JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

I, as a musician (rhythm guitarist in a rock band a few years ago) can only say one thing - Variations and similar FRs are not suitable for rock and metal music. There are more genres that have been brought down by similar FRs! Therefore, I will ask some people who do not understand anything about metal music (Timmy) not to say “competently” that the Variations are suitable! I haven’t listened to the Mon MK2, but looking at the graphics, you’d have to be a deaf hen to listen to metal with the MK2. That’s all I have to say! Have a nice day (or night) :wink: :purple_heart:

3 Likes

SOUND POLICE! Drop your IEMs on the ground and back away with your hands in the air!

2 Likes

Aaaaaand… could you explain why it is not suited for metal? And what should one look for then, regarding FR, if “metal acuracy” is the goal?

1 Like

Well, there are musicians here, not just listeners, so listen to what they have to say! :wink:

1 Like

I’ll listen. I just may not comply :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::kissing:

1 Like

Do what you want. I rarely agree with you either! :grinning:

1 Like

Pretty cool how we can enjoy what we enjoy, and have completely different but meaningful experiences :pray:t5:

2 Likes

Exactly! :wink: :boom:

2 Likes

The question is very extensive and long for discussion. I’m considering making a thread about it. But in short - there should be a good, textured mid-bass (not entering the lower mids), there should be a sub-bass (that does not exceed the mid-bass), very good mids with a bit of tucked upper mids. Well done mid treble and air. This generally in FR. Otherwise, timbre is very important - so far there are almost no BAs that can beat DD for timbre. The quality of the driver also matters because it must have excellent micro and macro dynamics! And, of course, good male vocals! Guitars should be full and tight, with a sharp edge, no squeal and high distortion from the driver. The drums should have good texture and rumble, but not dominate the overall mix. The separation and resolution should also be good so that there is no overload. This is in short! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I don’t listen to a lot of metal, but could you give me some examples of what sets do what you say good so I can take a look on how it is visible in frequency response? S12/IE600?

1 Like

Edited lol…Deffo in the bass department but also in the treble (not tried EST’s but super tweeters are pretty :gem: in that department too)…BA’s get the mids :+1: from me if the tuning’s on point.
That being said I still appreciate og Andro’s :unicorn: BA treble :man_shrugging:

1 Like

IE600 and S12 have many similarities in sound. They also have differences, but in general they are good for metal. Most importantly, they don’t have flashy upper mids. FR does not show everything! With the IE600, there is a slight retention of the middle frequencies, which puts it a step behind the S12. The guitars are a little more defined on the S12, but to me they sound better on the IE600 - more fluid and smooth, but YMMV. The separation is better with the IE600, the soundstage is also better. Overall, I prefer the IE600 over the S12, but it’s not far off.
The weak point is that they don’t have that good male vocals, but on the other hand they are clean.
However, to accomplish all this, both IEMs require good amplification! :wink:
Now you can look at the FR and make a reference, but it doesn’t show everything as nymz likes to say :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

They are good but I was not impressed. Maybe because I listened to them for 10-15 minutes with bad ear tips. BA for mids are the best, but you have to have excellent tuning and from there good timbre, otherwise they are bad.
But I think the Andros have stood the test of time :wink:!

2 Likes

Ya no Variations is not even suited for rock, so it has no chance with metal :rofl:

It’s pretty good all rounder but can’t specialize in certain genres because of the mid-bass tuck and treble energy.

3 Likes

I would also add the thin mids :wink:.

2 Likes

Nice surprise this morning! Vortex kindly provided by @cal_lando :grin: - the other one’s the JVC HAFDX1

First quick impressions: the DD in the Vortex is reaaaally good. I added a 10db+ bass shelf for the fun of it and the bass control really shocked me. Stock tuning is also very lush and enjoyable.

Can’t tell if the Vocals on the FDX1 are DM level yet, but VERY natural, full, and powerful. Bass is also super clean - again the DDs seems like they’re of high quality. The 4-5K peak is very interesting so gonna need to spend more time with this one :wink:

9 Likes

Im glad it made it!

1 Like

Moondrop Lan - Graph looks good. Price looks good. Hope it’s good.

I’d be down for a smoother Chu/Zero ngl.

1 Like

If it comes with spring tips, that’s probably a winner, cause I said Chu with a detachable cable would’ve done bits

1 Like

I think it comes with foam tips only and not spring tips unfortunately