🔷 iFi ZEN CAN Headphone Amplifier

I don’t think there are any can’t be named headphones in this forum, must be another forum you are thinking of. Feel free to name the can’t be named :laughing:. It could help others with offering proper synergy pairings and possibly give other suggestions for amps if needed

verum 1s are the 8ohm unit then

1 Like

Also welcome to HFGF! We are pretty laid back around here, so enjoy. Hopefully some folks will chime in and get you pointed in a good direction.

1 Like

some tests on ASR say its more suitable for headphones with 300 ohm.
1.2W at 32 ohm is not much. Not the best for Planar.
A30pro with ~5W( even at single ended because the amp is single ended internally) would be much better.

Of course you would lose the xBass feature and would have to build it yourself (Lowshelf +12Db comes down at 500Hz)

I power my zen DAC via the USB of a raspberry pi4.

I them as a Roon endpoint to drive a pair of DCA A2C on 4.4 balanced.

No complaints.

SQ is better if used with external power

Maybe.
Only ever used it via USB.
Previously from a Mac and now the Pi.

just realized that you have a super car with 4 cylinder engine in it. you’re using A2C like 10% of it’s potential. but if you’re happy with it then it’s all good :call_me_hand:

i own a zen can and verum one and love the combo it works great together

1 Like

Have you noticed anything “wrong” or particular in sub-bass heavy songs?

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by something sounding wrong?

I was really liking my Zen Can until I tried using it with my Ikko OH10. On 0db balanced there is a hiss from about 8pm and by 12pm on the dial it is louder than slow intro songs. On the SE connection it is again audible in quiet songs or podcasts when they stop talking.
In loud rock or frantic music its really not noticeable but I have noticed a lot more when relaxing with quiet tracks over the last few weeks.
Its truly a shame for me as I really like the feel, features and sound of the amp. I have the zen stack so not sure if that makes a difference at all.

1 Like

That is due to the sensitivity of the IEMs. It is a quite normal thing to experience on products. The louder the volume, the louder the hiss. Grab and IEMatch and your problem will be solved :slight_smile:

Yeah as sebastien said might be the sensitivity of your IEMS mate. My Starfields work fine with no hiss but they also take just as much power as my headphones so probably not all that sensitive haha. Do also have the Ipower or wat ever its called plugged in but doubt that helps much in this sort of case

I tried doing the power match but sadly didn’t help. I have it set up so the Zen Dac is feeding the Zen Can via a 4.4 cable. Volume on the Dac is set to zero with power match and truebass off.
Have the Can set to 0db but still here some hiss. I’m guessing its just due to the OH10 being more sensitive.
Its a shame as I was running them on the balanced port at under 50% volume.

He is talking about this guy right here. There is a 2.5mm version as well but would also need a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter to use that with the zen can balanced output

iFi iEMatch+ 3.5mm Male to Female Headphone Jack in-Ear-Monitor Audio/Optimizer/Attenuator Amazon.com

Thanks for the link I didn’t know about that little device. I’m kinda lucky as I already have a ddhifi 2.5 to 4.4 adapter for some reason.

1 Like

Ifi has something for everything it seems like

We generally do! Ha!

Has anyone tried playing a Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio track via Apple Music with 3D mode toggled on?

What is that like?