IEMs that are considered upgrades to Fiio FH3

The best way in the beginning is to get a pack where you get all sizes. So you can learn what size fits you the best.

Although there are some tips where they are 1 size bigger than normal, like the Azla tips.

And add to that some IEM’s needer a deeper fit which generally means a small tip so that’s why it’s so important like @Rikudou_Goku said if you’re IEM serious you’ll need a fair few makes and sizes of tips to find what works for each set for both fit and sound.

2 Likes

Even this only sort of works, because it’s about more than just a seal for any IEM.
In most cases You ideally want a tip that will seal with the deepest insertion you can get.
The insertion depth changes the perceived frequency response, generally deeper insertion will tame treble.
So while a large might seal, a medium might be better if you can get it to seal as well.
So manufacturers and shapes matter.
Foam tips are just often easier to get the combination of insertion depth and seal.

Fortunately for you I guess. Is that I have recently found some cheap but very good tips. (I am trying out the last tips I recently got, will post my impressions on them over at my thread soon.)

Deeper insertion causes the coupler resonance peak (8k) to shift closer to 9k, shallow fit is closer to 7k.

Any good sites that are not AliExpress that you can recommend? If I am going to import a bunch of them, I’d rather they all ship together instead of having 5 packages from 5 different places in 5 way too big cardboard boxes :stuck_out_tongue:.

My tips arent from aliexpress actually. They are from amazon japan.

This site seems to have a lot of tips as well, but I havent used them. Shop For In-Ear Monitor IEM Earphone Silicon Ear Tips at MTMTaudio

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC cost like $1k each to get into the UK…AZLA must be involved with a Columbian drug cartel or something if you ask me lol.

3 Likes

I think I’ve settled on the Thieaudio Monarch as what I’ll get next, seems like its exactly what I like about the FH3 but better(I’m mostly into EDM so I want good subbass). The Manigrid Teas also look good but I’m not sure if its enough of a jump to justify it.

Don’t know how much they are supposed to be, but Linsoul has them for $19. Or is shipping to UK very expensive?

Need to add VAT and shipping as Amazon UK (Linsoul UK) don’t stock them so :cry:

Ah okay, that sucks, in the Netherlands you don’t pay VAT under $25 I believe. Which means that if you want two sets, you order them twice since otherwise you’d need to pay 21% VAT :upside_down_face:

I don’t really need them as I’m happy with the tips I use it was just out of curiosity tbh…I’ll get some soon promise :+1:

1 Like

Hey Resolution, i saw in another thread you have the Monarchs, hows that one compare to the FH3?

This is only my opinion…

The Monarch is in a completely different category. I still have to give overall bass quality (speed/texture) to the FH3, but the Monarch stomps all over the FH3 everywhere else. Out of all of my IEMs, the Monarch is my personal favorite. I love it.

For only 130 bucks, the FH3 is very impressive. For my money, it’s the best IEM till you get into the 250-300 dollar range. For bass technicalities, it’s one the best hybrids, period.

Damn and here i thought I found something definitive for upgrading haha. Definitely interested in better sound overall but I really want to retain(ideally improve but im wondering how much better can it get than on the FH3). Maybe I just lucked out with the perfect IEM haha

Ugh I was hoping the Monarch would beat the FH3 out in the bass… I might just not have to spend any more money at all and it just baffles me.

(talking quantity, not quality) The Monarch sub bass is monstrous while retaining detail and clarity across the FR. The Monarch’s bass is quite impressive and at moments, possibly too much. It just doesn’t have the speed and texture of the FH3 bass, which might be perfect for certain genres that do not require it. The FH3’s bass is not as elevated and as sub bass focused as the Monarch.

The FH3 mids and treble are made up from BAs. If you’re fine with what you’re hearing from them, and they don’t present your music in an unnatural way, the FH3 could be your endgame.

The Monarch mids and treble are made up from electrostatic drivers and sound considerably different. The electrostatic drivers allow elevated frequency response to be detailed, clear and smooth that if were made up from BA’s might sound harsh or sibilant.

After listening to the Monarch and Clairvoyance, the FH3’s mids and treble sound almost unnaturally detailed/harsh. They sound crunchy to me in comparison. Again, not better or worse, but different.

If you’re looking for absolute endgame bass, you might want to look at the IER-Z1R.

2 Likes

@Resolution how do you compare FH3 and FH5?