šŸ”· iFi ZEN CAN Headphone Amplifier

Just bought this with the iPower 5V power supply and so far very impressed. I can confirm the XBass function is indeed like butter heroin and the power on offer is crazy.

Iā€™ve also tried some really sensitive IEMā€™s on this and canā€™t hear any noise floor so very happy, of course have to reduce input volume into the AMP otherwise the IEMā€™s would literally explode from the power output ^^.

Also a perfect match for the notoriously power hungry Tin P1.

1 Like

I donā€™t think 1 Watt is a perfect match. I have Hiby R5 and it sounds decent, but I have been considering the A50s or something like it to get more from the P1. Although I do envy you that bass boost button :slight_smile:

P1ā€™s certainly does benefit from the Xbass, balanced 0db gain itā€™'s blowing my ears out ^^. I couldnā€™t handle any more power.

I can max out the comfortable listening level of the P1ā€™s on a Fiio M9 (220mW) but they donā€™t sound as open as the Hiby R5 which is why I suspect a move to a beefier amp would affect the sound not just the loudness. Could be wrong though, itā€™s just all the reviewers beat that message/drum to death!

This made my day ahah Iā€™m a similar user to you Roknar, Iā€™ve got my first more serious setup recently (Hd6xx + L30+E30), but after the L30 fiasco, I returned the stack and got a zen dac + zen can stack, to pair with the HD 6xx. Reading this review doesnā€™t make me happier about my choice (I understand that this amp could distort the lower end a bit with the 300ohm of the 6xx) but then you say Itā€™s doing ok with your 600ohms dt880, I guess Iā€™ll evaluate the stack as soon as I get it in my hands :smiley:

On the pentaconn connection, Iā€™m sitting at gain setting of 3 at around 9 oā€™clock and 11-12 is where it starts getting painfully loud to me. I hear no distortion. To hear distortion I have to switch to RCA and dial up the bass on the tube preamp, so that is with the variable setting, meaning the DAC is doing some pre-amping as well as the tube preamp, and then I have to go to 12 on the Bass dial for that to happen (usually I have that at the minimum).

At those settings, the headphones are physically rumbling, though understandably the sound is rather dark, but if I want all the bass, there is that option. So yea, I donā€™t have anything to compare too, and I could see that maybe with more power, I could get the added bass without darkening the sound. But itā€™s definitely fine without the preamp lol. I see there is more headroom o upgrade in the future, but I donā€™t regret my purchase at all. Also, truebass is some kind of black magic that adds bass without making things sound dark.

2 Likes

That is very nice to hear. I am now 100% sure this stack will do it for me for a long time :smiley: I love having options and knowing that the truebass is really viable is nice. Also, about the distortion, I doubt Iā€™ll hear any of it, and even than, Iā€™d just adjust my volume and settings accordingly. Thank you for your input :smiley: I strongly appreciate it.

I wonder if iFi is gonna come out with a Zen that is only a DAC, to pair with the CAN. itā€™s seems kinda odd to pair their combo unit with the amp.

This is what Iā€™m waiting for. I wish the Zen Blue had USB input, that would be the perfect combo.

Ya Iā€™m convinced a version of the signature Drop Dac will be available eventually.

For my system I would love SPDIF in on a standalone Zen Dac. But Iā€™m guessing that might be too much to ask

Iā€™m waiting for some new headphones to arrive to really test out the Zen Can, but I tried some 16ohm headphones to see how it worked last night, and there is a slight buzz/noise when the music is quiet. I would call this surface noise if it was vinyl, but it happens with digital as well. It gets louder as I mess with the volume. Happens with different sources (however they are through the same switch/wire to the Zen Can).

Is this likely just because of too much power for the cheap low impedance headphones? Or is this an interference issue Iā€™ll need to troubleshoot?

I have no experience with this kind of issueā€¦but from what Iā€™ve read, itā€™s usually caused by a short / ground loop with the cables or other piece of equipment.

Thanks, ya the more I google the more this sounds like a ground loop issue.

1 Like

yes itā€™s ground loop issue. Put 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to 3.5 input on Zen Can, and put other end of this cable to any output on PC motherboard then hiss will go away. I have same amp

Hmm. Right now Iā€™m using the 4.4 pentaconn in (from a Zen Phono), and the 3.5mm in (from a 3.5mm out on a JDS Labs OL Switcher)

So my RCA ports are not used. Iā€™m also nowhere near a computerā€¦

Would using a 3.5 Aux -> RCA cord instead of the 3.5 -> 3.5 cord do anything?

Any way to tie the Ground of the CAN to your source should help.

Canā€™t figure it outā€¦ definitely a ground loop issue, but my system is one big ridiculous loop with multiple inputs and outputs, so I canā€™t seem to isolate it, or figure out what is causing it.

I donā€™t wanna takeover this thread, but if anyone has any good resources to fix this or advice please message me.

I have the Zen Can and Dac for around three months now (With the DT880) and I didnā€™t notice any sloppy bass until I brought a second hand hd600, the bass is a lot tighter on the 600 imo.
That being said knowing that my DT880 can be much better is great news, any amp that I can get to replace my Zen Can? or should I balance mod it instead?

balance mod!

So I think my amp is broken. However I found this thread where someone is describing the exact same issue that Iā€™m having, so I wonder if maybe they all have this issue? Or one bad batch?

(https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ifi-zen-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.9885/page-13)

The issue:

1. ground loop hum no matter what I do. Even if I disconnect everything else from the system and itā€™s just the source and amp. No issue when using the same components to a speaker. Tried all 3 inputs with phono, and RCA/Aux with digital. Hum in every combination.

2. when the source is coming in through the 4.4 pentaconn (which is input 3), if I select inputs 1 or 2 and increase the gain, I can hear the music (with no source tied to the empty ports). Clearly an issue hereā€¦

Iā€™m even using their fancy ipower that came with it as a release version.

Going to contact IFI and the retailer and see what they say