IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

I suppose your previous run ons with him has helped. I must be one of the deluded. But my view has been coloured by the good service and excellent iems I have received from them. The company has/is having financial issues as are many in these new fiscally challenging times and the owner has in no way helped himself with is obfuscation but being a one man Spanish inquisition for one of the few UK iem makers seems a bit petty. Anyway I just felt attacking some one with out their knowledge was just bit off. Iā€™ll move on. Iā€™m sure if we were to meet face to face we could find many subjects to agree on. Maybe possible as weā€™re both in UK and same age lol. If youā€™re ever in Derby look me up we can debate over a pint

5 Likes

if you burn-in your iems for less than 100,000 hours lower your tone when talking to me

12 Likes

:sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

LMAO :skull::joy:

10char

1 Like
3 Likes

Is this worth a punt

2 Likes

This is fairly off topic but I have to bring this up.

Recently, Iā€™ve joined a few Facebook Audio/ChiFi groups, and holy shit are there a ton of folks out there that just collect these things like Pokemon. Itā€™s insane. Obviously, the world is a huge place, with tons of people but I had no idea just how many folks are into this hobby. Just in the last few days, Iā€™ve seen at least 20 people in those groups receiving their R1s, various Simgots, EM6Ls etc., etc.

Not to mention the love and support KZ and CCA get, holy moly. Youā€™d think that the Castor Silver is the second coming of Christ with the amount of praise it gets.

Idk, I thought this was just interesting and thought to bring it up a bit to get the juices flowing.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, because from what little Iā€™ve gleaned around here, the Silver is more akin to a contact dermatitis vector. This supports my theory that a lot of the market for lower-end iems is wholly disinterested in how they sound - as long as theyā€™re fashion forwardā€¦

3 Likes

That was also how a lot of the watch collector groups were too. I own too many mechanical watches. IEMs were my replacement hobby, and if you stay in the budget gear, it is a far cheaper hobby.

5 Likes

Just curious if anyone else tried Michael Bruceā€™s mod on mp145?
Pulling out the foam and plugging the front vents. (I used the white 3M micropore tape)
It lost some of that laid back style for a more engaging sound.

More abraisive than engaging to my ears. Also using 3M micropore tape here. On the second graph, I find the Brass +1 HD Foam (like the green line from the first) to be my sweet spot.

*Should probably explain that in stock configuration thereā€™s a quarter-length high-density foam at the base of the nozzle. My mod is just adding a full-length high-density foam to the opening before adding the colored filters/caps (like the glamdring without the ā€œringā€.)

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Canon II? How does it hold up in the sub $400 market?

2 Likes

I got to try it at CanJam, and I wasnā€™t impressed with a few moments of listening. Mark from Super reviews has a review of it. Itā€™s very ok.

I think things like Blessing 3 or Aful 8 hold up a bit better.

1 Like

I skipped 11.11 unfortunately and right now I came to a realization that I donā€™t have a beater set anymore besides the Holas, and I kinda want to change things up a bit. I am currently thinking about getting the Ziigaat Nuo which I admit I have never heard of nor was it familiar by it, but @hawaiibadboy did his take on it and so far it seems decent according to him. I could also go for the Wanā€™er SG for I have been curious about those for a while now and the Moondrop Chu 2 which is kinda sad when thatā€™s like the only IEM from Moondrop that is very solid from them, but their other IEMs thoughā€¦ man.

1 Like

Ok, looks like I need to buy some foam to play around with. So you add more foam and block the front vent? Will it not sound more muffled than stock then? Iā€™m not good at modding, trying to understand how it works.

I havenā€™t tested it in various positions, but yes, after unscrewing the colored tuning nozzle I just insert the foam right until itā€™s at the entrance, ensure that itā€™s flush, and screw the nozzle back on.

As represented by the graph, it doesnā€™t sound muffled in an unpleasant way to me compared to stock (rather itā€™s more to my preferences.) Really depends on the listenerā€™s treble sensitivity though. You can shift the pinna downward by smaller amounts using lower foam densities, so you arenā€™t limited to just high-density foam. This is what I used https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803866186059.html.

Should also mention you can also pop off the original foam like MB did and then do the mod for a slightly different result. Iā€™m not going to try all the permutations (some which overlap), but if thereā€™s any IEM to do this with, the MP145 is perfect since the grill is part of the screwable nozzle.

2 Likes

After the revelation of the Oriveti OD200 time to check out the siblings

6 Likes

I like their IEMs that Iā€™ve tried. Thanks for giving these a go!

3 Likes

This is an interesting point and observation.

I always found it strange too - that having say more than a half a dozen sets just makes it futile so why do we(yeah I am part of the problem) keep up with it all and continuously order new ones?

For example, say if a single iem which is within a couple of years old and around $100, like the aria and you own it, what is the point of ordering multiples under say $50? If you have x hours of music to listen a week, wouldnā€™t more sets just diminish your time and steal away time from the better sets that one would own?

I understand for some a us$20 iem is almost the same as a cheap meal and for others almost a days earnings, it is relative but do we have some obligation to the excess waste or emmisions etc?

Not having a go at hobbyists or reviewers, anyone in general just thought what @domq422 highlighted was interesting :v: :heart:

10 Likes

Itā€™s about goals in the hobby:

• Part of it depends on how long youā€™ve been in the hobby. Like my first major purchase was TinHifi T3+. Itā€™s a nice IEM and did the job. A year and a half later, itā€™s not my preference anymore because I did try other stuff (both cheaper and more expensive, that I prefer more).
  • Like in any hobby, you could probably stop at 1-3 whatevers: do people need 8-12 watches (to fill a watch case)? A garage full of muscle cars you canā€™t practically drive on the street? A samurai sword collection? Probably not.

But hobbies specifically are not about need. Thatā€™s pretty much the whole game. Itā€™s whatever you want to get out of it, at the end of the day

9 Likes