In search for a BluRay solution

Introduction
Not entirely unexpected, the BluRay drive in my computer just gave up on me.
There have been problems reading CDs, recognizing DVDs and now it is dead.

I think I still have a SATA DVD/CD drive somewhere, so I am covered on those fronts.
Playing Blurays on a computer is a hassle (thanks DRM), which is the main reason I want to look into the viability of this venture.
HDMI to main monitor and I am 50% there. In theory I could use the DAC integrated into that monitor, but from prior experience, I would rather stick corkscrews up my ears.
Getting just another 5.25" bluray drive is the same cost as a normal bluray player, still is kind of an option. If this turns out to be impractical and I should not touch a (formerly) running system, tell me!

Now to my question:
If I were to plug the SPDIF out from a Sony BDP-S 1700 into something like an SMSL M100, that gives me an analog signal to work with, right?

TL;DR

• BluRay player or new 5.25" bluray drive?
  • Need analog signal (DAC with SPDIF in?)
  • Under 200€ (hard limit)
  • Parts need to be available in Europe (Germany)

yes, the optical out works with a dac. You just need to set the bluray player to pcm

1 Like

Xbox one X. Once Oppo stopped sales, the xbox-x became one of the best choices in my mind. Or a Sony playstation PS-3, i keep a spare one of those around just for the blue ray.
Edit; no idea if those fit your price range though, sorry if bad suggestion…

3 Likes

The Xbox one s would also work and can be found new under 200. Just make sure it’s not the digital version without disc drive.

2 Likes

Seeing as this thread has gotten 36 views and yielded 3 helpful replies, I got an idea to increase interaction in here:

• 5.25" drive (just replace what broke)
  • External player + DAC
  • Used Console
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

I never saw measurements for the PS3 RCA output, but remember the PS1 (20 years ago) was doing 95dB SINAD. So I would not worry at all about sound quality with a PS3. CD/DVD/Blu-ray/USB player. You can also change the hard drive in it easily, and put all your audio/video files there even. Access youtube/netflix too, etc.

I plug my PS3 straight into my Atom sometimes. Sounds great!

1 Like