IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

i think 900€

I recently was able to try a few new IEMs and a few older models with the latest contributions from my buddies in the tour group, thanks for the opportunity y’all! I did this a little differently since I didn’t have much time with the sets (work and home life just got in the way), I took notes down as I was listening, recording what I felt in the moment. So sorry for the sloppy nature of these next few paragraphs, I hope to maybe help inform someone to either purchase or avoid :slightly_smiling_face:

Impressions 12.11.21

• Ziigaat Cinno - Strange timbre/tonality, mids seems a bit thin for some reason. Good bass and good resolution, and the interaction between the tuning and my HRTF seems to be pleasing. Overall, a nice-sounding IEM, but the tonality throws me off a bit. I’m also not offended by the build quality on this set. It could be better for sure, but it isn’t horrible. - 2nd listening; Cable and source change yielded better results. Maybe a case of fresh ears as well (My Kinera Leyding may have some issues with polarity, oh boy). Timbre and tonality are a lot easier to listen to today, with better warmth. Layering is still fantastic. To my ear, I’m reminded of the Hexa, and when I look at a graph; yup. Makes sense. A less intense Hexa. The Cinno has a more effortless approach to its technicalities, nothing has to be pushed up unnecessarily in order to come across as resolving. Most will find these boring most likely, but I’ve come to really enjoy this type of sound sig. Clean, almost sterile but a little bit of warmth brings the entire thing together nicely. Out of all the sets I’ve heard, these would be my #1 pick for ultra-neutral listening, dethroning the Hexa due to a more laid-back pinna and early treble, complimenting the lower bass shelf, making these come across bossier than what the graph would indicate.
  • Artti T10 - The build on this set, however, is despicable. It really does feel like a little toy in the hands with that plastic shell, and seam that runs all the way around. V-shaped, but fun, with good dynamics, decent details, and good resolution. Overall, fun set with a nice bass for the money.
  • Modded EA500 - Quite frankly, I can’t tell a huge difference from memory, but these sound great. Plenty of bass, sub bass seems to be increased, and upper mids are smooth as silk. Fit is still tough for me though. Biggest downside. Otherwise, the strongest set of the morning (unsurprisingly).
  • Kiwi Ears Melody - The bass does not hit with enough authority down low. It’s there, and it’s snappy with a quick transition into the mids, but the texture isn’t there in the rumble of the sub-bass. Otherwise, smooth vocals, and nice details up top with the treble.
  • Muse East 6 - Heyo, the fit on these is actually insane. Not to mention, they’re god damned huge and pretty damn heavy. Probably heavier than the OH10?! I didn’t think that was possible! Anyway, once you get the fit sorted, the sound is actually quite good. It all seems very balanced, nothing is standing out to me as ‘incorrect’, and it’s a rather nice listen, albeit a short one, that damn fit is too fiddly. Also, I know these are a nozzle-swappable-IEM, it appears as though I have the black nozzle on here now so I can’t speak on the other options in the box. The black nozzle is a mid-bass focused, slightly warm sig. with just enough upper mids energy and a slightly darker treble. If you can get over the fit, I think these would appeal to most people.
  • Artti R1 - I was so excited or these when they were first announced, the triple DD set up, full metal shell in green(!), then the graph was released and my hype only climbed… so why the hell am I so underwhelmed by this IEM? I find the bass rather pillowy, with very little definition, the stage comes across a little closed to me as well. Nothing is stepping out at me and grabbing my attention. It’s probably fine, but it doesn’t pass the vibe check. Dammit, another one bites the dust. Jesus Christ, I can’t put my finger on it, the bass almost comes across as hollow? I can’t explain it. Something is just missing there and I’m not smart enough to put it into words.
  • BQEYZ Wind - I’ve read up too many hype words on these for my impressions to be uncolored, unfortunately. One that stands out to me right away is ready these have a subwoofer-like replay and man, I was sitting here waiting for that to happen, tried numerous tips to ensure the BC driver was coming into contact with my ear and I never got this subwoofer effect. Instead, I listened to an IEM that has fantastic layering and resolution without ever sounding thin or shrill. These are awesome IEMs if you’re looking for a high-quality SQ, stunning build quality, and possibly some cool tech with the BC, I just cannot sit here and say I can feel/hear it to a degree that it’s blowing my mind. It’s there in small quantities, but it doesn’t feel like a subwoofer to me. On the flip side, these seem to have a wider stage than normal, details are wonderfully displayed here, and even though the upper mids are fairly forward, it’s nicely balanced. I should note all that here. Yeah, I can’t find a flaw in its playback besides maybe I’d like more bass and less pinna to make the sig. warmer overall but that’s a preference thing. Good set.
  • 2019 Andromeda - Hold the phone - I enjoy these. Going from the Wind to the 2019 Andromeda was a recipe for disaster. I had no idea of the sound sig of these going in if I can be upfront. These are very very warm, with a super relaxed pinna and a little twang up top in the treble around 10k to throw some nice sizzle on the transients to ensure it’s not too slow sounding. I enjoy these, very much so, actually. I can crank up the volume significantly and never have to worry about sibilance or vocals being harsh. So, I like the tuning, that’s good… but I can tell these are an older pair of IEMs based on what I’m hearing in the techs department. The bass doesn’t have much texture or speed, and vocals, while very satisfying in tone, don’t have much in the way of texture or detail either. The layering is fairly good on these for my ears because of the whole relaxed pinna thing, there’s very little masking, but I think that’s more an effect of the tuning rather than the driver quality. I’ll sum these up this way - I very much enjoy these, in today’s market, these would fetch around $150 - $200 at most I think. If you’re looking for a very warm tilted playback, that you can listen to for hours, I think these win and win well. But only for a decent price second hand :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for reading, guys.

