Im 20 I can hear up to 18 khz yet I love the sound of the dt 990

Even if that were the case more people than you should be able to detect it. And some sort of measurement should be able to detect something like that. After all measurements can pick up things that are inaudible to the human ear

1 Like

Also, you must have a ton of EMI wherever you are at then, because most of the time, average quality solder does not make an audible effect unless done extremely poorly, something that would have been cought at the factory. Just like internal wiring inside components does not make an audible difference if done correctly due to the very short length of cable

Edit: improperly cleaned leftover flux will cause a sound difference, because it could cause issues with other components. Unless solder is super old 50+ years, it shouldn’t make any audible (or even a significant measurement difference). And if it did make a difference in sound, it would most likely only be in very high frequencies that are far beyond the scope of human hearing)

1 Like

I never said they were bad, I said I hated them. I know a lot of people that like them, I know a lot that hate them.
Also I have hearing aids which tend to react really badly with coil whine and EMI.
They can also have some weird issues with some planars, like I can’t use any fostex headphone.
Some types of solders can also react to them poorly.

Sounds like your hearing aid is misconfigured and boosts the 15+khz range, which may never be a problem in day-to-day life, except when listening to music, especially with earphones. Someone in a forum even sent his HD58X to solderdude thinking they were broken (he was hearing nothing in the high treble range, above 10khz or even higher), before he realized, one to two weeks later, and only by listening to HD800s somewhere, that it was a temporary problem with his ears.

1 Like

Most other headphones sound absolutely fine.
Only a few headphones do this and they all happen to be by fostex or beyerdynamic. Argons however are fine, but dekoni blues aren’t.
It’s nothing to do with audio ranges, it has to do with materials used. When I didn’t have hearing aids, DT990s would cause me to get bad migraines.

To each their own, I guess. Boosted high frequencies can definitely be dangerous for some people (most, actually).

By the way, you can test your hearing with Audacity (free).

Step 1: LOWER your volume a LOT :stuck_out_tongue:
Step 2: Generate → Tone → Sine

-Frequency: 2 000hz
-Amplitude 1 (or, it’s the volume of the generated sine wave, so, lower the volume there too)
-Click on pre-listen (or whatever it says in english, je parle français) and it will play the tone.

A 15khz/16khz tone appears to be the same volume as 2khz for me.
For 17khz, it has to be +10dB (but ouch).

Apparently I can hear 19 000hz even, if I crank the volume a lot, like, 20dB higher than what I find really loud. But I probably shouldn’t have done that. Heh.

Be careful, most of us here have decent DACs and decent headphones here, which means this is a fucking weapon. Also, yes, headphones recommended. Don’t do that with your speakers… especially if you have children, cats, dogs, etc. at home.

Thank you for the helpful guide on how to remove neighbors children from your yard

2 Likes

That’s a great way to use my shitty Logitech speakers

1 Like

God dammit. :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: