IEMs that are considered upgrades to Fiio FH3

It’s been quite a while since I listened to the FH5, but if memory serves…

The FH7 and FH3 sound similar with their beryllium DDs and BAs. I feel the FH3 is the premier bass performer and the FH7 is more treble focused. The FH5 sounds the most different from the other hybrids.

I feel Crin did a great job of describing the FH5.

“Neutral with bass boost - Stellar bass response and decent technical ability, not much to fault.”

FH5 does not have the beryllium DD the FH3 & 7 have, so it doesn’t have the bass technical performance but it’s not bad. Like I said earlier, many genres of music probably won’t even benefit much from that level of performance. The FH5 is a nice sounding, inoffensive listen. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded similar to studio monitors.

From what I’ve seen/heard, the FH5 has been a popular IEM with a following that love it.

2 Likes

Hello

I am thinking about to change the standard cable
on my fiio fh3 with the fiio LC-RE

I ask myself if there is really a benfit

Did you ever run the cable with your fh3

BR

Alex

1 Like

To be honest if you’re spending that money you might as well buy the FiiO FD5, that way you get a nice cable and a very good IEM to change things up. I bought the FAAEAL Litz for my FH3. There is a topic dedicated to cables which has some good recommendations and @Rikudou_Goku has a Google drive linked in his thread (first post) where he has a nice ranking for cables.

2 Likes

Hello Martijn,

thanks for your feedback. Sounds good and makes sense.
I am very happy with my FH3 but the FD5 are very interesting.

I think I will go with a new pair of Fiios

1 Like

Have the FD5 and love them, curious how soundstage on the tea compares to the FD5.

I ordered both FH3 and FD5 and returned the FH3 cause everything it does the FD5 outperforms it, can’t recommend them enough. Rolling spinfit cp 100 tips and felt an increase in bass and soundstage.

2 Likes

Hi. This is my first comment in HifiGuides. Just signed up 10 minutes ago. I am using FH3 + Q3 + phone now. I’ve read all comments above, thought FD5 is good upgrade yet few concerns. FD5 has recessed vocal/mid than FH3. FH3 has better imaging and more detailed mid (but less natural).
Currently FH3 i need to EQ and MESB (Hiby Music app), to make it sound the best to my ears. Basically from default FH3, I need a little bit more bass thump and extension, more forward vocal, a bit more airer and crispier high vocal. Detailed vocal is a must, I like the tiny vibration of vocal. If possible, wider soundstage. Price erm… maybe 1.5-2X times of FH3. Other brand also can. Any suggestion?
For MESB setting, I set a lot less for bass extension and texture (make bass lighter and faster, because Q3 bass mode gives too much bass, creating unpleasant vocal resonance). Then I set vocal more detailed/ crisp, to counter the bass mode. Unfortunately vocal become more recessed. Also set air more crisp a bit.
For EQ setting, so I up a bit on 1-2kHz to make vocal/ mid more forward. That’s it.
Thieaudio Monarch is out of budget. Maybe I should try buy secondhand 4.4 balanced cable first (FiiO LC-4.4C) .Currently stock cable is LC-3.5B. Just worry sound difference is too little.
I also got Tin Hifi T5 as a free giveaway. FH3 is definitely better, no competition.

I think Tri Starsea and KZ AST are both better than FH3, depending on taste. Starsea for a very studio type sound, AST for monsterous bass and fantastic space, separation, speed, smoothness. I could also see OH10 being better, but by a smaller margin.

Starsea treble is just SLIGHTLY hot, otherwise no problems. AST bass is definitely overkill, but isn’t as fatiguing as hot treble. FH3 has very good mids & bass(still the most realistic here, I think), but too edgy/aggressive treble, and the fit is the worst of the 3 for me(none are bad). I’m super happy & impressed with AST. Starsea has great resolution & transparency, but has an underwhelming sense of space compared to AST. Right now, AST is my #1, and Starsea #2. I got rid of my FD5 because of the treble sharpness, even with copper cable + fomes.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried dk3001 pro yet?

U should try tips Spinfit CP100 for Sony N3. Because its long straight nozzle , SF can tilt a bit inside ear canal, hence good fit and seal. At first I listened to N3, the sound is really bad due to wrong tips.

guys… it’s 2023! still loving my FH3, but are there any current IEMs that u consider upgrades???

1 Like

Honestly, the under $100 market has improved quite a bit since this thread was active. I had and enjoyed the FHE for a bit, but I would choose the hkzxhbb over it any day. Other sets like Tangzu Wu zeitan, kiwi ears cadenza, or 7hz Legato would be comparable upgrades. I’ve been out of the loop the last six months, I bet there’s some even better options now. I haven’t picked up a set in a while, but the kiwi ears quintet looks interesting.

yep, the Legato was also on my list, but I’ve heard that the sub-bass tends to be too muddy. Lots of quantity and rumble, yes, but if it lacks the speed, quality and texture that the FH3 has then it’s a no for me. Tangzu is planar, so might be too airy and lack of body? But again i haven’t personally listened to any of them yet, so would be nice to hear other opinions.
Regarding the HBB HKZ, in what way are they superior to the FH3?

The legato and the fh3 bass are almost polar opposites.

1 Like

Wu Zetian is not lacking any body at all :sunglasses:
Maybe the Heyday edition but not the OG.
The OG is very musical and not too airy. The bass is perfect if you like FH3
I am selling WU OG in like new condition in case you are interested (you are from germany right?)

I would take @Rikudou_Goku’s word on the Legato. I don’t have half the expertise and experience that a lot of folks have on here. I have never heard the original fh3, just the crinacle FHE. The qkz xHBB is tuned similarly to the FHE. For rock, which is a lot of my library, the qkz just feels a little more cohesive. I think it’s even under $20 now. Some of my synthesizer heavy electronic and ambient stuff is handled better by the FHE. It probably pulls a little more treble detail too. I’m not sure of that though.

I think u should take a look at the Ikko OH10, that is probably the closest to the FH3 that I consider better ( it is my outdoor usage set with the TRN BT20XS adapters).

Specifically, the modded one here.

3 Likes

i have both the FH3 and Legato, Legato needs power to tighten up the bass, FH3 can be driven off a phone imho.

just received my pair of QKZ x HBB. holy crap. now i get what you mean with “more cohesive”. has everything the FH3 has, but without the flaws. everything blends well together. thanks for the rec mate!!! much appreciated

3 Likes

Hello all. I have the FH3 paired with the BTR7. My source is a phone, Sony Xperia 5 II with LDAC. I like the stong bass and sub bass of the FH3. I am thinking about my second iem…The contender would be the FD5. Again, I would like a V shaped sound with a stong bass and sub bass. It is a good contender at around 300 euros? Couse that is my budget for it. Thnx!

I do not think the FD5 is competitive in the market anymore at the price it is at. But maybe this could be.

1 Like