JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Looks a bit thicker than I’d like.

1 Like

What principle are you talking about? If I allow all of the HiFiGo ads to me shown to me on squiglink, then what “principle” is being served? Is the principle to suggest that all of the reviewer squiglink graphs are sponsored by HiFiGo and that the reviewers who post their squig graphs are also sponsored by HiFiGo? Today I noted that Jays Audio totally moved away from squiglink and that the reason was due to the HiFiGo advertising.

Again, I am totally confused about what “principle” you are talking about. Please elaborate.

3 Likes

The principle I’m talking about is moving away from squig.link when they have given/sold advertising space to hifigo, if it’s not in line with someone’s objectivity as a reviewer.

I dunno if you mistook my meaning but I’m fully in support of Jay (and HBB) distancing themselves from squig.link because they feel it goes against how they conduct themselves as reviewers.

8 Likes

Just A/Bed the same song for about 3 hours with the 61t/Davinci and the main difference in the low-end is that the Davinci is “slower” but goes deeper and harder, more satisfying in the slam, whereas the 61t is quicker but lighter with the lower-mids being better separated from the vocals but not as “fun” is how I would put it.

Resolution wise Davinci is slightly better with the vocals popping out more but I think the 61t is airier and the stage is slightly more open although at a slight hit to the timbre, the Davinci sounds more natural to me. Both trades blow with one another depending on your preference.

9 Likes

Thank you. This helps me to understand what is going on.

3 Likes

AFUL EXPLORER REVIEW: You’d be AFOOL, to sleep on AFUL… Explore

Alright bad pun aside, these are probably currently one of my favourites at around $100 - and just to get it out of the way - the Explorers are not the most technical or resolving at around its price.

VALUE PROPOSITION & SOUND:

Value wise they’re not going to beat the EA500LM, the SUPERMIX4, Nova or the planars like the T10. The resolution and detail retrieval is fine, I’d say it’s average for the price, but the tuning is more unique than a lot of the other stuff.

At mid volume they are a very comforting and chill listen, smooth, non-fatiguing, and it’s a set you’d use if you want to focus on something else, or if you just wanna sit back and relax. The vocals are definitely pushed back at mid-volume, it’s not very forward, you’re not going to hear lots of the vocal details, they’re kind of soft because they scooped out the uppermids, and the same thing could be said with the treble.

There is a roll off past 15K, it’s not going to be very airy, not very sparkly, not super detailed in general, and it’s more of a dark set at mid-volume - Which is why I wouldn’t really recommend it at mid-volume unless you like dark sets, but where the Explorer shines is when you crank them up.

These have incredible scaling, super immersive, and very smooth even at higher volumes because of the tamer uppermids and the treble. The vocals also sound more forward now because they are louder, you hear it better, they sound a lot more natural but never gets fatiguing or sharp since there’s almost no gain around 3K.

vs DAVINCI:

The low-end is also surprisingly good, when I was A/Bing these with the Davincis the Explorer has faster decay and is a bit tighter to me in the mid-bass separation. It doesn’t slam as hard as the Davincis, the note-weight, impact, and overall thickness and fullness is still better on the Davincis, but you know, the low-end just feels a little bit cleaner.

If we’re talking overall resolution and detail the Davinci is still a step above the Explorer, at mid-volume the Davincis are just straight up better, they’re more complete, better extended and balanced while having that thick thumpy bass, but if you’re willing to crank it up, then I would take the explorer.

Because imo the explorer is just more unique, it’s a lot more immersive, and once you crank it up the staging feels bigger than the Davincis, it kind of wraps around you makes you forget what you’re doing, and it feels like you’re just swimming in the music.

vs LETSHUOER S08:

Compared to the S08, the Explorer has more sub-bass presence, it’s fuller sounding, bass notes hit deeper, it scales better, but it does feel softer, less resolving, and less detailed in the uppermids and treble. Low-end wise it’s not as tight and well-controlled as the S08 even though the S08 graphs a little more in the mid-bass. The bass in the Explorer lingers longer, and the S08 feels faster in the attack and decay because of planar vs DD, whereas you’ll get better impact and noteweight with the Explorer.

I like to think of it this way, the Doscincos (my unit at least) is the heaviest in the slam, whereas the S08 is the lightest impact wise but feels the fastest, and the Explorer sits in between the Doscincos and the S08 with a good balance of both speed and slam.

If you want something cleaner and more exciting, get the S08.

vs ZIIGAAT CINNO

Now versus the Cinno, the Cinnos are basically a cleaner version of the Explorer, focusing more on the vocals and treble, with more detail and resolution as well as having sharper imaging, but it does have a little bit of BA timbre. Sub-bass wise the Cinno can also be lacking to some people, whereas the Explorer’s low-end hits harder, deeper, and even though it’s not as detailed, they are smoother and fuller sounding.

Stage wise the Cinnos are more pushed back, it feels more opened but it’s not as immersive although you do get more air and nuance to the cymbals and vocals, vocals pop out more on the Cinnos, whereas the Explorer is overall bassier and smoother.

