Is zeos as bad as people say?

Honestly, he really needs to structure his videos better. He needs a checklist of things to go over, and to become better at not going back on/contradicting something he previously said, often in the same review. Is he really that awful though? I trust many of his recommendations and (possibly due to having ADHD?) am not jarred much by his sporadic and un-professional review technique. There are seriously things he has to work on, but I don’t think his only value is entertainment… he is god damn entertaining though. He really isn’t an idiot. What do y’all think?

Edit 1: I have plans for a better topic regarding z, and hope for it becoming official, using many of the things I read here in my post. Stay tuned, it will be a banger of a post!

Edit 2: currently re-learning how to make a somewhat proper essay, I want my next post about z to be the post to end all posts about z.

Edit 3: Don’t bicker in the comments. That is all.

Edit 4: My desires and approaches regarding the topic have changed and I apologize to all who have been affected negatively, this topic and discussion and now null and void. Everyone have a good day now :>

2 Likes

Ever since he moved, his reviews feel like after thoughts. The amount of mis-information is my biggest issue. He doesn’t even know what kinds of, or how many drivers are in the IEMs he’s reviewing/listening to until he looks it up online during the review!

I used to watch Zeos’ videos for the wealth of knowledge he had, but lately, I’ve been going nuts listening to him ramble off incorrect information to his viewers only to sometimes correct himself later on if he realizes he messed up when he reads the website info.

The FOCAL Clear “MG” standing for “magnetism” was quite disappointing.

14 Likes

Speaking of mis-information.
He did read the “magnetism” from the web-page on the review he quoted.
So kinda the information was faulty on the actual webpage. :wink: Before they fixed it.
But still. Maybe he should have known?
Still. You can read “mis-information” daily bases in here as well. So maybe people should know?

3 Likes

True, i gave rave reviews of klipsch R-15. Sound good near a wall. Pulled from the wall not so good. But try to let the forum know to help others with their own system.

He doesn’t exactly feel like a reviewer, most of it feels like impressions rather than a full on review.

That’s not even mentioning the lack of actually thinking about synergy etc.

The biggest one for me was with the holo may review, way to put off a large part of your audience.

It’s sad because Zeos got me into audio and for that I’m grateful, but I more watch his videos to get annoyed now :sweat_smile: Also I wish there were more iem video reviewers around, I don’t enjoy watching any of them really, I much prefer reading places like headphonia etc.

5 Likes

Quite ironic that I see that after he released one of his best reviews to date imo (Schiit Asgard 3). I really think his “one review every two days” helped him. He’s got more time now.

Anyway… Zeos is a budget reviewer always aiming for the bang-for-the-buck stuff, and… according to a few audiophiles who heard and loved the Kitsune Holo May DAC, he might not have the good ears needed… for the higher tier stuff. But I subscribed to him after his review of the ~70$ FX-Audio DAC-X6 dac+amp I think. So… IDGAF. And most people don’t give a fuck either because most people won’t even consider 1000$+ equipment anyway.

TL,DR: Of course Zeos is a “bad high-end-stuff reviewer”, he’s a budget reviewer. It’s not his goal to beat Gordon Ramsay with his cooking videos either. I think most of the people who say he’s bad are just on the wrong website, and should listen to Hans Beekhuyzen, or the PS Audio youtube channel, or Next Best Thing Studio, for example.

13 Likes

How do you get the golden ear ? Money i guess.

2 Likes

I agree that he is a budget reviewer. And I think his rants and tangential asides can be great entertainment. He also is a shrewd salesman, who knows his job. If you understand Z’s preferences in audio (1.soundstage 2.more soundstage 3. cheap- with more soundstage) then you can predict 99.9% of the time what he will or won’t like.

I think for audio under 1k that he does a fairly good job- and is a lot of fun to watch. I would never take his advice on stuff 2k and over (but I’m not going to take anyone’s advice on 2k products, I’m going to hear them first myself- lol).

4 Likes

Zeos definitely has money, but he’s still fucking deaf.

1 Like

A bit off-topic here but also: Never blindly (…deafly? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) trust one reviewer. Look at a few recommendations from a few reviewers, try one pair of headphones, and see if your ears are the same as theirs, because all ears are different. Heck, if I’d have a signature on this forum, it would probably say “If your name isn’t Harman, then the Harman curve isn’t for you”.

For example, I’m treble-sensitive. Compared to me, Zeos likes treble. As soon as Zeos says “the treble can get a tiny bit too much”, I close the page. And I like mids. If Joshua Valour says “vocals are great”, I’m interested.

Otherwise, it’s easy to get screwed… but it’s your fault.

13 Likes

I actually listen to PS audio and Steve guttenburg, joe and tell (also budget reviewer), etc, and am by no means a fanboy of zeos, I just really like the way he reviews. I have to agree.

3 Likes

Z really needs to take some time to re-evaluate his review structure. If he really tries to structure at least the type of things he talks about while keeping things slightly random, it will be much more worth watching for the technical crowd (I am part of both). Include a checklist, know basic review points about his review item(s) before hand, consider what his audience will want to know about the item(s), definitely talk about the shape of sound (I hate super directional gear, partly because I want to be comfortable and partly because I may be bad at setting up my speakers in terms of proper direction, not sure until I get proper gear and my ears cleaned). yadda yadda, half decent reviewer, great at presenting things.

wait have I been missing something

I admit I watch his reviews for the entertainment factor half the time. However, from a viewers perspective, you also need to consider that everyone’s ears are built different, let alone your sound receptor in your brain.

Zeos is a sound stage reviewer, and he dislikes V shape.
Zeos is a casual reviewer, not technical.

What this tells us is that if you’d like to purchase something through the recommendation of a source, you need to know the preferences of that source. It’s a golden standard to price hunt for things; doesn’t that apply the same to watching reviewers? Before buying something, watch more, read more, and not just believing in EVERYTHING a certain source says. See something interesting on Z’s channel? Go to other channels and sites to cross-reference. If you know Zeos’ preferences VERSUS your own preferences, 80% of the time you’re safe. It just so happens that he gets a lot of the new things first-hand from the manufacturers, that’s why people go to his channel first.

9 Likes

that is what I’m trying to do better lol, nailed it

Personally I think of Z as just a guy sharing his opinions on gear rather than a professional reviewer. From that perspective, all his deficiencies are much easier to put aside.

12 Likes

He’s the “expert”. He should have known better. Again, he’s not doing any homework before the review which is unacceptable for an informative review. Anyone interested what so ever in the FOCAL Clear MG knew the driver was new and made of magnesium.

But… He’s not. He should be, but he is NOT.

I don’t think you should be defining his job right?

His point is going in blind. His point is budget minded. His ears are regular-human ears.
That’s what he defines his approach as. If you don’t like it that’s completely fine.

But then it’s not you telling others to change right? You should go look elsewhere.

I don’t like PewDiePie… But I won’t say he’s the one who needs changing. I just don’t wach him :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m not defining anything. I’m observing reality.

Zeos’ reviews used to be filled with 100% factual information and he spoke from experience. He constantly was giving viewers advise because he was so knowledgeable. I was always in awe of what he knew and how much experience he had. Now his reviews are amateur hour.

If that’s how Zeos wants to roll now, cool for him. I will look elsewhere. I just miss the old reviews where I was actually informed about the products he reviewed.

1 Like

I’ve only been watching for about a year so… I’m assuming I just don’t see the changes you see :slight_smile: