IEMs that are considered upgrades to Fiio FH3

This is the farthest thing from the truth.

The thing about Spinfit tips is that the silicone is very thin. This allows the silicone to easily conform to your inner ear and give you that complete seal. They do this better than any tip I’ve used. They will give you everything your IEM is trying to give you if you use the right size for your ears and your IEM. The CP100 is a bit thinner material than the CP145 and why I rec it more. Both are very good though. The issue with Spinfits is because they seal so well, with some IEMs that aren’t vented enough, they can create suction on your inner ear with dynamic driver IEMs.

1 Like

Never experienced this, but it might be due to Spinfits often raising mids a touch more and making people feel like the bass is being displaced. I’ve found Spinfits to bring up the mids, but otherwise they don’t change the rest of the response.

Depends how insane of a sound upgrade you’re after. I really really really love my FD5, for music and gaming(especially). From my recollection of FH3(haven’t used them in a few weeks), FD5 has less irritating/sharp treble than FH3, but still can have a bright edge(only with aggressive music/content), with stock cable + bass tips + wide tube. You can EQ and change tips and cable, if you want, of course, but I absolutely love the stock detail these pump out. They are very spacious, open, with extremely well separated bass, vocals, treble, etc, unlike the closed-in sound of FH3. You can hear every instrument and voice, bass, totally clear & separate from each other. It’s just beautiful. These are pretty customizable, also, with 2 ‘sound tubes’ and 3 types of tips or so. Fit for me is better than FH3, but not my ideal(like Legacy 3).

Penon Fan could be an interesting upgrade, for only slightly higher price. Very detailed, clear and airy, with good bass balance. I would take Fan 100% of the time over the baseless, ultra-cheaply built Final A4000.

If you’re after something that sounds dead-neutral, very controlled, with lots of tuning customization, LZ A7 is that IEM. So far I prefer the more exciting, more detailed, more textured, more airy FD5, but my A7 has a lot of burn-in to do yet.

3 Likes

If you own the FH3, I do not see much value in the other Fiio hybrids. Your money would be better put to use going with something different such as a good single DD like the FD5. Another option I would suggest would be looking into a Thieaudio IEM. They sound great and would be a great compliment to the FH3. Maybe the Mangird Tea.

2 Likes

Agreed. The FD5 is a very fun/enjoyable IEM.

1 Like

I had my customized L4 in the checkout, again, the other day…but I just can’t do it :frowning: Reviews are so hot/cold with these. Ugh.

Nah, I wouldn’t. I have the L4 myself along with most of the Thieaudio IEMs. If you already have the FD5, really enjoy it and the fit doesn’t bother you, the FD5 will be tough to beat. I prefer it to the L4, but it is a $100.00 premium. The L4 is a tough IEM to beat at its price.

Yep, coming from the L3 already. They need to make a new 2-DD model to pull me in, I think… Or a new DD-only. Or, DD+e-stat. :thinking:

2 Likes

This is the perfect thread for me using the FH3 as a daily driver now but looking for an update up to 500$ (maybe 600 or 700 if it would be some kind of endgame for me).

I love the bass of the FH3 and the only issue I have with them that they are sometimes too mid-shouty for me (I listen often to extrem metal genres) and the soundstage could be bigger.

I had the H40 and Orb but I liked the tuning of the FH3 the most even H40 and Orb a great IEMs and i liked them very much.
And i also really liked the Sony N3 even more than the FH3 but fit and seal were horrible so I had to sell them. But yeah, these sounded great.

Bought the Penon Fan when they had the discount. Had some strange suction and fitting issues with the left IEM so I send them back to Penon to check them. But what I’ve heard was not bad at all. Also the blue stock tips weren’t complete…

So when I’m reading all of the different topics and posts I realize that there is no real competition to the bass of the FH3 in the <700$ category? Ok FD5 is definitely on my list as an upgrade to the FH3.

But nothing else with this great bass in quality and quantity? And I also love an energetic, fun and musical sound signature. I want to smile when I turn on the music and turn up the volume :slight_smile:

The FD5 isnt exactly a direct upgrade to the FH3. Its bass is cleaner because it is faster and tighter but that gives you a different presentation of bass.

1 Like

I feel that KB Believe is more a direct evolution/2.0/boost of FH3, while FD5 you could say is probably an extreme maturation of the FH3 DNA. But now with Believe you get too much bass pressure, and too much treble peak, although a much smoother and refined sound overall, and better fit, build, looks, cable.

I havent seen the Drop JVC HA-FDX1 mentioned here and I hear them as a noticeable step up from the FH3.

1 Like

They are probably not a direct upgrade to the FH3, but quality wise it probably is.

overall quality of the sound coming out of them is an upgrade to the fh3s to my ears

1 Like

Thats what I meant. but people here are most likely looking for an iem with the same signature as the FH3.

Otherwise there are a lot of other options.

Alright. Just presenting an option that I don’t see talked about nearly enough for how great it is.

Wait for FD4, amirite?

1 Like

Lol, maybe the FH4 in that case. Their “FD” lineup is their single DD series.

I mean, FZ4. :sunglasses:

This thread has been great, lots of suggestions I had no idea about! I just got some Amazon credit for returning a secret Santa gift from work. Decided to put that towards a 2.5 mm balanced cable from Fiio, the silver boi. It came yesterday and it’s subdued my upgrade itch, for now lol. It’s been a massive upgrade to the sound imo, I run my iems on a BTR5. Would recommend if you do the same!