IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

They certainly are in try-hard mode.

2 Likes

Agreed slow down KiwiEars!

I just had my first listen to the Orchestra Lite.

Nice mid bass speed and texture, nice vocals relaxed upper end like 80% EA500 but warmer and slight more vocal forward if that’s possible?

5 Likes

So I’m guess the new Letshuoer Cadenza is gunning for the U12t’s 12 BA driver :crown: then?

V’s

1 Like

The Cadenza has a DD for bass. I wouldn’t say it sounds close to U12t. Bass is less elevated for sure.

I’m going to have another audition soon and will share some thoughts.

The shell build quality is spectacular. Treble was a bit intense for me at first listen but there was lots to like in the mids.

2 Likes

Some FiR Audio RN6 impressions:

1 Like

The Moondrop LAN is what we expect from Moondrop in terms of tuning. While not a bad thing to my ears, some hobby veterans may find it too familiar. However, the Moondrop LAN is a surprisingly competent performer from a technical perspective. I would go so far as to say that the LAN is to the Aria what the Moondrop Starfield was to the Moondrop KXXS, which is to say the lion’s share of the performance for a substantially lower price.

My full review is available in my HiFiGuides thread.

1 Like

Anyone interested in buying a YanYin x HBB Mahina in Mint condition?

Check out the full rant on the main channel, lol, i enjoyed it :smiley:

4 Likes

So those bad boys are in town. Very heavy, nicely built, but questionable esthetics for my taste. HUUUUGE nozzle, even bigger than Truthears Zero, so I have a problem with putting my favourite tips on to get proper seal for this heavy bass they (VE acolytes) were talking about (just in case - the picture is with the stock tips right out of the package - the dirt is from the transportation, not my ears :face_vomiting:). They have very low profile, so they are very comfortable though

Because I have problems with seal right now it is hard for any rational conclusions - I hear big bass potential, but it is not as prominent as I would expect (though Bad Kingdom by Moderat is heaaavy and somewhat muddy).
Treble is not as harsh on the other side as I was afraid, though snare hits from Spoon kills me as usual.

Overall better than expected, but I was unlucky enough that I was listening to MESTs for past few days (mastering of songs of Sufjan Stevens on them is :fire:), so it is hard to be amazed with anything in comparison

Ed: with large spinfits W1 the bass is sooo rumbly, like wtf! I now know where the comparison to Maestro Mini comes from! From my memory SIE is less clean, but not bad still!

7 Likes

2 Likes

What I find so unique about the Magma: It delivers such a wonderful warmth in the lower mids. In combination with the energetic upper mids you’ll have a very musical and airy experience (regarding makro details). The delightful Bass and the laidback Treble just complete the overall balanced and fun but safe tuning.

Best regards a proud Magma owner.

2 Likes

That sounds like a pretty dope package, man. Your description reminds me of the OH10. Warm low end, but sparkly highs.

Speaking of the OH10s - I decided to get some tuning filters in various sizes and densities to try out some light reversible modding on my current and future IEMs. The first set I chose to mode was the OH10. I love this set, the fit and build are literally second to none. Not to mention, I know they are a very capable IEM - the staging and layering to my ear is uncommonly wide and spacious. I’m not sure if it comes down to the solid copper shell but regardless, I always found them to be too harsh and hot in the upper mids.

Not anymore.

With some 400 density tunings filters, these things are pretty f’Ing unbelievable for the price I paid for them. Thumpy mid-bass, with plenty of grunt backed up by the sub bass, lots of texture in the mids and the treble is airy and sparkly with above average detail in my opinion. The star of the show though, the vocals especially female, are nicely forward in the mix, cutting through the bass so perfectly. I can’t recommend these enough if you can get them on the 2nd hand market under $100, which is where I got my pair. I also paired them with a surprisingly great tip off of Ali. I’ll link em both below.

US $2.73 40% Off | 20pcs DIY Earphones Tuning Paper Damping Front Shell Filter Mesh Increase Low Frequency
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL3WMtg

US $3.04 4% Off | 6Pcs Silicone Ear Tips for Sony WF-1000XM4 Eartips WF-1000XM3 True Wireless Earbuds Tips Earplugs Earphone Silicone Case Ear Cap
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP2804q

The tip case they came with is also so overkill and amazing. Plenty of storage for tips :handshake:

11 Likes

Venture Electronics SIE - supposedly magnesium-aluminum alloy single dynamic driver IEM for 99$.

Disclaimer
Take this review with a huge pinch of salt - I focused on bass heavy music genres, because I feel this set is made specifically for them. It is treated for me in fun set category. Just like Truthears Zero and Tri KAI was. I don’t have either of them at this point even though I enjoyed them almost as much as I do SIE right now, so I don’t know if after some initial honeymoon period this would not end up in someone else’s hands as well. Also purchase of this set was really random and stupid, so I may be subconsciously affected with buyers bias.

Intro
With all that being said - this is a really crazy fun set. It is probably how I always imagined OH10 is. It is more L than V in my opinion, as it is not particularly bright (and harsh) and the bass elevation is definitely higher in SPL than any treble peaks are masking any potential brightness.
I wish I have 711 clone to measure the real life frequency response (nowhere to be found) or FatFreq Maestro Mini back at hand to cross compare, but I strongly believe from memory of same tracks it is there or almost there to MM in terms in low end emphasis.

