Jazz recommendations anyone?

If you wanna Sunday morning version of that…Sorry can’t seem to post the whole album,but Dick Morrissey Soliloquy’s album is just that…https://youtu.be/WPIWTsLRoUI

Just listened to a few tracks, loved the funky Red Shoes. I’d love a drier mix of this album. I think I just realized I’m usually more into jazz with natural reverb.

There’s the ever eponymous Andrea Motis and Joan Chamorro Quintet. Samples below!

3 Likes

Jazz at the pawnshop. Apparently this is “audiophile jazz”. Like, nobody knows about this CD except audiophiles, because it was really well recorded. Just a lucky guy placing high-quality microphones at the right places five minutes before the show starts, hitting “record”, and here it is. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

2 Likes

I haven’t seen Wes Montgomery mentioned so I’d like to throw his name out there:

As far as present day stuff, I really love Thundercat’s work, as well as badbadnotgood:

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/user/snarkypuppy

1 Like

currently my favorite trio… GoGo Penguin

5 Likes
2 Likes

Hah! 10 points if you can hear the person coughing in the last track. :slight_smile:

Dave Brubeck.

8 Likes

Can never go wrong with any cro-magnon album

3 Likes

This is nice. :slight_smile:

Yeehaw! Jazz and weeb stuff.

1 Like
2 Likes

Forgot about this one, lol!
Definitely not safe for work :sweat_smile:

Beekman needs some love

Kamasi Washington is excellent, specifically his album Heaven and Earth

1 Like

There is a great horn player that goes by the name Trombone Shorty. He is a Trombone player and so gets classified as Jazz. In truth he is jazz, rock, pop and R&B.

Great entry point into Jazz for people who aren’t completely sold on it. I have all four of his albums and love them.
Another good one is Nubya Garcia, a lady from the UK. And as already mentioned, Kamasi Washington.

I concentrate on horn jazz, including a lot of the classics such as Miles Davis, Freddie Hubbard, Hank Mobley, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus and Lee Morgan (I just bought a 1957 album from him last week).

Check out those names in iTunes, YouTube or anywhere else you listen.

Shane D

2 Likes

My dad was a jazz drummer and slammed us with big band swing. I do like swing. Try Masterpieces by Ellington: it is a shockingly good recording of some great tunes.

I prefer hard bop. Miles Davis Kind of Blue is an obvious starting point, but John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Eric Dolphy

Just check out the personnel on any of these albums and look for other albums with those people. Jazz musicians all played with each other at one point or another.

If you like jazz piano, look at Herbie Hancock. He has played for so long, he has played just about every type of jazz. One of my very favorite artists. Maiden Voyage is bop and Headhunters is a crazy 70’s tripped out polyrhythmic adventure.
Bill Evans’ Portraits in Jazz and Sunday at the Village Vanguard are classics and Evans is infinitely listenable.

If the Piano trio is floating your boat, check out Chick Corea, Trilogy or Trilogy 2

Dip into fusion, funk jazz with Deodato 2. part of a run of Cree Taylor produced, Rudy Van Gelder albums. Pretty much most things Rudy Van Gelder recorded is sweet.

Those are a few suggestions. If there are certain genres of jazz you are interested in, I can focus for you.
Cheers!

4 Likes