IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Sennheiser US has promo for IE600 for 349$… Probably a bit overpriced at MSRP, but with that price I think it is quite crazy if your ask me

4 Likes

From the other thread, it looks like a pricing mistake they backtracked on.

1 Like

Likely, but better question is if they will honor the people that bought it during that time.

2 Likes

I was lucky to get a Lumia 1020 back in 2013 unlocked at a silly price due to an Amazon listing mistake, some people’s did get canceled but mine went through! Really liked that phone.

1 Like

All hail Glamdring my new benchmark to which all other sets will have to battle for a place in my rotation. RedEyes aka Shortbus or whatever he may be if he lurks in the shadows here is slashing the masses with a sub $250 set. This thing is swinging swords :dagger: at the $1k big boys.

IMG_2305

9 Likes

The Moondrop Jiu could represent the budget IEM market’s next big leap thanks to its integrated DSP. This technology will allow manufacturers to squeeze out even better tunings from entry level drivers, adding to the amazing progress the market has made in recent years. If you already have the Chu, getting the Jiu is not a must. But if you’re curious about integrated DSP, you should give the Jiu a listen.

My full review, with a subjective comparison to the Moondrop Chu, frequency response measurements, and additional images, is available on my blog and in my HiFiGuides thread.

I’ll be joining you as one of the other sword brothers next month (hopefully)!

1 Like

Wowwww cool! Super awesome that you got a set already! I watched Paul’s take on it some time ago, and he really liked it too. I’m tempted, but I’m not the biggest fan of planar timbre - that’s why I sold my S12. What’s your opinion of its timbre?

Edit: Paul reviewed the Eru, and I’m not sure if and how the two are different

1 Like

Paul and others are saying the timbre is DD like. :wink:

2 Likes

Michael reduced the gain and upper mid region so much that I would be super shocked if anyone heard metallic planar timbre in that set. The tuning looks meticulous that way

Yup, my theory is planar timbre is mostly in the treble and uppermids being too much and too jagged

3 Likes

I also find IEM planar bass to be a bit too…soft and lacking thump. Could be the speed of the driver, dunno, but it wasn’t for my liking :pensive:

1 Like

I’m probably not the best candidate to speak on timbre. It’s not something I’ve ever really been turned off on or pay particular attention to. Thumb though on the Glamdring is there and for me in no way soft. Kick drums and bass guitar have amazing authority and presence.

2 Likes

did you ever add the big bass shelf (IIRC something like 6db) like i think Michael Bruce suggested at one point early on with the S12? I was surprised at how hard it hit.

I tried with XBass on my ifi Zen DAC. It did give serious subbass rumble, but something about the bass was still off, maybe the transients, something was a bit quick. Anyway, I’ve been tempted by P1 Max because people are saying it’s DD-like, but I’m practising self-control :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What is this? Another sub-$150 1+4 hybrid? This hobby, yo!!!

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $107.10 36% Off | EPZ K5 Earphones Wired In Ear Monitor Headphones Resin Sport Noise Cancelling Headset HIFI Bass Earbuds Game Competition
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO9EoZA

3 Likes

I saw the graph and got a bit scared by the 5 to 8 k area. Is it as spicy as it looks on graph?

Tony’s had a gander I believe:

5 Likes

I don’t find it spicy at all; if anything, it’s smooth (but present) up top IMO. For the record, this is the graph that came with my pair (and I don’t hear anything different from what I see here):

3 Likes

Plus, if you look at frDB

And do an EQ at 8000Hz, -4dB, 3.0 Q to mimic removing the coupler resonance both Glamdring and another “scary” graph in SGOR Venus look much better

1 Like