đŸ”· iFi xDSD Gryphon

Yes, we fixed that issue early on thanks to the very swift feedback from the community. We believe all of the issues are fixed now, but please keep us posted on your time with the Gryphon and your thoughts in general on the new firmware!

3 Likes
  1. In how far iFi can say that this will work with (almost) every amp? Then it has to be somewhere in specification for a 4.4mm jack.

2. Maybe some more technical information perhaps even a graphic like the one from the xCan that explains the S-balanced connection.

I Remember I already asked about how this adapter could work in another thread. MazeFrame who “stares at PCB for fun” (= knows infinite more about electronics than me) said it is unlikely that this adapter will work outside ifi products.

1 Like

That implementation of “balanced” there is what the rest of the world calls “bridged”.
It is where two amplifiers work in push-pull into each other doubling the voltage across the load.

Source

Example from the LM380 datasheet:

2 Likes

Hi! How this dac/amp will work with audeze lcd-2c? Enough power? It open full potential these headphones? Thanks. Sorry for my english.

Hey, Welcome to the community.

It won’t drive it to full potential, that’s micro iDSD territory IMO. I don’t own 2C but have tried Sundara with Gryphon & Signature, Signature powered it better.

1 Like

At the moment I am using topping d30 + ifi zen can amp. I would like something more portable and less cumbersome, better sounding) Unfortunately, in my country, micro idsd was not on sale (there is Diablo besides gryphon, but it costs 1k euros 

If bluetooth is not important to you, TRI TK2 looks like a good product, more powerful too.

The Gryphon will drive it and it will sound pretty similar to the zen can. It won’t be the best setup but for portable and close to the sound you have already, it’ll do fine.

I was find ifi micro idsd signature for 750 euros. It sound really better compare my setup?

I really don’t think you’ll hear a huge difference. You might find it a little resolution but it’s going to be very minor when using the LCD.

I didn’t find the Tri TK2 to play well with planars. I haven’t tried the 2c but with Hifimans it wasn’t the best, it has a very high OI.

I posted a review of it in the Acho Reviews thread

If TK2 isn’t good and Signature is out of your budget, then all that’s left are Gryphon & XD-05 BAL.

Functionality/Usability: Is better on Gryphon for me, with a body that stacks better with my phone and has better layout for controls. Bluetooth range is also better on Gryphon. BAL has a dedicated power switch for desktop use that’s great if you are looking for an AIO unit for desktop & portable use.

Sound: I used V5i Opamp with XD-05 BAL and even with stock Opamp, both are pretty good. With some Headphones/IEM’s I liked the BAL and with others I liked Gryphon. Gryphon has it’s analogue DSP (xBass, xSpace) while BAL has Opamp swapping to tune the overall sound to one’s preference.

At the end of the day I guess both are good sound quality wise, don’t worry too much about the sound between the two and get whichever ticks all your boxes.

What about the xCan?

Great deal at the moment.

Wouldn’t get the xd-05 BAL. Seems like they lied big about the power output. The 1W from the spec is at 10% distortion and not per channel but combined. Clean power is just about 300mW.

pictures & source

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/xduoo-xd-05-bal-dac-amp/

Then probably better the poke 2 with its 700mW instead of the 05 BAL. The poke also offers some EQ functions, 05 does not.

Measurements of xDuoo Poke2 DAC/HPAmp - L7Audiolab

1 Like

I thought they sold the last batch of xCAN. Anyway, xCAN was a good product but has a weak DAC section and that mirror finish got dirty way too quickly and required a cleaning cloth frequently. Some time back, a case could have been made about using the xCAN with a good DAP (Line-Out) but then why not get the Topping DX7.

Was not aware of the power issue with XD-05 BAL, to my ears both (Gryphon, BAL) the devices sounded good. I tried Sundara and Edition XS on both (Boost On in BAL) and there wasn’t a big enough difference to matter. In direct comparision, I noticed Sundara paired better with BAL and XS with Gryphon but again difference isn’t big.

thanks to everyone who responded! I ordered Gryphon, I hope it will not disappoint with lcd-2c

1 Like

Imagine an iFi DAP with the guts and features of the Gryphon

Well
 The ibasso Dx160 delivers 1W too and has a PEQ which can be used to copy the xBass function and presence.

4 Likes

Let us know how it works.

I have the LCD2Classic, but I have not used them for almost a year because of house moving and I don’t have a place to put the Asgard 3
 At some point I was thinking about the Gryphon, but it is quite an investment, so I have doubts

lcd2c work very well. The power of gryphon is enough for them - a maximum of 85% volume control. I have the best setup with Xbass. Plays exactly as well as topping d30 + ifi zen can, if not better. I don’t know, everyone doesn’t leave me thinking how it would all play with idsd signature)

1 Like

iFi Audio has released New Bluetooth firmware for the xDSD Gryphon. Download Hub | Software and firmware for your iFi audio devices (ifi-audio.com)