IEM fit & comfort nightmares

My limited experience with IEMs taught me that heavy metal shell isn’t for me, i always get either fatigue or pain. Just by the look of it i know i wouldn’t like the FD5 comfort, not too dissimilar to my KC2.

I’m real lucky with IEM fit from FH7 to Spring 1’s, P1’s and 'heavy metal" :metal: Z1R’s etc…finding the correct tip size and insertion depth is imperative not only to comfort but also sound quality, all IEM’s depending on design, shape require individual work in this area …I use various tip sizes, bores and brands to achieve this.

I’ve tried several tips from various manufacturers. The best I can do is SpinFits, due to how they bend once inserted into the ear canal. It’s driving me crazy. Its more of an irritation versus pain. Enough that I can’t just sit back and enjoy music for hours on end. I’m hoping I eventually get used to it, because the FD5 really do sound good.

That’s really my only issue with the FD5, but it’s really not much of an issue. It’s not painful, it’s just the fact I would have found a universal shell more comfortable and a better overall fit.

The FD5 is awesome and it’s going to be staying in my collection for sure, I just wish it had a shell shape and material design similar to the FD1. That’s just my personal preference. I do give Fiio credit for trying something different. I love the appearance of the FD5. LOVE it!

1 Like

Pick only 2 of these:

Sound

Fit/comfort

Price

:joy:

Agreed.

I’ll use them for another week or so and see if I get used to the feel. I really hope I do because I love the sound!

You can try O rings to push the tip further out, or deeper tips so the IEM doesn’t need to go as far into your ear. Might be worth a try?

I’ve tried that. Longer tips just cause the iem to rub the ear in a different spot.

Unusual but relevant I guess. The Koss KDE is not exactly an IEM, but definitely weird fitting, uncomfortable, and even painful at times. And I’m one of the lucky people that can actually fit these in my ears. :^)

Discomfort is not a dealbreaker for me, but the speakers kept slipping out of my ear canals since they kind of just hang there without gripping anything.

After I bought some earphone fins/grips thingies, it largely solved the stability issues. I can actually go run with them now, and it doesn’t take 20 seconds to adjust anymore. :smiley:

A pic of these weirdos.