I've been wanting to try a DIY cable build

and i’ve been watching this channel for a while, it might be of interest to any other would be cable builders :+1:

4 Likes

Hollar/DM if you need some tips on soldering end points. I’m looking at doing it myself but my current work space is a bit more limited than Zeo’s apartment (as per tour).

1 Like

Can give you some tips on soldering if you need them.

2 Likes

I’m a qualified but non-practicing silversmith so the soldering is no problem it’s the cable braiding and working out plug terminations etc…I have most things needed to hand including my trusty multi-meter, I’ve been looking here for parts, wires and inspiration :+1:

Was thinking of making a 4’ 8 braid 3.5mm to MMCX cable and was wondering the best wire gauge to use 24 or maybe 26?

Jeweler channels usually have good tips on things like braiding. You’d want to practice on narrower gauge (higher number IIRC) wire since it’ll be more flexible, but not so narrow that it’s hard to handle. I’ve been using 24 gauge artistic wire for about 3 hours of practice time so far, I’m still terrible.

1 Like

I like their videos but they’re frustrating in that they talk for 15 minutes about braiding (which is fine, but they just repeat themselves when if you need to, you can just rewind and play again to watch the technique) but then when it comes to the difficult and fidgety stuff (like how to solder the cable to those tiny pins on an IEM 2pin connector) they speed the video up so fast that you can’t make it out even if you slow it right down

I need tips on soldering and common mistakes people make and all that stuff. Braiding, while difficult, strikes me as something that you only need to see once and then you need to practice again and again.

Been looking everywhere for a simple 2pin IEM soldering tutorial video and can’t find one

edit: this is in reply to the video in @Ohmboy’s OP

1 Like

26 would be fine.

1 Like

Just stay away from Litz wire unless you have a solder pot or some other workable mechanism to remove the insulation.

2 Likes

this is late, sorry. tin wire end, solder the 2 pin terminal, keep heat on terminal and add tinned wire into solder already on 2 pin. if you are good at soldering, you can use the drop method. “blob” solder on fine tip, dab onto the wire/connector terminal. the wire will suck up the solder. make the blob small. easist way to make a blob to start, is to coat most of your tip in solder, then hold it tip side down and slow spin it with your wrist(not fingers, so its wobble spinning). gravity + heat will do the rest.

using smaller diameter solder with flux can make smaller solder jobs easier

edit:typo

zeos basically shows you how to do small solder joints the way he tins wire. you can use the same method for hard to solder places.

edit: though do not use a chisel tip for small, use fine point and ram the point up your solder to get a little on the tip.

Ive been wanting to build my own cables and adapters for a while. especially when i found out stax adpaters for the 95x where selling for 150$ i already have a extension cable i could convert thanks for the link

do it, its easy. and iron’s are less then 15$