IEMs for classical

Had never heard of the NM2+ until now but I’m curious now. Just added it to my list of IEMs to consider for the future. But I’m currently listening to music thru my new BL-03. I have to ask how much different will those be to these?

1 Like

Never too late to start. One has to have a start some place. Buy a few new ones and just go for it and see if it takes off. Have fun with it.

2 Likes

I’m now listening to Bach on my Tin T2s. While obviously there are better IEMs, it’s amazing how good these are. Sounds great. There’s nothing that offends, either.

1 Like

Which piece from Bach are you listening to?

This album. On Tidal. It’s magnificent because of the calibre Is the musicians.

2 Likes

This is from that same album. Also happens to be one of the most gorgeous things Bach wrote. https://youtu.be/RqGDXXB3KGo

2 Likes

The NM2+ is honestly very different from the BL03. Technically it is much better, but tuning-wise, it comes down to preference. The BL03 has a sort of magical musical quality to it, that is intoxicating, but it is not really that technically accomplished. The NM2+ has the most expansive soundstage and most holographic imaging of any single-DD IEM that I’ve heard thus far (I haven’t yet heard the FD5 or Zen). It also has amazing clarity, and great resolution and detail retrieval for a single DD. It has a solid bass response, but nothing like the bassy BL03, which can sound a bit slow and muddy (but oh so fun!). The upper mids are pronounced, and may seem too intense for some people initially, but usually with time, and ear tip rolling, almost everyone seems to find a very enjoyable combination. The treble is quite well extended and natural sounding.

The NM2+ is MUCH better for classical music though, IMHO.

3 Likes

$169 for the NM2+. Hard to argue with that!

So, who can compare with the FD5 or the Zen?

The T2 is a “classic” IMO, that I hope sticks around. It has such a smooth, relaxing, well balanced, and musical sound to it. I think two budget IEMs, on somewhat opposite ends of the tuning spectrum, that every IEM enthusiast should own, is the BL03 and the Tin T2.

1 Like

There are a few head-fiers that own both of them. If wanting to get the NM2+, I would wait for a sale, and get it for less than $150. Some people have gotten great deals on it from AliExpress, during a sale, and with stacking coupons.

1 Like

I believe Z said the Tins were all one really needs, and I agree with that. Anything better is nice, and of course I want better and fortunately can afford better. But they are perfectly fine. Nothing like the shitty stuff that got me into this hobby to begin with because I knew I wasn’t hearing music correctly.

1 Like

Listening now. This is beautiful. Simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with me and everyone else here

1 Like

Of course, they really perk up with pop music. I just threw on the Rolling Stones “Midnight Rambler,” and honestly I no longer would guess that these were ‘only’ $50. The quality difference compared with my Fischer DBA-02 or my big Beyers fades.

1 Like

Correction: I can hear the difference between the Tins and my better gear with the Stones, it just matters less to me. Compare with this Bach, where I want to savor the timbre of the piano. And where recording quality is crucial:

Check out this dude, playing Beethoven on a period piano, which sounds remarkably different from a modern one. To be sipped like fine scotch. The Rollingstones is like a bottle of Jack.

Here’s another wonderful example of music that begs for good gear. First, the dude’s voice. OMG that opening note. The. The ensemble of people playing period baroque instruments, which have different timbres compared to their modern versions. They are located in space. And let’s not forget the acoustics of the space. Handel’s just amazing. I should do a whole thread on him

Check this out. Perfection. That chord at 3:15. Chef’s kiss.

Moondrop Illumination would be my suggestion. You have to go with a single DD for natural timbre. timbre is extremely important for classical music.

1 Like

Thanks. I just started watching/reading some reviews of it. Seems to nail the timbre, and I appreciate the comparison with the HD650 (although I sold my 650s after deciding the DT880/600 was more to my liking). There seems to be some qualms about the bass. I can’t tell if that applies to the music I favor, but it might, and I’d rather not pay that much money for IEMs that really only are good for one genre. It might be inevitable that I end up with specific IEMs for specific kinds of music, but I’d rather not go there. IEMs are my travel buddies, so I want one that I can grab and go with, not a box. I also note complaints about the chintzy metalic body, and the venting, which is good for sound but bleeds more than I’d want IEMs to bleed.

So, tradeoffs. But that’s what this hobby is about: tradeoffs, and finding the right set of tradeoffs for one’s particular tastes and needs.

I’ll keep reading.

Dont ignore them lol. The Sony XBA-N3 is my best hybrid. Z5 is also good but beaten by the N3 though.

The XBA-A2 is much cheaper and it shows, so I dont really rec that if you can get the N3 (yes, there is a price difference but the N3 is super worth it).

1 Like