So it really depends, if you want a clean, neutral, and slightly airier sound that works at mid to higher volumes that still scales decent without hurting your ears, then go for the cinnos, those will be better for classical, instrumentals, indie, singer-songwriter, they replaced the Hexa for me as a neutral/clean set… But if you’re looking for something bassier, more intimate, scales better, then the Explorer would be better for hiphop, rock, r&b, lo-fi, and stuff like that.

So you know, take a chance, Explorer… a bit… Because both the Cinno and Explorer are good sidegrades and alternatives to the harman sound from the nova and supermix4, they give you a different flavour to your music without destroying your wallet too much.

vs CKLVX/PULA PA02:

At mid volume the CKLVX feels a little fuller in the low-end compared to the Explorer, and it also has more air with the stage being more pushed back - it’s not as intimate, and it works better at mid-volume, as well as being a little more detailed and resolving. However, the listening experience is fairly different on both of them because the Explorer excels at high volume, it’s more immersive and intimate, whereas the CKLVX is more of a mid-volume set, being airier in the vocals and treble, and more dreamlike.

vs MAGIC ONE:

The Magic One on the other hand is a lot warmer than the Explorer with the vocals popping out a bit more but also being huskier. It’s the warmest out of all of them, but the sub-bass isn’t as pronounced, it’s not rolled-off, but it gets overtaken by the mid-bass, so not the best for hiphop, jpop or EDM because it’s very mid-bass centric, so better for jazz and rock etc.

All in all the Explorer is either going to be a hit or miss with many people. If you don’t listen loud or have a lot of rock, hiphop, r&b stuff then probably pass on these unless you just wanna try them out. And for the rest of those on the fence… Explore a bit… because i think they are worth a listen at least.

Here is the Final Ranking (HIGH-VOLUME):

Tonality: A+/S- (8/10)
Tech: B+ (5.5/10)
Overall: A- (6.5/10)

Thanks for reading :sunglasses:

16 Likes

Based on your excellent description, I think I’ll like the 61t more.

1 Like

Oh man, the title :joy:
Excellent comparisons.

1 Like

Uhhhhh Dynaquattro>>61t if you want cleaner mid-bass, review soon :+1:

sorry for the aful puns :face_with_peeking_eye:

4 Likes

Great write-up! I think your description really captures how they sound. :+1:

3 Likes

Puns are fun. I save mine for Friday at the office.

2 Likes

JUZEAR 61T & BINARY DYNAQUATTRO REVIEW/COMPARISON:

So,
Juzear 61t.
These look beautiful…

but I don’t know who they’re for

61T SOUND:

The 61t’s overall sound is slightly warm leaning with laid back vocals (a bit recessed, but we’ll talk about that later), and the treble extension is good for the price - it’s not the smoothest, sparkliest, or most detailed, but it’s enough, and you do get a taste of the air to the end notes and overall doesn’t feel dark. Technicalities are, ok, if you compare it to the value champs like the supermix4, nova, chopin, the 61t is not as technical as them and those would be the better pick if you want a cleaner sound and more detailed sound, or even the dynaquattro in this scenario would actually be better, but more on that later.

The 61t is a solid iem for the most part, the bass is good, you get a good amount of impact to the slam and will be enjoyable and more than enough for most people as the attack and decay is quick, and the bass doesn’t linger as long like the Davincis. However, it’s lacking a bit in engagement due to not being as hard hitting and fun as the Davincis.

The low-end doesn’t go as deep, the noteweight isn’t as powerful and resolving, and although you do feel the impact, you don’t however hear much of the smaller nuances when the driver snaps back. The 61t’s bass is a bit smoothed out is how I would describe it - it’s quick and punchy in the separation, but resolution and texture wise it’s just average… and there is also a bit of BA timbre.

Vocal wise - let’s start with the positives first, they’re very smooth and laid back, you’re not gonna find them fatiguing because there is a decent cut in the 3-6K region, making the overall presentation feel pushed back and not as forward. However, the vocals are a bit warm because of the low-end boost, more specifically the bass is more forward than the vocals - that combined with the cut at 3-6K makes voices sound buried in the track, especially female vocals they sound congested, lacking extension, lacking in power, and just not very natural sounding in general.

TIP ROLLING:

Now you can fix this a little by using wide bore tips. I tried the wide sancai and divinus tips, and they do help make the 61t’s vocals feel less buried and congested, but the issue with the extension, detail, and power still remains. So, best case scenario you get a punchy smooth low-end with laid back vocals and good treble extension with some BA timbre, which sounds ok on paper, but again… who is this set for?

GENRES:

It’s not an all-rounder because it’s a little too warm combined with the lack of vocals; I thought it would be good for kpop because of the 3-6K cut, but female vocals just don’t sound that great and it’s not the smoothest either for more energetic tracks. Ok, so maybe rock or hiphop then? Because you know, good bass, right? Well, although the low-end is punchy and decently forward, the 61t feels smoothed out, making the drum section sound boring and lacking in nuance. Also, I wouldn’t say it’s a bass centric set - that would still be the Davincis or the Doscincos depending on how much bass you want.

