I'm undecided between these headphones. Can you help me?

All of these open headphones sell for less than €900. I think it’s the ideal amount to enjoy music without breaking the bank.
The headphones are these 4:
-Focal Clear OG
-Hifiman Ananda Nano
-Sennheiser HD660s2
-Meze 109 pro.

Could someone make a comparison between some of these products? Preferably someone who has tried them, owns them or has had them.

Thank you very much and happy new year.

@Roberto_Enther Folks will be able to help better if you mention which type of music you like and which dac/amp you plan to use with them. (Don’t know if you have already done so earlier.)
@WaveTheory has some good reviews you can check as well.

1 Like

TimpTim44 makes a very valid suggestion. On the incomplete, half assed side, I will offer my input. I own three of the four.

1. The Clear OG is my favourite headphone, period. It has often been referred to as W-Shaped and this is pretty true. Great bass for an open back, Really nice, somewhat forward mids and enough treble for anybody, unless you are a treble head.

2. I have had a long troubled history with Sennheiser. No mechanical issues, but they always bored me after a few months. And I have tried many. The HD660S2’s are my eighth Senn purchase. I liked them right off the bat, but as time went on I liked them even more. Beautiful clear sound, with more bass than normal. After several months I did start to think that maybe they could be better. I read about the fact that there are thick foam “filters” inside. I opened them up, pulled out the foam and they sounded even better! I then put some black pantyhose in front of the drivers to protect them. These are now on my top tier list (along with Clear OG’s, Grado GH2’s and HiFiman HE6se V2’s).
    A definite keeper!

3. The Meze 109 Pro’s. These are a funny little headphone, IME. The bass is sufficent, but can use some bass boost, the mids are magical and can compare with Grado and Focal on that front. The treble is very different, they are not bright but the treble seems way too large or long. I am probably not explaining that right. But the end result is that they have left me a little cold. I will probably sell them or trade them on down the road. Not bad, but not a favourite.

I have never heard the Anando Nano, but I have read and heard lots that it runs a little bright. Personal preference on that. Maybe you could try them out in a store?

Happy hunting! :+1:

3 Likes

the Focal Clear OG or the Ananda Nano. I don’t know the Meze 109, but Meze is a solid brand (with some stupid scientifically impossible opinions) but the Clear OG are literally Focal Stellia Lite’s at a third the price and those are the best headphones I have ever listened too!!!

I’m going to generally agree that the Clear is the all-around best headphone of the ones you’ve mentioned. Especially if you pair it with something like the Quicksilver. The 660s2 isn’t a bad headphone, I think it’s the most well-rounded of the 600-series, but unless it has had a fairly significant price drop, I’m not sure I can recommend it over the 650 or 660. One thing to note about the 660s2 though, is that despite it’s bump up to 300ohms, it really doesn’t react to tubes the same way the 600/650/6XX do.

I’ve personally not heard the other two, but have heard enough good things about the 109 Pro from enough people to shy away from it. So if you’ve watched 2-3 reviews of it from different people and it seems like something you might like, I wouldn’t be overly concerned about it being a bad purchase.

The Nano, on the other hand, I’m not sure I’d recommend. Seems like it is a regression from the previous Ananda from everything I’ve seen/heard. I’d look for an Arya Stealth or maybe even step up to the HE1000v2 Stealth.