JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Very true, the bass on the Meteors is just flat out great bass, regardless if it’s BA or DD. @GooberBM puts it best when describing the ideal way to tune BAs for bass, there has to be a sufficient shelf that doesn’t bottom out too early because it just sucks all of the energy out of the mid bass, especially for bass guitar. The Meteors, imo, do a fantastic job at having that slower more natural like warmth but with a faster decay. The only downside I saw on the Meteors bass is the softer attack on the initial transient but besides that, I really enjoyed it.

I know the Hisenior T4 is a hit or miss for most people, I personally love that IEM and I find that bass damn impressive out of those as well, it’s just lacking that texture a DD presents.

Symphonium Titan enters the chat

6 Likes

4 Likes

I see that from you and I will read the walls of words. :rofl:
Smart people in this hobby are like sharks, an oddly feared and sadly declining species.
double entendre added to mock dummies :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

@pylaczynski Love the breakdown man, good shit :saluting_face:

I think I’m the opposite of you guys, I tend to like a “slower” mid-bass playback that slams harder, it just needs to be fast enough so it doesn’t hurt the separation or bleed, but I do prefer a heavier feeling to the sound as it’s more immersive to me

7 Likes

Yes. All this is also according to Boyle’s law - p.V=const. The “pressure build-up” is actually eardrum fatigue from the vibration of the BA, not from an increase in pressure itself, because if that’s the case, it would follow that you have pressure building up from 1DD as well. According to this law, if we have a larger volume (the nozzle is further from the eardrum in IEM) then the pressure will be less and then the fatigue should be less.
One thing is certain here - the “pressure build-up” is a fact, but in my opinion it is related to the fatigue from the faster vibration of the BA without ventilation. This is my empirical explanation and I don’t know if I’m right.
But for the hardcore audiophile, this is not a problem because he continues to buy full BA IEMs. :smile:

4 Likes

I don’t think I know about any DD IEMs that are unvented, but there may be ones and then the same would apply.
For more common vented ones it would not be the same as the vents in the shell would act like pressure release valves releasing the extra pressure that was created during insertion (just like if you’d drill a hole in a piston moving in a cylinder). Afyer some time the pressure in the ear canal should come back to normal +/- 1 atm.
It may take more or less time depending on the cross section area of the vents to equalize.

Actually infamous driver flex even in vented sets (I have it on bad on my MEST) is happening when you insert the set to the canal and the pressure release allowed by vents is not “fast” enough as compared to the pressure increase of the fastly compressed air in ear and it forces the membrane to be pushed unnaturally away from the eardrum. To prevent that you may want to “insert it slower”

At least that is what she said

5 Likes

My old IE80S doesn’t have a vent I think, at least I can’t see where it is, but there is no pressure build up.

1 Like

LOL

That makes sense, the driver flex on the EE EVO was so atrocious

2 Likes

The simgot EM10 looks interesting. I like the different colour faceplates really nice.

Only thing the concerned me was the upper mids, looked a bit shouty from the measurement. Can see hbb has graphed it now and it confirms my concern:

Sold my variations I while back as I found them to much in the upper mids. Would make me wince at times.

Not everyone is as sensitive to these frequencies as me, so I’m sure it’ll be great for the people who aren’t.

7 Likes

Sim’s also got more sub bass and less of a mid bass tuck so I’m not sure how that effects the over all replay :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Tasty but shouty upper mids. So sadly. FR looks promising, but…

1 Like

Yeah, it should make a bit of a dif. I know some people don’t find this kind of upper mid presentation shouty at all , but some like myself do.

If it had a more relaxed pina with a bit of a dip at 3k it would’ve been on my to-buy list for sure.

2 Likes

Been testing them and they’re not shouty. The variations were thin, not shouty to me. The extra mid bass and sub helps a lot

Drop me a song or two and I can test for you

9 Likes

I dont have any iem with upper mids like that now so i couldnt provide one.

Also some people dont find upper mids like that shouty, was the same with the variations, but i know other like myself do. I definitely wouldn’t like that 3k peak.

I guess there’s many factors to consider like ear anatomy, frequency sensitivity, hearing etc.

3 Likes

hmm, to me on sets without ANY vents at all like the T800 (iirc), I do notice the pressure increasing over time. While on a set with a tiny vent near the connectors (SeeAudio Bravery), I do not get the same pressure increase over time.

1 Like

Fortunately this time, it is very simple to just reduce that pinna with some nozzle mods.

Agreed, I’m a fan of BA bass most of the time because I think I’ve been very lucky with the sets I’ve tried personally.

The Elysian Divas are also a stand out when it comes to bass. It’s very elastic and bouncy but super clean and doesn’t effect the vocals at all. They were a surprise for me on my second listen, I think I preferred them to the Annihilators in terms of overall presentation but the Annis have probably the best treble I’ve ever heard personally. Speaking of the Meteors, those had the 2nd best treble I’ve heard and honestly, they’re on my radar to buy sometime in the future if I can get the pressure issue sorted with some more tip rolling.

4 Likes

Well, my theory is that those are because of your in-ears’ receptor cells are getting more and more irritated throughout the time of the exposure. The set cannot pump more air into your canal, so physically the pressure cannot increase - that is a fact.

Maybe stupid example, but first that comes off top of my head - when you are out in the moderate cold standing still it takes certain time for you to feel the inbearable discomfort even though the temperature may be the same. There is certain thermodynamical mechanism behind this example that requires time, but maybe receptors in ear react in analogous way? :thinking:

3 Likes

You can relieve the pressure by poking a hole through the flange of your ear tips, thus creating a vent without affecting the fr.

From Head-**:

3 Likes

Thats a band aid solution yeah, but I am pretty sure it does affect the FR (Bass) like this mod.

8 Likes