šŸ”· iFi Hip-DAC

I would probably want to buy another portable cable anyway because the desktop cable I purchased is terminated in a 1/4in and itā€™s like 7ft long. And I donā€™t really want to resort to using the original Audioquest cable. So you feel the balanced out on the Hip Dac outperforms the XD-05?

IMO sound quality yes, power it gets close. Also the bass boost is better on the ifi than the xduoo. Also more portable if that matters to you. You should be able to get like a decently sized 4.4mm bal to 2.5mm jack cable fairly easy

2 Likes

Mine came in yesterday, several days ahead of initial estimates. Unfortunately, I also came down with a headcold and donā€™t trust my ears too much at the moment. Initial thoughts on itā€™s build though are positive. Itā€™s a well designed and well made unit, at least physically. I can tell itā€™s got more than enough power for the 4XX, but again, donā€™t trust my ears right now. Iā€™ll get back to you guys on the sound after my head clears.

4 Likes

Feel better.

Looking forward to your impressions. :+1:t4:

My head is clearing and Iā€™ve been listening to the Hip-Dac some via 3.5mm unbalanced. I donā€™t have any balanced cables yet with a 4.4mm pentacon, which leads me to a questionā€¦

Is there any potential issue in getting an adapter that goes 4.4 pentacon to any other type of 4 conductor balanced connection? Any harm done by going from 4.4 pentacon to 4-pin XLR or female trrs? I have some of the latter balanced cables so getting an adapter would be the quickest and simplest solution to checking out the Hip-Dacā€™s balanced output. Thanks!

1 Like

Nope, if you are staying balanced no issues should occur

1 Like

:+1:

Thanks, @M0N. Ordering!

1 Like

How does this compare to the Nano iDSD BL?

Personally, if you had balanced capable headphones/iems, I would take the hip over the nano, but if you have single ended I might say the nano would be a better pick. Both are great and I donā€™t think you could go wrong with either imo

1 Like

Yep the 3.5mm balanced out on the Nano is a ball ache when it comes to cable options :grimacing:

Well you can just get an adapter and it works, but finding a natively terminated 3.5mm balanced is more difficult

Really I found near impossible to find any male 3.5mm to female 2.5mm/4.4mm balanced adaptors except the Mee Audio cable set ?

This one has worked well for me

This one also
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK4BRLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A0PvEb3837311

1 Like

Glad I ordered that before @M0Nā€™s recommendation. Now it will surely sell out ;p

It was already popular anyways lol, I donā€™t have much influence

Yes you do.

I think we should get a little piece of RNHP sales! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hart Audio also has a 3.5 balanced interconnect. Iā€™m in the process of migrating entirely to that system.

1 Like

Aside from iFi are there a lot of brands going 3.5 balanced?

Not really no, but a lot of brands are shifting to 4.4mm bal

The Rupert Neve Fidelice has a 4.4 balanced as well