IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

TBF how is this any different than the regular chi fi budget hype cycle lol

Lol idk man thatā€™s such a weird take. Like heā€™s talking about how @VIVIDICI_111 should have the decency and respect to ask for permission (fair) but then instead of confronting Jay with respect and decency for something Jay did not do out of malice, he instead sics YouTube on him and gets his video locked for copyright and then makes this video.

So much for do not doing into others what you donā€™t want to be done onto you.

The biggest difference in both these actions is Jays was innocent and free of malice whereas Ianā€™s was quite purposeful.

14 Likes

Yeah, no. Context matters. Dude got seconds of his IP ā€œstolenā€ and was not misrepresented.

Bad take, Ian.

4 Likes

The fact that ā€œimpressive for what they areā€ canā€™t unseat a set that goes beyond that by having more drivers to get there. They have more of a novelty factor than sets that are going all out because they have the means to.

5 Likes

Oh boy here we go :joy:

Iā€™ll make a response tomorrow morning

6 Likes

I mean I get it. Some people dontā€™ like stuff, and thatā€™s ok. I like the Aful MagicOne and I stand by my review.

I think those with multiple sets should try it, but I wouldnā€™t recommend it for a one-and-done kid who just wants to be better at Gaming.
I was clipped, I donā€™t care. Itā€™s a hobby, there is no GoldenEar person, we all enjoy certain products and thatā€™s ok. All press is good press. XD
Ian shouldnā€™t have made the strike, but more so he shouldnā€™t have made the react video.

10 Likes

Sidetracking -
Anyone has any any good solution for getting the humidity out of the metal shell (probably paper filter inside) of the IEM without disassembly (Twilight got channel imbalanceā€¦)? I put it into tupperware with silica gel + unboiled rice overnight, but with no success :frowning:

I am not sure what would the distributor say as it was bought second hand

1 Like

Normally Iā€™d agree, but the clips I used (9 seconds out of 13 minutes) is under fair use (commentary, critic, news etc) so I donā€™t legally need his permission. That aside, I emailed him again for a resolution, if not, the video will go up tomorrow.

9 Likes

Oh the drama
Why does even this hobby feel like a bad soap opera nowadays?
Peopleā€¦
:see_no_evil:

PS: IĀ“m sure another youtube video answer will help /s

PPS: not taking any side

Stick it in somewhere hot like a filament dryer or maybe on a very low setting in the oven for a while?

2 Likes

Good idea, actually I have conditioning chamber available, so could put it for 35-40degC for a day or so without a risk of damaging. Thanks!

1 Like

Cheers all!

Seems like if Iā€™d like more affordable set but more e.g. vocal focused Iā€™d have to sacrifice other aspects. Soā€¦ truly, there is no point looking below 1k for me then. Damnā€¦ :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:
What Iā€™d like is e.g. more vocal centered IEMs but with all goodies, on at least the same level, of my current sets if that makes sense.

My next target would be something from 64 Audio ( :wink: @cal_lando ) . Their products are somewhat polarising; some love them, some donā€™t even care but Iā€™ve never heard the TIA drivers :thinking:
Wouldnā€™t go with U4s but could potentially start from U12t. The problem is, even though, I see all around that their BAs are great, I feel the DDs for base sound more natural to me so Volur but thatā€™s bloody 2,5kā€¦ :sweat:

I use a hearing aid dehumidifing box - can pick them up between ā‚¬10-25 on Aliexpress.

3 Likes

Right, right, but I am just wondering if that can revert once moisture affected filters :thinking:

In regards to the warranty, the distributor claims it is not transferrable, but I am going on a war with them :gun: According to EU ECC which should protect customers in EU it should not matter if it was sold further privately for 12 months minimum in Germany and 24 in most of the rest of the countries.

Theoretically it should be reversible as the IEM is not that old so the filter even if paper should just dry out without too much fear of degradation - I am assuming this is natural moisture damage and not like water submerged. Saying this I always feel like I hear a difference after just not sure how much is psychological.