Both of them are around the same price, and if you’re not going full basshead the Davinci slams harder, it’s more engaging and powerful in the rhythmic section, better textured, the vocals are more natural and pops out more, and it’s overall the better pick when it comes to hiphop and rock imo.

Furthermore, if you wanted a clean set for indie, classical, instrumentals the dynaquattro is only $40 more and is much better for that. Then you also got the Magic One that does the warm signature better for more than half the price… and if you wanted something relaxing (which is what I think the 61t is trying to go for?) you also have the Explorer as well which is better tuned imo and more immersive at half its price… so, there’s just a lot of options out there.

Even though the 61t is a decent iem, the problem is that they don’t stand out enough or really excel in any context that I’ve tested: it’s not a value monster, it’s not a niche set because it doesn’t really know what niche it’s going for, and it’s not a jack of all trades either… Now if I’m really reaching, if you’re ok with EQing the 61t, it does become a more resolving and smoother version of the CKLVX or PULA after EQing down the low-end, but ya, that’s with EQ, and even then you can get the CKLVX/PULA PA02 for around $130-140.

BINARY DYNAQUATTRO:

The Dynaquattro on the hand is imo better than the 61t, it’s a very well tuned balanced sound signature, and pretty coherent given the fact that it’s using 4 DDs. The bass doesn’t feel like it’s lagging behind the other frequencies, and timbre is very natural as you’d expect from a DD, or 4 in this case.

vs DAVINCI & 61T

I do like the Dyna more than the Davinci and the 61t, and in-terms of clarity and resolution the Dynaquattro is a bump over both the Davinci and the 61t - the bass especially feels more resolving as I can hear the details from the end trails better when the driver snaps back.

In-terms of impact and power the Davinci is still going to be the best, it just feels the heaviest and most authoritative, and then after the Davinci impact wise it would be a tie between the 61t and Dynaquattro, with the differences being that the dynaquattro’s bass notes are better textured and don’t feel as smoothed out.

Distance wise the Dyna is also the least forward when it comes to the low-end, both the Davinci and 61t have a tamer uppermids and treble area which shifts the focus more on to the low-end which makes it feel more forward, whereas the bigger 3K gain and treble shifts the overall sound to be more balanced in the mids and treble.

Vocal wise the Dyna has the best vocals out of the 3. They cut through the low-end nicely whereas both the Davinci and 61t feels less detailed and more colored, especially with the 61ts the vocals are just noticeably more recessed. Now, some people might find the 3K area to be too much on the dyna because it does follow a more Harman uppermids approach, but I think it’s fine because Binary did cut the 5-6K region where most of the sibilance happens. It’s not a high volume set by any means, but if you’re listening under 75-80dbs you’ll be fine, although the Dyna does need a good amount of power, at low gain I was near max on my topping G5 which is a very capable amp power wise, so just a heads up power wise.

POTENTIAL ISSUES:

Another small issue aside from the 3K potentially being too much for some people, are the peaks at 8-10K and 15-20K which is noticeable on more energetic songs like Butterfly by Loona, or Say it by Yorushika. For the most part though the Dyna is enjoyable for kpop and jpop and other energetic genres if you don’t listen loud, but I wouldn’t say it’s the smoothest at its price range, both the Nova and Supermix4 are smoother as well as the Hype 2; the Dyna is good for genres like indie, rock, bands, or instrumentals that focuses more on vocals and layering.

There’s also some masking of uppermids detail due to the combination of the big dip at 4K and then the big peak at 8K, which combined shadows the 4-8K region pushing it back more and being less audible, so electric guitars and consonants can lack the bite that some people are looking for, but this does save your ears on certain songs, so that is a trade off you should consider.

WORTH IT?

All in all though the Dynaquattro is the cleanest and most balanced out of them, it’s my favourite out of the 3, and imo it’s straight up a better version of the 61t given both have similar amounts of bass but the Dyna improves upon the resolution in the low-end as well cleaning up the vocals to be more natural. The 61t isn’t a bad iem, but it’s just in a bad spot right now… caught between all the competition with nothing really to stand out.

Here are the Final Rankings:

Juzear 61t (Mid Volume):
Tonality: 6/10
Tech: 6/10
Overall: 6/10

Binary Dyna Quattro (Mid Volume):
Tonality: 7.5/10
Tech: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Also guys, vote for the final tuning of ZIIGAAT X JAY - ESTRELLA here :sunglasses:

11 Likes

I will watch this Review after getting my units and validate HaHa, JK

Both of my units are taking longer than expected

1 Like

Let us know how they are :eyes:

Went to open squig, got hit by this lol

Thank you Hifigo!

7 Likes

I think a lot of folk will be switching to GitHub to host their graphs?..It’s suppose to be a database and not a shop front.

11 Likes

Wdym im going to buy the Dynaquattro now that Hifigo has notified me of its existence! GitHub could never

/s

6 Likes

Waiting for the jay collab to pop up on the screen. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

ROFL I should do that to troll them ahahahahh

I should also send one to Crinacle :rofl:

6 Likes