šŸ”· iFi xDSD Gryphon

I have been using the qudelix for the past 2 days and it has amazing features! but when Im at my desktop I love my hipdac2 damnā€¦I really want to gryphon but Im gonna settle for the ifi xCan for nowā€¦might as well call me Neo Im in too deep in this shit!

2 Likes

Canā€™t go wrong with the xCAN. Itā€™s very capable for the price.

2 Likes

pulling the trigger

1 Like

Do you have more information about this adapter?

Is this really compatible with all devices? Is it by design a standard feature of the 4.4mm pentaconn to give out a single ended connection?

That means this adapter uses only the L+(T) , R+(2nd R) and Ground (S) contact on the 4.4mm side (TRRRS)?

Left Channel: L+, ground
Right Channel: R+, ground

I got it

Question though I also bought the 2.5mm Iematch adapter which is coming Saturday with that pair well with the X can Iā€™m not sure if I bought it for the right reason because I brought it to get rid of the hiss sound When Iā€™m connected via Bluetooth balance 2.5 mm I mean it made sense but now Iā€™m thinking I may have bought it for the wrong reasons itā€™s for a dap??? So Iā€™m a little confused if you can help explain to me

2 Likes

The IEMatch will also help with noise / hiss on the xCan. With what IEM / headphone you hear a hiss?
You hear it only when nothing is playing or all the time?

Maybe change to the 3.5mm? For IEMā€™s you wonā€™t need the power of the balanced output.

Congratulations!

IEMatch is for very sensitive IEMs, or cases with headphones when you need more fine-tuned volume control if you listen at very low levels).

I would suggest trying it without IEMatch first, and if you donā€™t need it now, great - youā€™ll have it on hand when you do.

IEMatch can be used in any context. It doesnā€™t have to be just for DAP.

Donā€™t forget about me. :sweat_smile:

ifi recommends that we use the balanced connection to get the full potential use out of the xcan and I read that the potential for the hiss noise is four times than single ended 3.5mm I just bought it as a pre-cautionā€¦If I cant afford the Gryphon Im gonna make sure the xcan has everything it needs to perform to is optimal ability.

So You donā€™t know yet if you have a hiss problem? Find the IEMatch a little pricey to just buy it on suspicion.
Balanced uses four amp chips while SE uses two. Resulting in a higher noise floor but better channel separation. Donā€™t see much ā€œfull potentialā€ in using the 2.5mm for more power (that I might donā€™t need) and better separation (really audible?) if the background noise is killing it for me.
Nonetheless, let us know how you end up using the xCan.

2 Likes

I got a deal on them for $25 shippedā€¦and it if it had a case i would buy it too

Bought this qedulix 5K as well but after testing I found it sound better as a wired dac amp dongle instead of Bluetooth functionā€¦.

2 Likes

You hear a noticeably difference between Bluetooth and USB ? Which codec?
I see you already have the xCan. Wonder if You hear an improvement when you feed it via line in, maybe from the Qudelix.

You bought the Qudelix for 100+, the xCan for 200+ and you have a hipdac. If you would have sold the hipdac and not buy the xCan and 5K I guess you would have been at the point where you could have bought a open box / used gryphon.

1 Like

I have an addictive personalityā€¦it can work for me or against meā€¦ I used to be a sneakerhead before the pandemicā€¦honestly I will eventually get the gryphon as well knowing meā€¦since now I got all the iems I wantedā€¦eventually save up enoughā€¦but the xcan I can use in a stack setup which I will have to learn aboutā€¦I honesty started off with just the red dragonfly usb dongle and I was looking for a studio monitor to listen as I record my guitar and mixing then google search I came upon a term audiophileā€¦and down the rabbit hole I am travelingā€¦but honestly $600 is mad expensiveā€¦

2 Likes

also I would not sell the hipdac2 its my favorite out of allā€¦and I apreciate all the dac amp dongles I purchased they all have something that sticks out to meā€¦and YES!! i want to stack the xCan and the Qudelix together imagine all the tuning options will have along with the power off the Xcanā€¦mad scientist! I just need to learn how to do it.

2 Likes

The gryphon has almost busted my eardrums 2 times now. The first time I was using it as a preamp on my xduoo 604 and for some reason it decided to jump from -28 to +6 volume level. The second time I was using Bluetooth connected to my iPhone. I was on the couch listening, got up and went to my computer room, with nothing playing, left my phone on the couch and while I was in there I got a ebay notification on my phone at +6 volume. Had iems in a the time. Ears rang for about 15 minutes. Am I doing something wrong with the settings? Now Iā€™m always worried that this will happen again when Iā€™m using it.

1 Like

Newest firmware installed? Where you can disable the volume sync in the menu?

See post above

1 Like

Just checked and I donā€™t think so. Is all I need to do is download the latest firmware version and Iā€™ll have all the previous updates?

Yes. Download the firmware file ( you need the serial number of the gryphon for that) and the pc tool. Connect the gryphon and I think you need to put it in some mode (DFU) with a button combo if I remember correctly. Think instructions are attached in the download.

I just updated. I donā€™t really use windows I use Mac but it was super easy! Thank you so much for the help! You may have just saved my hearing because I really love the gryphon and wasnā€™t gonna stop using it lol

3 Likes