Regarding the warranty transfer - check the warranty itself as there may be a provision on either ā€˜warranty transferā€™ or ā€˜third party rightsā€™.

Whilst there are laws regarding both:

1. legal 2 year fitness for purpose warranty for new products
  2. legal 1 year fitness for purpose warranty for 2nd hand products

These are both only when bought from an establishment directly. Whilst some individual contries (eg Finland) have applied this directive to include that the warranty is on the goods themselves and so cover warranty transfers on secondary sales as long as notified - the blanket minimum provision in the EU applies the warranty to the buyer and not the goods so there is no legal warranty transfered unless explicitly stated in either the countries own legal framework or in the sales contract specifically.

Saying this - you can always have the original buyer or ā€œpretendā€ to be the original buyer as proof of purchase, no expired time limit and proof of cause (there are about 5 or so rationale you can file the warranty on) is all that is required to start a warranty claim.

1 Like

Having both Twilight and MEST (OG to be completely clear, but it was my favourite set up to date) I would say you do not sacrifice much with Twilight (quantifiable sub-bass presence - yes and probably resolution, but that is open to interpretation how does that work IRL). Not only that it is not a lot to loose, I think you gain a lot from musicality perspective and sense of ā€œopennessā€ of a stage in return. It just plays music better in my opinion than MEST while not being dull or losing details. It is an audiophile kind of fun set, simply amazing

However now that one piece failed out of a sudden (I guess due to higrosity, even though I only used it at home) it is hard for me to recommend that anymore

It is only 2 months old, I would see what happens tomorrow after drying in the oven at low temp.

In regards to company warranty policies I am not sure wether they overrule the EU regulations if they do not complyā€¦

I can ask the original buyer to deal with hifi-passion himself as I asked them in my name already and they now I am not him :slight_smile: I am just wondering how this shitty policy of a store would work if it was a gift for me? I am quite sure that the guy that sold me that would be helpful as he was extremely polite throughout the sale process (which was crazy AF if you ask me as I sourced it from second hand local online marketplace of Kopenhagen), but I just donā€™t want him to waste any more time after the transaction was finished since it should not be his problem IMO :slight_smile:

1 Like

The screenshot you sent is correct but when it talks of second hand goods it means you are purchasing second hand goods from a shop - it is not referring to warranty transfers but warranty creation.

As to the hierarchy - shop rules cannot be lower than a country law which has been enacted based on the EU (in this case directive which is a minimum base that a country can add extra protection to in their own implementation but cannot take away from the EU base guidelines - consumer protection unfortunately was not applied as an EU regulation)

So a shop can add an extra year of guarantee which is then seen as a 1 year additional commercial warranty/guarantee extension (please note that this new warranty/guarantee may have different terms to the initial 2 year legal warranty/guarantee as it is individually negotiated or preforma sold) over the 2 year legal warranty/guarantee that is derived on purchase. But it cannot lower the legal warranty/guarantee or any of the accompanying terms. Nor can they ask or impose conditions that would contradict or invalidate the original legal warranty/guarantee

Regarding gifts - technically unless there is a provision in the warranty/guaranteewhich gives rise to 3rd party rightsā€™ - warranty/guarantees will not extend to the giftee and remain solely exercisable by the giftor (primary buyer). Most decent stores use common sense when applying this and choose to just look at the receipt on return to issue the warranty/guarantee claim or product exchange/refund. But this is solely at the discretion of the store.

1 Like

Thank you a lot for your wisdom in this topic :pray:
In Poland for example Consumer protection can make decisions which are legally binding and act upon distributors, I thought it would be the same in EU based on this ECC.

Nevertheless, letā€™s see how they handle the case, I hope they would be pro-consumer in this case. If not I would be crying as my hopes for getting it back to life by myself without disassembly are quite low. Worst case scenario I open the shell and try to replace this filter by myself, but if it is the driver that is dead, then :man_shrugging:

1 Like

^^^ Thisā€¦dude seems a bit of a drama queen? either that or heā€™s pissed because your channelā€™s way cooler than his :smile:

5 Likes