priority for me too.

5 Likes

I’ve no complaints about the Fiio KA11, convenient and it has power.

Looking forward to picking-up Jay’s Estrella, (next year?), putting an end to Dragon tales.

3 Likes

:astonished:

13 Likes

:100: The best gear is the stuff you actually listen to.

9 Likes

Hey everyone!

I have a Kinera Norn, and recently I’ve noticed an issue that’s got me worried. I’ve experienced a significant loss of sub-bass in both earpieces. The sound has become thinner and slightly more strident.

I’ve already performed several tests to try and isolate the problem:

• Tested on different audio sources: I used my smartphone, DAP, and computer, but the problem persisted on all of them.

• Swapped cables: I tested with both 3.5mm and 4.4mm cables, but there was no difference.

• Inspected ear tips and sound tubes: I carefully checked for any blockage, but found nothing.

Based on these tests, I suspect a potential issue with the Norn’s sub-bass driver.

I’d like to ask for your help!

• Has anyone experienced something similar with the Kinera Norn or other IEMs?

• Are there any other tests I can perform to confirm if the problem is indeed with the driver?

• Does anyone have experience with Kinera’s customer support? Are they responsive? Is the problem resolution usually quick?

I’ve already contacted Kinera support, but while I wait for their response, I’d love to hear your opinions. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Kiwi Ears Canta released and I didn’t know about it

I really just looked for planars, bought the S08 only for a new one to appear out of nowhere :'D

DD + 2 Planar, I bet its either the BA-looking Planar or the small round one. They arent as planar as the bigger 14-15mm ones.

2 Likes

oh like the ones from phoenixcall then

eh, maybe it was the tuning but I didn’t love that set so I’m not missing out on much for these drivers then

Thats a small round type, that one is kinda a mix of DD and Planar tech (mostly DD from the image imo).

1 Like

gotcha, well I guess it’s definitely a wait and see for the Canta

1 Like

I just gave it a try, and it doesn’t work with an inline microphone, but the audio is fine. I think the Apple dongle might be your best bet.

1 Like

Thanks so much for testing and letting me know, I appreciate it! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I haven’t heard the OG Phoenixcalls but I have the Dark Phoenix and for now it’s my go to bassy set. The graph of the OGs seems shrill to me but I haven’t heard them so that’s not for sure.

5 Likes

Don’t bother with them if you’re not a big fan of energy or if you like listening to the actual song lol

Phoenixcall is one of the most beautiful sets I’ve ever seen but it’s extremely vocal forward and it has so much energy it’s like a siren banshee testing the might of your soul

Once you put em on, you’ll see a bar in front of you drain your mental capability. Despite this experience though, I wanna get the Gaea on my ears, I can take em

5 Likes

Phrase of the day or misplaced marketing material, either way thanks for that laugh!

4 Likes