16 Likes

I think this could be a hit

It’s very new, so no reviews out

Good Allrounder i have heard

Letshouer EJ07m
Yanyin Mahina
Xenns Top
Oriolus Szalayi
Monarch MKIII

But in the end you really need to listen with your own ears if you like something or not

6 Likes

Very fair, very helpful impressions. :beers:

2 Likes

Thank you, dude :pinched_fingers::handshake:

1 Like

Do you think the DB Monroe will get a spin? I fully understand them not being a priority among the others.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I had to pick and choose this time around on what I could listen to - my son has stayed home from school two days in a row now and on top of that, my wife has this entire week off - this equates to me just simply not having much time for my self :smiling_face_with_tear: so the Monroe, Aladdin, JoyAudio set and the IMR had to take a back seat :frowning:

I have to get these sets over to Brandon tonight, I’ll make sure you know once I get there and he has em!

3 Likes

He did, I have them

2 Likes

Dom I think you might like the S15 then, also another neutralish set but with the air (and better tech) to back it up. Bass doesn’t sound light either, very tight and well-controlled. So far, the S15 feels like the direct upgrade to the Hexa/Cinnos. I’m not getting much Planar vibes from it, but gonna need more listening :notes:

4 Likes

thanks. im looking to mkii ,mkii or bgvp dm9 or bgp phantom. from list those are far lower sound quality vs monarch mk iii? - Letshouer EJ07m
Yanyin Mahina
Xenns Top
Oriolus Szalayi

Mon MK3 and done. Set aside 07M.

what bad with Letshouer EJ07m vs mkiii?

You’ll know when you buy it :grinning:.
But joking aside, for this money either TOP or MK3.But to save a possible upgrade from TOP to MK3, get MK3 and you’re done! :wink:

2 Likes

While I liked the tuning of the Top a lot, I would probably skip it and go straight to MK3 if budget allows. Xenns Top really doesn’t sound that great for a 530 dollar IEM. Plus MK3 has 2DD :star_struck:

2 Likes

Yes. And let’s not forget this:

:fire:

1 Like

mkiii warm sounding? im read mark i or mark ii is neutral more sounding

I just received the OD200 and I can only second everything you wrote. This is an amazing IEM and it is a no-brainer for the price, booth the build quality, design and accessories are all above $199. And the single DD is doing such a fantastic job, I am really enjoying this IEM.

It is clearly worth $199 and $250-$300 would also be an acceptable price.

3 Likes

Interesting stuff - tbh at $330 I’m out. Shit, anything over $100 as of right now, I’m out. Unless someone shakes up the market big time under $1000. We shall see in 2024 what this hobby has to offer. I hope more companies take some chances and for the love of god, I hope the releases slow down a bit lol

6 Likes

You can always wait for used units, too! Nothing wrong with making a list and waiting…

5 Likes

The Mk3 definitely is a reference sound, very clean, but it’s not missing any of that fun or body because of the very controlled low end. I wouldn’t call it Warm per se; it’s more of a very natural tuning where it will be bass heavy when the genre/track calls for it, all while never bleeding into the midrange or getting to overbearing.

2 Likes