JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Yes. This is clear to me. But does it sound like DD. I doubt!
And another thing that I have noticed as a musician-guitarist: Sonion’s timbre is close to DD. Knowles’ timbre is worse for instrumental music. But FR is still important. There are 1DD IEMs that have a bad timbre due to poor FR, so not all DDs are good for instrumentals and metal, but most are better than BA IEMs. These are my insights :upside_down_face:!!!

3 Likes

Jay, I have to say, I REALLY dug this video. Couldn’t have done the analysis better myself. I haven’t had much time for YouTube lately, but as I was catching up I saw that you made this one on my OG Monarchs and I just had to check it out. Keep putting out quality work like this and your channel will be going places, bro! :+1::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Thanks for the love man :pray: It means a lot to me, really. I’m very grateful I was able to try the Monarchs since they’re a very special set. Layering and clarity on certain tracks are phenomenal, and the plate design is also just… :ok_hand:

But, more on the way! Working on a Vocal tier list right now :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah, I find the OG Monarchs to be quite special. I have never heard anothet set that sounds like them or has their unique presentation.

I will keep an eye out for your upcoming releases, bro! :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

Great reviews man. Would love to see that vocal tier list!

1 Like

Coming soon! :wink:

3 Likes

Hey ya’ll - tier list finally done :sweat:

Vocal List here :sunglasses: JAYAUDIO VOCAL TIER LIST - Google Docs

13 Likes

Very smexy!

1 Like

Thats a great video! Its super helpful as someone who rates vocals highly

2 Likes

Thanks guys
GleefulRectangularHellbender-size_restricted

1 Like

No, thank you. You guys have my hype to try out the RSV rising steadily. Looking forward to it

3 Likes

How would you compare the Oracle MK2 vocals to the RSV? Looking at the graph its got the same upper mid slope but some peakiness in the treble. I dont find the IE600 spicy so I am wondering if I can get RSV like vocals with better bass response…

Not even close tbh. Oracle MK2 is over-sharpened. Not as forward as RSV, to me timbre is unnatural, thin, harsh, too much treble - would not recommend unless you’re a treble head or have some form of higher fr hearing lost that can balance out the extra treble. Mid volume is fine, but anything a bit higher and it gets too fatiguing. Vocals on RSV is very open and forward but smooth, natural, and note-weight/distance is perfect.

2 Likes

Thank you! You talked me off a ledge

1 Like

Ahh fudge… I’m a sucker for vocals. I need to look for a 2nd hand RSV in the market. Couldn’t take the 730$ tag

2 Likes

Fair - $730 is a bit much in the current market. Just sold my RSV a couple days ago haha

2 Likes

I just got a good laugh from your 3 second planar diss at the very end of your Best Value IEM of 2022 video. Have any planars changed your mind for having decent timbre since?

1 Like

Pandas :panda_face::panda_face::panda_face:

4 Likes

Hey guys, hope everyone had a great weekend. Today we got 2 IEMs to talk about, the 7hertz Legato, and the BQEYZ Winter. Both are actually very nice and enjoyable in their own ways, but before we start - I’d like to Thank Linsoul for sending these - go check them out. But without further adieu let’s just jump into it.

Starting with the WINTER. Now, this set really surprised me because I didn’t expect it to be this good. As many of you know, I LOVE the Dark Magician, and the WINTER is pretty much a cleaner and less special version of the DM. Low-end wise, the WINTER isn’t beating the texture and impact from the DM, but it’s very clean, quick, and well separated. The slam is not nearly as heavy as the Legato, but it’s not light either - so somewhere in the middle. Still very resolving, but could use more sub-bass extension.

But the midrange on the other hand is very well done - clean, laid back, and well layered. It’s less forward versus the DM, but vocals feel more open and “correct” because there’s less mid-bass mixing with the mids, although not as intimate. Instead of the airy timbre from the DM, the WINTER is more sharp and “cold” as its name suggests. But this doesn’t mean the WINTER lacks treble extension because cymbals and flutes still extend and sound very natural.

I don’t feel like I’m missing any parts of the frequency response, rather notes sound sharper on the WINTER versus the DM, but, of course at the cost of scaling and dynamics, which the DM is still smoother at. And it does look like the BCD in the WINTER is doing its job with the improved resolution and layering, but if you don’t get a good fit then the treble will come off as harsh, so just a heads up. Imaging wise, both are very close - precise, separated, and fast, but staging still goes to the DM with its expansive presentation. I’d say the WINTER is above average for soundstage.

So, although it’s not going to replace the airy, intimate, and grand feeling of the DM, the WINTER still performs when it comes to clarity and resolution, which it actually does better on versus the Dark Magician. As an all rounder set with great tech and a solid tuning, I’d give the WINTER a shot. I personally prefer it more than the Hexa and HeyDay since the note-weight is more natural as well as being smoother dynamically, but value-wise the Hexa and Olina is just much better. But either way, great job BQEYZ. Keep them coming.

But moving on, let’s talk about the Legato - and oh boy does it have some thundering bass. Not just your “oh it’s got a nice bass boost” type of signature, but actual satisfying amount of low-end designed for bassheads type of bass. The mid-bass slams so hard, and the bass texture is fast, heavy, and overwhelms the rest of the frequency in the best way possible. It shines on HipHop, trap, and low-end focused libraries, taking songs like GKMC, JUGGERNAUT, and LUMBERJACK to another level with the new raw energy and momentum it brings.

This is definitely a turn up the volume kind of set as it scales surprisingly well with little harshness in the uppermids and treble. The sub-bass extends deeply into your chest, and the rumble is very clean but also heavy and satisfying. You can really feel the physicality and slam of the driver. So, as a basshead set the Legato gets my rec 100%, and is a natural upgrade to the Rosefinch in-terms of bass resolution and texture - not 5 times better, but still noticeable. Comparing it to the EA500, the Legato is also better in-terms of bass quantity and impact, and way more engaging and immersive, but the EA500 is audibly better in-terms of separation and imaging.

Because of its massive bass-shelf the Legato runs into issues with masking in the mid-range and treble, which affects its overall layering and clarity. The recessed 3K and the little scoop affects vocal timbre as well, making vocals feel a bit hollow and further away, but also too warm and congested because of the extra mid-bass. Similar to the midrange, the Legato’s Treble also lacks the clarity and extension since the low-end is much louder and takes away most of your focus, masking micro-nuances in other areas. Imaging on the Legato is also a bit blobbed together and not as clean and precise versus the EA500, and the staging is very intimate and forward, lacking the air and open feeling on sets like the Olina.

So, in terms of “technicalities” you can find much better sets like the Hexa and Olina at its price point, or even the Khan. I’d definitely avoid the Legato if you have a lot of rock, vocals, and alternative stuff as it sounds noticeably bloated and congested, but if you love bass, and a lot of it, then the Legato is THAT set. Super fun and immersive with a high-quality low-end.
Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Your boy has finally got an affiliate link - so if ya’ll ever wanna buy something and wanna support me please use these (if not that’s cool too!) Thanks for all the love and support guys :black_heart:

General: Best Audio Gear - High Quality Earphone Headphone DAC Amplifier Amp – Linsoul Audio

Legato: 7HZ Legato – Linsoul Audio

Winter: BQEYZ Winter – Linsoul Audio

4 Likes