IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

thank you sir for reaching out. yes your review was short.
“But I wouldn’t call it bad, at any rate”…that in itself says a lot
thank you again.

2 Likes

can u please highlight as to whether s08 has metallic harshness or timbre of the s12 pro.

1 Like

Sorry mate, I never listened to s12 pro

I will say, it doesn’t have any metallic harshness to my ears and I don’t really know what the correct timbre is, all I can say for it is that the voices sound like how I expect it

It doesn’t have the same metallic sound of the quintet to me

2 Likes

and note weight? like male vs female vocals…hungry eyes by eric carmen for example.

I enjoy the female vocals on it as much as I do on my Variations, it comes across sweet and melodic, not the sparkliest due to the tuning but I can turn it up higher and it scales pretty well

The male front also comes across as having no faults to me but know I don’t have the most varied taste. It’s great to me it’s thick and got heft without being too overwhelming.

So jumping from Frank Sinatra to A7X to David Bowie, I personally don’t find any qualms about it

The biggest thing about this set is if you’re looking for that signature “planar” sound, this might be a different experience than what you’re expecting. I know it wasn’t what I expected but I love it quite a bit

1 Like

this is truly a fantastic description . i hated the s12pro. that is why i troubled you with my question. thank you sir

1 Like

No problem glad it could help

Its completely different from the s12 pro, its a nice laidback warm tuning that can rumble and slam

For 100 dollars it’s really amazing, although I haven’t tried the other sets around that price as of recently

1 Like

i just checked its squiglink. it has an uncanny similarity with fiio FH9.

1 Like

haven’t heard that either lol but that price is crazy

Honestly didn’t even think look at the FR when I bought this, I probably wouldn’t have bought it if I saw the FR thinking the treble would be crazy drowned out but now I own it, I pick this up if I’m not using Mext or Variations

I wonder if I’d like SA6 too, I’ll wait it out and see how the EST one is

1 Like

Thought I share here also, finished my review the other day on THIEAUDIO Oracle MKIII, I’m very impressed and it’s my top pick for tribrids under $1000.

I have a comparison with Hype 4 in the review, I see this as a natural upgrade path for people who love Hype 4 and want a little extra with fuller midrange and better treble.

12 Likes

is the Oracle Mk3 better than Aur Aehta?

1 Like

They’re here I will get to them soon hopefully and let you know.

4 Likes

dam, 1 day prime? that shit’s tight

1 Like

Yep, I used Amazon. It said tomorrow by end of day last night when I ordered. I did not really believe them as that’s never happened before for me. If they could do that more often it wouldn’t hurt my feelings.

So while I got dinner doing its thing I decided to check them out real quick

Listening to this Album

Source: iBasso dx180 using the NOS filter
Tips: Divinus Velvets
4.4 Balanced connection

First impressions are really good. I see/hear the attraction. Off the cuff it’s giving me similar feels as my Explorer does. The S08 is a little brighter and tad less bass. I prefer the smooth treble cuz that’s how I roll. I’m looking forward to putting this on my Hiby R4 which has a bit richer tonality than either my dx180 or dx260. I’m thinking the Hiby R4 and the S08 will synergize nicely.

This is a fun set for sure !

4 Likes

Hey all, i live in the US, Tennessee to be more exact. I usually order exclusively thru Amazon.

AliExpress has a decent discount right now but i have never ordered thru them. Havent ordered from linsoul either for that matter. Do you have to pay import duties/fees thru either place? Does one have an advantage over the other?

Thx in advance!

I don’t believe that I have ever had to pay duties on anything from either of them (I’m in WI btw). Linsoul has the advantage of their own storefront website, but they also have a store on AliExpress (DD-Audio). You’re about even using either one, while some sales will be better on one or the other depending on the specific sale so I’d go with whichever is cheaper when you look. I think the key to AliExpress is making sure you use a reputable store (look for their reviews/number of the item you’re looking at sold, or you can just ask here if you’re really unsure) and you’re fine. Aftersales service on anything out of China is always a crapshoot, so if you’re really worried about an item or spending big money I would wait until it’s available on Amazon or another 3rd party store in your country (Musicteck, Apos, Audio46, etc) instead.

2 Likes

Havent seen any US stores so will have to look into it!
Lived in Madison and Dodgeville so i know Wisco a bit, only get thru there these days when i take alternate route up to or back from Minnesota.

Thanks again for the input!

2 Likes

The US stores tend to focus on the higher end stuff more, but they live and die by their service so it’s always a great way to go if they have what you want at the right price!
And yeah, I’m down on the stateline ~an hour from madison, so you’ve probably been in my general hood before (I’m actually right off of Lake Geneva). I work in Loudon ~once a year on average, so I’ve got love for my Volunteers, too!

3 Likes

Yeah I was extraordinarily impressed that it was able to hang with my Mext bass wise and had such a smooth treble I couldn’t help but turn it up

I like that the Explorer has more bass but less bright seems crazy, I think this is close to my limit on treble but I won’t know until I try

From Iowa originally, got tired of the wisky joke “why does the Mississippi river flow south? Cuz Iowa sucks” lol. Been in TN for 16 years (yikes time flies), never became a Vol fan but much respect for their programs…will always be a Hawkeye. I wanted to root for Vandy but just couldnt. Mid Tn State was always more of a story than vandy except for baseball.

Anyways, that aint iems. Since i live literally 2 minutes past the middle of nowhere i order online most of anything luxury like iems and computer parts. When i moved out here i was genuinely surprised that UPS and Fedex delivered to my door.

1 Like