Is 3.1 good for music?

I havent seen it enough times to time stamp lol. But they do cover center ch and how it relates to the front LCR. The andrew fella (gandalf looking dude) mentioned he used the front height channels together with left center right to “pull” the mix into the room.

gotcha. well, the Octave video was short and sweet and explains it quickly and simply. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Over 4hrs of podcast is a slog but its informative if youre invested in multichannel. ill go over it again and find the time they discuss center ch. Was hesitant to bring up 3.0 in a surround setting because 3 speakers playing back a stereo mix is a different animal.

Also to comment on this topic, personally I don’t see any value in using a center channel for a 3.1, a good pair of stereo speakers can do better than a dedicated center can at creating a coherent and convincing center image imo. Most music also isn’t multichannel so it would likely just end up sounding worse in how you try and handle the center channel. I can understand the desire for a surround setup with multichannel music, but I don’t think just adding a center without any surrounds does anything positive imo

1 Like