🔷 iFi xDSD Gryphon

Would be interested in a comparison with the xCan (Only connected via Bluetooth) and if the xBass is different (Seems to vary on every iFi device). Surprised that the Gryphon doesn’t provide more power than the xCan. Was hoping for 2W maybe.

1 Like

A comparison with the iFi Go Blu and Ifi Zen Dac would also be very nice :slight_smile:

Very eager to hear an xCan vs Gryphon comparison, especially considering the price difference for the same power output.

2 Likes

Hm!

To be honest, I am very curious about the ratings of the “professionals” in the various forums.

Personally, I have my own opinion on the Gryphon.

Depending on which headphones the respective tester will use the Gryphon with, the test can turn out very differently.

With planar magnets it is, in my opinion, overwhelmed, even the Ananda plays with the gryphon at best average.
This is iDSD Territory!

With Focal headphones, their weakness, when it comes to voices that actually sound unnatural across all models, is even more emphasized.

—————————————————————————

But now for the positive! :raised_hands:

Should you be a fan / owner of manufacturers of for example:

Koss, Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Denon or iBasso, i.e. own dynamic powered headphones, Jesus, that can be mobile endgame !!

I just have the Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ohm running. The volume is at maximum, the turbo level is displayed, but it sounds damn creamy.

The much scolded Beyer peak has “disappeared” completely in all models.

For my Grado’s, this amplifier is definitely endgame, whether stationary or mobile, I have never heard these headphones in such detail, smooth, powerful and multi-layered as with this Griphon :100: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This ability of the fine, multi-layered resolutions of the music, the extreme ability to reproduce details and spatial representations is a real hammer for an amp box of this size.

My recommendation is to pair rather bright and high-resolution headphones, to set the rear switch to Bass + Presence, to use the xBass + & xSpace. The sound gain with the headphones mentioned is extraordinary.

Finally, my personal mobil highlight.

The Gryphon paired with the Sennheiser HD800s, my problem immediately afterwards:

Everything else sounds boring :yawning_face: :wink: (Not really, but almost)

11 Likes

The ability of the fine, multi-layered resolutions of the music, the extreme ability to reproduce details and spatial representations is more advanced than that of the xCan.

1 Like

Damn this is disappointing to here as a focal and planar user… I’m surprised this was the case since I liked the xCAN with both so much. But thanks for saving my wallet from this one! Maybe I’ll test it one day, but I’ll stick to my idsd for now.

2 Likes

Also surprised about the part with the Ananda. Had the Ananda running on my xCan and liked it. Especially with xBass it had a subwoofer feeling sometimes (run the jewelz - oh Mama) without destroying the mids.
Have the Edition XS incoming which is not so easy to drive as the Ananda. Now I am worried they will sound bad on the xCan (even if its only FOMO)

2 Likes

Are you interested in more of a sound comparison or a technical comparison between the Go Blu and Gryphon?

More of a sound comparison, today I am running a BTR5 but I want to upgrade to something more powerful (Today I only use IEMs but I plan to have open back dynamic headphones in the near future).

How does it fair with IEM’s? I have the GL-20’s and currently my bluetooth options a Toppings BC3 strapped to a GAD tube amp! Works great and all - but this just looks so nice and would love to try xBass on the GL20’s.

Surely logic dictates that if you like the xCan with planers then the Gryphon will be at least the same or better?

Not only the xBass would be useful for the Gl20, the “presence” boost (1 of 3 modes of the xBass) would also help with the recessed upper mids all these open back planar IEMs have.

1 Like

Thank you for all the great information.
Have you had the chance to try it with IEMs?

Maybe a stupid question… and I know it maybe hard to compare but hear me out.
How would xDuoo XD-05 BAL fair against the Gryph?

@C4PPY The XD-05 BAL has a transparent & slightly analytical sound signature with wide soundstage and good details. iFi says the Gryphon is more like the Diablo so I’m guessing it’s not as warm as iDSD Signature, Zen DAC, so neutral & some what smooth with decent detail and soundstage.

The Gryphon has more features and IMO better controls but the BAL can be tuned for personal preference (Opamp swap). Bluetooth is better on the Gryphon but not as good as Qudelix 5k, BTR5…etc.

Sound wise, both are good but because of the tuning and synergy with other gear your milage may vary.

1 Like

iFi’s bluetooth implementation I thought would be better then both Qudelix and the FiiO?

The Qudelix is the best BT implementation I have heard. Nothing has beaten it. Some have been absolutely terrible. Can’t speak to the gryphon yet.

The problem is even amps with black background for IEMs have hurricanes of noise over BT. Q5s-tc is a great example of that. Even the first btr5 had that issue. Haven’t tried the new one.

2 Likes

It’s implemented well but range is not as good as other bluetooth recievers.

xDuoo 05BL Pro & Topping BC3 also have good sound quality but the 05BL Pro similar to the BAL has poor range and can stutter even if the phone is in one pocket and the reciever in another.

1 Like

Can agree on the BC3 that is what I currently use for adding Bluetooth to my current portable amp.
For IEM I really have hard time choosing what would be an upgrade or just a sidegrade with other functions.

What’s your current setup for IEM’s?