I'm a noob - Next upgrade?

Howdy,

Obligatory I’m new here and and also an audio noob

So, on my home setup I’m using

A Schiit Hel plugged into a computer is where i’m getting my audio from, and that goes into a Topping PA3 which powers 2 ELAC BS-U5 speakers and provides signal to a powered Dayton SUB1000. Also worth noting that ive got a moderate amount of sound dampening, 4 16"x48" panels made using 3" safe’n’sound rockwool. Interconnect between my DAC and Amp is a audioquest 3.5mm to RCA adapter

My questions is… Am I getting the most out of my speakers? I originally got this cheap-ish amp to use with Micca RB-42s. It its able to get the BS-U5’s loud enough, but certain highs(especially voice/guitar) can definitely get a little harsh(i love the way the speakers sound in general, this is my only gripe) - but I don’t know if thats an amp/source problem, or if thats just the way the speakers sound when i crank em up. I don’t really have any context to what these or other ‘high end’ speakers should sound like.

Any advice, input, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I’ve gone back and forth between getting either a new DAC/preamp/headphone amp (something like the SMSL m500, with actual RCA-outs) OR a more ‘proper’ full-size amp/receiver.

I’ve had trouble finding a receiver I like though, they seem to all have a lot of bells and whistles that i’d just never use, so i’m leaning more towards just a dedicated amp.

def get a better amp, i have those speakers and amp. The amp powers my rb42 on my desk and i use a Emotiva power amp on the elacs for my living room its 150 watts and its way better than the topping 80 watts. It gives it better dynamics and range as well

1 Like

Hello,
Take a look to the older Harman Kardon Amps from the 90ty‘s are very good but only second hand to find.
The new Yamaha S801 can be a option,or the Project debut series have nice amps.

1 Like

A common recommendation here might be a Parasound zAmp v3 for dedicated power amp or Denon PMA-600ne for integrated. Neither would likely power very demanding speakers, but do nicely with probably most bookshelf systems.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I really like the look at that emotiva A-150 but sadly it is sold out everywhere :sob:

1 Like

Look at the parasound amps too though, and emotivas stuff should be back up soon.

1 Like

Would a MITSUBISHI DA-A7DC be worth considering for $175? It looks like its in good shape on the outside, but I’m having trouble finding info online. it says 4ohm on it, but the guy selling it said it might blow up 4ohm speakers??

EDIT: The Emotiva A-150’s came back in stock so i picked up one of those. Thanks again everyone!

1 Like