šŸ”· iFi ZEN CAN Headphone Amplifier

I think Iā€™ve fixed the ground loop/interference issue (put a DI box in line, a better surge protector, using the RCA instead of 3.5mm aux, and reorganized my mess of cabes). Itā€™s 90% better.

That said, when using 32ohm headphones, if the gain is set to +6db at 12 olock, or +12db past 10oclock, I get quite a bit of ā€œsurfaceā€ noise still. Fortunately I donā€™t listen that high, and once the music starts itā€™s impossible to perceive any noise. So Itā€™s good enough for me.

Itā€™s still really weird that when a 4.4mm pentaconn is being used, you can hear it through the other inputs (when theyā€™re cranked), but again, Iā€™ll never come close to listening that loud.

I really need to get my hands on some 250 or 300ohm heaphones to see how they work, it kind of just feels like itā€™s too powerful for my 32ohm headphones. Maybe using the balanced headphone out instead of the unbalanced would help too?

nothing can be too powerfulā€¦you just may not need to crank the volume dial as high as youā€™re used to. :slight_smile:

Anyone who got this got it with INCREDIBLY wobly buttons? Like they are awfully wobblyā€¦ Can even rattle. It sounds bloody amazing but this is really putting me offā€¦ Decided to send it back as I also paid to have the Ipower 5v which it also did not come with. Not too impressed :frowning:

@WaveTheory Has urs had this issue with the buttons being awfull? Looking at your review I would grab the asgard but cant in uk. I did really like the xbass button. Defo brought a lot more low end to my iems. However flr the price it cost me not getting the ipower 5v i paid for as well as them awfull buttons ima send it back. You think its worth tryinv to buy another?

For both Zens the round gray buttons are just kinda hanging there, tbh. Every time a pick up one of the units and move it I hear them jangling around. Iā€™d say itā€™s normal for these products adn the only way to ā€˜fixā€™ it is to buy something else.

hmm thats a shame. Well sending back due to not getting the power adapter i paid for but not too sure ima rebuy it. Surprised no one pointed out how awfull the buttons are haha

I thought I mentioned that in my review above? Hmmm. Donā€™t remember though and canā€™t go back and read atm.

Hope you find something you like.

u did. for the price, cuts must be made.

Yeah i mean id mind much less if I actually also got what i paid for :slight_smile: Might order again and see if I get it or they could be mislabled over here in uk

the launch edition comes with the fancier power cable. the standard edition comes with the generic one.

edit: i feel like ifi products are more popular in the UK then the USA. they may be sold out of launch editions?

Nope as i specifically selected the one with the ipower 5v and even jn the product pictures looks different. I seem to have just gotten the basic version.

got ya. yeah, they had to have sent ya the wrong one then. bummer :slightly_frowning_face:

yeah haha i was wkndering why it looked exactly like anothrr generic powrr plug i have for one of my lights. Where as the ipower one has a compleatly different look. Ill re order it as I did like how it sounded. Can live with loose buttons haha

Just got this amp, replace my magni 3. Still using modi 3 dac. HarmonicDyne Zeus headphones.

Xbass is fantastic on these headphones. Really adds some nice rumble these headphones were missing compared to my argons I sold.

3d audio is interesting and I will probably leave it on most of the time. The way I can describe how it sounds, is if my headphones had 2 drivers each ear, overlapping, right next to each other.

The buttons are very wobbly yes. No hissing issues. The Zeus comes with 4.4 plug by default so I am using that. I use it on lowest gain setting and the knob at 9 O clock is pretty good IMO.

1 Like

After a few days of using and just receiving the Ipower from the seller as my seccond one didnt come with it. Glad they send me one :smiley:, Made a slight difference must say. As for the AMP im really enjoying it, not using it on anything super power hungry so not had to use the gain settings at all.

The XBass is fucking amazing. Turn it on and my Starfields gain so much low end its actually quite surprising, tried it on my sonys too and to same affect but less Ive found. I pretty much just leave XBass on now unless the song is overpowering.

The 3D thing is very weird must say but I do enjoy it. For a per song basis alot I enjoy it on as it ive found to seperate the instruments more if thats how I could describe it. (very hard to describe) Less noticeable on my sonys but again on the Starfields quite alot more noticeable.

Loveing how good it sounds going from my M3PRO to this while also using with the SMSL Sanskrit MKII, cant really comment on how it sounds as I had them both together so no clue how much its helped but having it play everything is nice and no pops when the source changes is great.

Plenty of power for me using quite easy to run headphones as Ive said not had to touch any of the gain settings. Only been using 1/4" as I have no balenced headphones so canā€™t comment on that front but again I think it sounds great, will defo last me a while. Solid bass for a growing headphone/iem collection. As for a noisefloor I must say I cant hear one haha. Put on my IEMS with nothing playing and turn it up you hear a slight crackle at around 1/2 power while just moving the knob around at that area which is a bit weird but as soon as u stop moving it, it stops and cant hear shite. Max volume with nothing playing no hiss what so ever. Absolutely stunned. Also have never really needed to push it past half way on 0 Gain.

Build quilty is great apart from those damn buttons but there must be comprimises as said in other posts and I can deal with it as I only press them occasionly anyway and the knob is fantastic. Outer shell feels great. Gets slightly warm with use but thats perfectly fine not hot just warm. Nothing on my fully CLASS A receiver thats for sure hahaha. Overall very pleased with my purchase and canā€™t blame not getting the extra stuff on IFI. Product is very solid would defo recommend and personally think the shape of it looks great.

1 Like

Hey Guys,
Im new to audio and need some advice with pairing (Amp/Headphones)
I got an Zen Dac and a 58X.
Think abought adding a Zen Can and Argons (despite the waiting time)
Would love to know witch Headphones (<500ā‚¬/$) pair well with the Zen Can.
Thanks

1 Like

Iā€™m looking to get ZEN CAN but idk what DAC to get, should i stack ZEN DAC + CAN maybe? Can you recommend me some DACs? Thanks

IMO, low-impedance dynamic headphones are best on the CAN.

What kind of sound are you after? The Zens both have a warmer and smoother sound than most of their similarly-priced competition. Stacking them together can double down on that warmth. If you want something a little more neutral Iā€™d look at Topping E30 or SMSL Sanskrit 10th Anniversary Edition.

Well thats kind of a problem, iā€™m not sure what im looking for, i basically listen to everything with a little emphasis on hiphop. Also gaming. My HD58x are arriving in a couple of weeks so iā€™m looking to pair them up with some amp and dac, under 300 eur.

Im using my Zen can with the Sanskrit and really enjoying it. With both my Sonys and my IEMS. I also listen to everything pretty much and I do mean nearly everything. Been having alot of fun with em. I also couldnt find the Zen Dac in the uk on amazon atleast but could get the Sanskrit