Is impedance related to durability?

I am talking about the IEMS. I have been told by some sources that impedances lower than 25 ohms in iems with dynamic driver have a shorter life. This is because the driver loses capabilities and will end up sounding different.

Is this true?

• YES.
  • NO.
  • I would avoid impedances on ALL iems less than 20 ohms.
  • I would avoid impedances on ALL iems less than 30 ohms.
  • I would avoid impedances on dynamic drivers iems less than 20 ohms.
  • I don’t know.

0 voters

wtf is this bullshit???

10 Likes

I have been told by some sources that impedances lower than 25 ohms IN WIRES have a shorter life. This is because the WIRE loses capabilities and will end up sounding different. :wink: :pinched_fingers: /sarcasm

That’s why I go with the highest impedance wires I can find. /sarcasm

This is sarcasm I hope…

conspiracy theorists meet audio lmao

3 Likes

Hopefully. I have already heard this from several users.

misinformation abounds and what you’re saying isn’t logical, so unless they can provide sound scientific principle, maths and real world examples of IEMs that have suffered this fate, discard it immediately.

impedance will affect how loud you will be able to drive them on mobiles devices running on battery, as they are usually limited compared to desktop solutions. higher the impedance means harder to drive, so if you ever try an IEM or headphone and can’t get any real volume to hear them, their impedance is too much. I think 60 - 80 ohms is about the max you can expect a mobile device to realistically be able to drive sufficiently…anything lower should be good.

the only thing to be concerned with when you have low impedance items is that you don’t have the volume too high and blow the drivers.

I don’t want to sound a prick on this one but do you want your IEMs to last long without any of the technicality? It’s simple.

Always take care of your stuff, handle it with care and love. Just because something is built to be durable and can be beaten up with no problems, does not mean you don’t have to take care of it.

I mean come on, what does impedance have to do with an IEMs’ durability? Like wat?

1 Like

The sensitivity matters most.

You can have headphone that is 110 dB_SPL/mW @ 250 Ohms and bring it to loud volume with 0.5 V_RMS and 2.0 mA.

Or you can have 110 dB_SPL/mW @ 16 Ohms with 0.13_VRMS and 7.91 mA.

AFAIK The main advantage with underpowered high impedance headphones is they should only sound quiet, whereas underpowered low impedance headphones may clip.

You would need to know the “normal” lifetime or use time of the particular IEM.
Like hundreds of units. How long they last with same usage before sound changes or break downs. Then you might have “baseline” to what compare to begin with.
They wont last forever anyways.

To that baseline you then need the variables…and oh boy they are in many.
Anything even close is the defect unit count what the manufacturer has inside the warranty times of particular IEM / product.

More likely… its something in the range of “user errors” that shortens the lifetime. On any product.

1 Like

Dont forget about the sensitivity, that is a bigger factor than impedance.

(also dont forget about current limitations from amps.)

1 Like