Build quality

• SIE has really solid shell and it is also very heavy (by far the heaviest IEM I had). The polished case is a fingerprint magnet, I don’t like it’s bling bling type of aesthetics as well.
  • Cable (VE Vita) looks sexy though and has really nice hardware. From usability perspective it is by far too stiff for my taste though. Also because of rotating MMCX connector, lack of earhooks and stiff isolation it makes it not perfectly well behaving cable on my ears (without glasses it sometimes end up in front of my ear).

Fit and comfort

• It has very large diameter and very short nozzle. It reminds me of Mele and Olina type of build and fit, which is quite problematic with my anatomy. It was pain to tip roll to find proper seal because of both the dia and lenght. I am using large BGVP W01 right now, but it is still not something I would call 100% what I would like it to be. But I don’t know if I would want more bass…
  • Comfort understood as feeling in ear is very good though, it’s low profile makes it even possible to be used laying with head sideways with not much pressure on the canal.

Bass

• Bass quantity unsurprisingly swallows on MEST, Erasmus and any other IEM and bud I have all together, while it’s quality is also very decent. It is plenty detailed, but not really the set to contemplate every pluck on the bass guitar (OTOH - famous bass line 1st track from Fishmans Long season works very well with the bass emphasis of SIE).
  • My outer ears rumbles like it has some vibrating motor attached to it on. My teeth are aching from time to time on tracks like Jamie XX - Girl. I tend to have nauseous feelings in stomach from time to time as well. And I take all of it as a compliment for SIE.
  • In terms of the control of the tuning
    it goes a bit too far into the lower mids for any instrumental, singer/songwriter music, but again - I was expecting much worse bleed.

Mids/Vocals

• As compared to MEST vocals are behind some kind of veil (I mean everything I compared to it was), but in general not bad and not too recessed for my taste - speaking as a vocal head. Not too bad even in direct comparison, which is quite shocking.
  • On the other hand if you are looking for set specifically for female singers - look elsewhere - they would most likely be too nosy.
  • Male vocals are also too warm to be particularly natural (like Eric Clapton in Wonderful tonight normally is like under a blanket, on SIE it is fluffy and sweet like a little kitten).

Treble

• I heard it would have large peaks in 6k-7k which is not my worst part of FR range in terms of resonances, but close enough to be a bit concerning, but in real life it is not too bad.
  • It tends to get just a bit sibilant on sibilant prone tracks (Feist - I Am Sorry (vocals and snares), Portishead), but overall it is much darker than typical V shape would be expected to be. It avoids high 3,5-5k Hz peaks, so some may say it is even a bit smooth. Apart from tracks with most emphasised cymbals on recording I would say it is never fatiguing.

Technicalities

• It has ok stage for IEM (feeling like the sound is coming from the surface of the pinna, not any millimetre further away).
  • Details - hmm, not better, not worse than any decent set from past 12 months, but I think “huge differences” in detail retrieval are a bit overhyped.
  • It has decent layering and dynamics, but due to tuning sometimes the bass just hides the rest of the frequency response on specific tracks recorded with multiple layers in mind.

Source scaling - joking

Summary
I don’t know how would that compare to something like Rosefinch, but in general - for a freaking stupid blind buy and for the money I spend it is really great piece of gear for what it is supposed to be (set for rap, dance, modern pop - I guess also for electronic music like house, EDM etc but that is not in my library) . Very good quality, in general very good cable, nice case. Lack of other reviews, very limited options to source probably won’t allow it to become hyped as other sets lately, but if you are into bass heavy sets and are able to catch this set somewhere I would really want to hear some of you guys opinion. Because it is known that my hearing sucks ass and I like everything :smiley:

12 Likes

I loved the sound of them but the angle of the nozzle makes them very uncomfortable. :cry:

Thanks for taking that bullet! Im glad it worked out for you. You mentioned the rosefinch so I have to ask

1. how is the bass compared to it
  2. for a basshead set, is it worth the money over the rosefinch?

Oh really? For me, the nozzle is so short that it’s tough finding the right tip in order to get a good seal. The tips I linked to above really does a good job at being comfortable but also giving a nice seal. I’m sorry the OH10s didn’t work for you, man :,(

I think that the shell is so ergonomic that it forces the nozzle in a bad angle.
That’s alright, still on the hunt for a great, fun V shape IEM.

Makes sense. For me, they’re probably one of the most comfortable IEMs I’ve ever tried. In terms of a fun, well done V-shaped IEM, have you tried the Fan 1 before? If not, I know @rattlingblanketwoman was selling his pair for a steal. So good, I almost bought them but talked my self out of it lol

1 Like

I am sorry, but I don’t have and never had Rosefinch. It was just a set I referred to as it is also somewhat very bass focused and popular lately (my only cheap set on hand is KZ CRN, but it is nowhere near as heavy in low end).
But from experience in the hobby my wild guess would be that SIE cannot be worth 4x extra money over Rosefinch for the SQ alone. As most sets in the world don’t scale like that :slight_smile:

1 Like