IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

It took a while but I finally got these in for a test drive :star_struck:
Pictures first of course

14 Likes

IĀ“m not feeling like writing a lot, there is already so much out there.
The tuning is very well done (first impression)
Plenty of bass that should satisfy everybody except for full on bass heads.
Midrange is pretty neutral, maybe a little boring.
Treble to me is very nice, not too energetic overall but on very rare occasions it was a bit zingy
Technically a very competent set.

I feel like the lower midrange is a little thin/lifeless and could use 1-2db for more body and a fuller sound. I noticed that the most with metal.
This is an easy fix but to my ears this minor adjustment lifts the overall sound experience quite a lot.
In the upper mids it could take a little boost aswell.
ThatĀ“s what i mean with a little boring midrangeā€¦itĀ“s pretty neutral but not so exciting.

ItĀ“s a kind of fun tuning.
Imagine nerds having a partyā€¦itĀ“s fun but also not really :smiley: (where are the drugs??)

Overall itĀ“s an easy recommendation :slight_smile:

PS:
After some more listening there have been a few more ocassions where the treble was a little too zingy
Nothing too extreme but something to be aware of

10 Likes

Christmas Cables :santa:t2::christmas_tree: are a thing apparentlyā€¦

1 Like

Many cables, probably most, do not make a difference to my ears. They are probably made with the intention of being snake oil.

But some cables arenā€™t, and make an audibly appreciable change or positive contribution.

The strongest Iā€™ve ever felt this is going from an average OFC speaker cable ($30) to my current OCC speaker cable ($600).
No, I didnā€™t pay $600 and I wouldnā€™t. I paid $150 and it was well worth that price.

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™m a cable guy too but theyā€™re the last on my chain upgrade listā€¦it was the Christmas thing that made me laugh, maybe Effect shouldā€™ve called it Ares S X Tinsel? :smiley:

4 Likes

how mkiii compares vs variations or moondrop S8 ? all harman tuned?

1 Like

These pics are absolutely siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick dude, amazing job :+1:

4 Likes

Nerds having a party is the best description of this set Iā€™ve heard yet LOL.

Just substitute alcohol for :deciduous_tree::mushroom::peace_symbol:ā€¦

3 Likes

Sorry havenā€™t heard any of those

Thanks amigo! I was not fully happy with the lighting/editing, could have been optimized, but i was somewhat in a rush to try them out :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Glad you like the nerd party :grin::nerd_face::tada:

1 Like

Penon Quattro

11 Likes

Iā€™ve watched a lot of his content, this was the first time I felt he was selling somethingā€¦

In all my attempts over many years, I havenā€™t been able to definitively recognize an improvement.
Likey good, that result, otherwise monies diverted to that rabbit hole would be substantial.

Canā€™t wait for Valentine edition.

2 Likes

I forget when, but I decided to unsubscribe a little while ago.

Unfortunately, for $350 rather than buying this cable, someone could buy a potential end game IEM for most of the hobby. For the water cooler guys, I guess I understand, but for 99% of the community, there is no way a cable makes that much a difference to justify anything over $150 IMO.

12 Likes

I only have a few cables that were more than $25, and I own way too many IEMs.

1 Like

Dude youā€™re totally good with most of the stuff from KBear and NiceHCK, imo. I just asked my wife how much she thought the KBear Glaze cost (it is a very nice feeling cable, with stiff ear hooks being the only downside) and she said $60 - the cable is only $20 or so. This just goes to show that you definitely do not have to spend a substantial amounts of money for a nice cable, especially if youā€™re a non-cable believer.

This may get me banned OhmBoy be nice please but I am a slight cable believer. I think some cables do make a difference, 99% of the time, it is so subtle, itā€™s barely noticeable, but I do think thereā€™s a difference there. Itā€™s more so due to the inductance though, rather than the material.

CanJam was a big component of my cable belief, along with my own personal purchases. I tried the brise 8W at CanJam NYC on my personal pair of Monarchā€™s and there was absolutely a difference in the sound, 100% but it made the monarchā€™s brighter and thinner - not good to my ears.

That cable costs $2500.

Twenty five

Hundred
Fucking. dollars.

No shot, dude - never in a million years does that make sense.

Sorry for the rant, cables are a soft spot for me obviously :rofl:

10 Likes

what you heard iems?

I heard quite a few with prices ranging from 100-3500ā‚¬ but donĀ“t feel like listing all of them.

I see you posting in a different threads asking for IEMs

ItĀ“s best to let the community know what exactly you are looking for and IĀ“m sure you will find a lot of good advice here.

What kind of music are you listening to? Do you prefer an analytical or musical sound? What about bass? yay!!! nay? How about treble sensitivity?

What is your budget?

LetĀ“s narrow it down a bit :wink:

You could also open a new topic for that, the usual suspects will jump on it pretty quick and help you find what you are looking for :smiley:

3 Likes

im started in audiophile from ananda bt HP. was wow sound from my 10years used in travels for film watch nokia bh-905 anc headphones. just natural sound. later i bought focal bathys for closed back,as ananda was open back i never know that before biung ananda. after that starts investigate music sound and bought stellia,as dont want buying triyng resale headphones for find best for me. im tried in focal shop celestee,radiance,utopia,and stellia was my liked all. so,for closed headphones im has end game for life. now trying get iems for so good special sound. i have campfire ara,meze rai penta,both so good,but not as stellia for all genres music. so,want iem for all genres music with details sound tone similar to stellia, but i not listen metal or rock. all other genres prefer.

What is your budget?