IEMs that are considered upgrades to Fiio FH3

Going from 70mw to 250mw on that BTR5 is the reason for your SQ upgrade.

1 Like

Yeah really feel like the FH3s are performing like everyone described them now!

I have a bunch of them, I love them. Congrats! I’d like some with 2 pin connectors, unfortunately they don’t make them to my knowledge.

I haven’t been a believer in cables making a difference in sound until I just received a fairly popular cable to try out maybe two weeks ago. It sounded horrible. I’m not sure if it was defective since it did make sound. I tried the cable on a few different IEMs and got the same results. I couldn’t believe my ears. If I were to receive this cable with an IEM, I would immediately think the IEM was horrible, not thinking the issue was with the cable. This will probably be the next area I OCD about. Checking all my IEMs with different cables to see if I can hear differences.

1 Like

Yes! For example the 03 blons are no where near as good with the stock cable. Glad I did some research when I picked them up, got a replacement cable asap. I was a bit hesitant with the FH3s as I wanted to hear them stock first. But as @Rikudou_Goku mentioned the power output of the BTR5 on balanced is spicy and given that its my main driver for iems a balanced cable is a must. At this rate I’m going to need to include the price of a good balanced cable whenever I upgrade iems lol.

For me a FH3 upgrade is not only about the signature, it’s more about the bass. But I know what you mean.

Fort example I like the signature of the Sony N3 more than the signature of the FH3 (sometimes little bit too forward or mid-shouty).

On my list right now are the FD5, Believe, LZ A7, UM 3DT and Clairvoyance.

Now, there is a big difference between too mid-forward or mid-shouty. Do you dislike that the vocals are forward (a quantitative factor) on the FH3 or are they shouty (quality factor, negative)? Because to me, they are only forward and not shouty at all. IF you do think the FH3 vocals are shouty, then the FD5 is probably not a good idea.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, it‘s more the forwardness of the mids.

You‘re right, they‘re not shouty.

Then the FD5 can be good. As that one does not have forward vocals. (they are neutral to me, but for some it is recessed, probably thanks to the fletcher munson curve.)

Yeah I’m thinking about getting the 4.4mm Litz silber cable they have, mainly because it seems like there aren’t very many with that metal braid look with an L-shaped connector that are much cheaper than it.

After what others have said I threw on the spinfits in addition to the type E and some xelastics as well.

So as far as the original topic, some contenders we have for upgrades are:
-Penon Fan
-Fiio FD5
-Mangird Tea
-LZ A7
-TheiAudio Monarc
-Shuoer EJ07
-Z1R
-EE LX

I’m Kinda interested in the Mangird Tea and FD5 the most so far as my next jump. I didn’t see them mentioned but how are the Moondrop Blessing 2’s compared to what I’m looking for?

1 Like

Say no to Believe! :frowning: Yes to FD5(or maybe A7) :blush:

1 Like

The b2 is very very very different and not in a good way lol.

Very unnatural timbre, bass is definitely going to be lacking going from the fh3 to the b2. Mids and treble might be too bright as well.

Yeah, it’s a big no for those that like the fh3.

1 Like

saw this in the description on fiio’s A7 descritpion:
BA driver IEMs (FA7) vs hybrid IEMs (FH5)

They offer different types of sound, not that one type is better than the other. The FH5 is the warm, inviting gentleman that moves about with grace, while the FA7 is the bold younger brother with highly resolving nature and excellent transient response which provides an alternative exciting experience that complements the one found in the FH5.

How do you feel about that description?

Can’t comment. Only heard FH3 and FD5 so far. I have no desire to(since FD5 is so amazing), but if I could try 2 more FiiO’s, it would probably be FH7 and FA9. Other than the interesting and strange sounding KZ AS10, I can’t say I’ve heard an all-BA that I’ve significantly liked yet. And here I am with the $349 BGVP DM8. :upside_down_face:

By “A7”, I mean LZ A7. Maybe confused lol?

I only run balanced.

Ha ha. Good luck there. The FH3 bass is incredible. Not its volume but it’s quality.

1 Like

Great choices. I have my Mangird Tea right next to me. It would be a very good compliment to the FH3. It’s a very different tuning (sub bass focused) BGGAR’s ideal tuning. He rates it very high on his ranking list. I love mine.

1 Like

Don’t bother. I prefer the FH3 to the FH7. The FA9 is a dud no one enjoys. All BA.

1 Like

Ok ok, the upgrade should have at least the same (quantity and) quality of the bass. Better? :smiley:

But lucky me, if there isn’t a real contender to FH3s bass in the sub 700$ section, my wallet is happy.

What about the Stax IEMs…?

wait…
That is actually a thing?
350 usd + energizer
…interesting