IEM Recommendation: Low Impedence & Bass

Hello all, as the title states I am looking for an upgrade to my Blon 03s that fulfills the following requirements:

• High Sensitivity/Low Impedance to synergize with phone source
  • Works well with modern music
  • Preferably not Chifi

For now I have no budget, but obviously there are some unrealistic choices out there. I plan on using them to commute with my phone (LG G8), maybe at some point I’ll invest in a DAP but probably not anytime soon. Bass heavy IEMS are great as long ad they don’t sacrifice other parts of the FR. I was thinking Sony IER-Z1R, but they would not synergize well with my phone, necessitating an additional $1000+ for a DAP.

EDIT: I had also looked at possibly finding a pair of used LCD i4s and EQing them, so if anyone has experience with these on a phone I’d love to hear how they performed

I have the Sony IER-Z1R and an LG G7. The Sony IER-Z1R sound great on the LG G7, but the Sony IER-Z1R does require more power than other IEMs that I have tried. Not sure if the volume amount of the same as LG G8, but my LG G7 has max 75 volume and I put the volume at 60-65 with the IER-Z1R where I normally listen to other in ears at 40. What kind of music do you listen to?

I usually listen to my music at 55-65 on the G8, they are probably similar in power output. I listen to artists such as Flatbush Zombies, Run the Jewels, Kid Cudi, Deadmau5, Bonobo, Nero, etc. But I also dabble in most other genres. Honestly the i4s tempt me as I have not yet had anything open-back so far. They might stink for being outside or I might enjoy still being aware of my surroundings.

Can’t really comment on the i4s since it’s been 2 years since I have tried them. You probably will go same volume or close to max with IER-Z1R, I usually use customs so I don’t need to do above 50. If you are looking for bass quantity, the IER-Z1R are probably not for you. The IER-Z1R is more balanced to my ears. The bass is definitely there when you need it, but not like rumbling amounts of bass. The rest of the frequency range sound amazing. If you listened to a wide variety of genres, I would choose IER-Z1R over any other IEM as they sound great with everything at least with what I listen to which is more modern music.

For you, I haven’t heard them yet, but the Empire Ears Legend X might be up your ally. If after research, the IER-Z1R is more of what you are looking for, you won’t be disappointed with it unless the fit is not good which is the big downside of the IER-Z1R is they are big (you could find after market custom tips if they don’t fit).

Another thing to keep in mind when commuting (depending on how you are commuting) is with open back, people can hear your music.

Edit: If this is unclear, let me know

Oh 10 is a clear upgrade, but sorry on being chifi, for USA I think the Polaris may be one to look at.

2 Likes

Campfire Atlas for the win…19 ohm impedance, made in the USA, loads’a bass but still a good all-rounder and the best bit…now with 400 bucks off :+1:

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/atlas/

2 Likes

Now I was looking at those two, what differences are there between them for being in different price brackets? I also would be interested in options from Final and EE that fit the bill, if any.

Ohmboy, have you tried Xelento’s? Inwonder how they compare to Atlas

1 Like

No sorry mate i’ve never had a chance to listen to them :slightly_frowning_face: but wold love to.
But I do remember the first time I heard the Atlas, a mate had bought a pair, it was the first CF I’d listened to, I had a old pair of Shure se530’s which were smooth with good mids and treble, the first time I put the Atlas’s on was a wtf/you kidding moment, I think I even laughed in a good way lol, once I got over the bass and settled down and listened for a while I realised the other frequencies were there ok especially the treble, but what I remember mostly was that BASS…an apples to oranges comparison with my Shure’s.

PS I think I still have the 530’s?..I’ll try and dig them out again :+1: