Jazz recommendations anyone?

Mathias Eick : Album: Skala : Track: Oslo:
ECM Records

Eivind Aarset Album: Electronique Noire: Track: Dark Moisture

Eivind Aarset Album: Connected :
Track : Silk Worm: :Jazzland Record :

1 Like

I love Stanley Turrentine, I have no idea why he is “overlooked”. Sugar has a great Slow Smokey Steamy groove throughout. To me is like bop and soul-jazz smash head on into the 1970’s. I like the groove of “Sunshine Alley” a bit more than the more iconic and better known title track “Sugar”. Headphones or subwoofer recommended to get the full Hammond B3 Organ effect.

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about Robert Glasper. I’m not sure how this connects to Nina Simone (Read Wikipedia page or AllMusic review). It reminded me a lot more about Miles Davis’ Rubberband— which I know is almost sacrilege for Miles Davis fans, but it works for me on its own as a completely plausible direction that Davis may have taken if he were still around. Miles Davis - Rubberband (Álbum, 2019) - YouTube

Hey no problem. I had heard of his work particularly on the Miles Ahead soundtrack. He’s an excellent pianist, won a few Grammys I believe.
To be honest I bought the R&R = Now CD based on hearing the Resting Warrior cut on Tidal one night. The rest of the CD has some great cuts but I prefer instrumental jazz/funk music without vocals.
As for Miles, his Decoy and Tutu albums were fun and a definite change in direction… Who knows how it could have gone.:slightly_smiling_face:

Bill Evans Trio. Any of it, really

Weather Report :
Album: Heavy Weather
Track: Teen Town

1 Like

GoGo Penguin: Track : Window
Album: A Humdrum Star: Penguin Music :penguin:

3 Likes

Anouar Brahem : Track : Blue Maqams
Album : Blue Maqams : ECM Records

Anouar Brahem: Track: The Astounding Eyes Of Rita : Album : ( Same as track) ECM

Good call — Aarset is one of my favorite guitarists, one of my favorite artists. I loved his work with Nils Petter Molvaer (and am sorry that time has ended), love all of his work as a leader too. Almost. Not wild about Sonic Codex, but all the rest.

1 Like

Thanks Wagstaff. Yeah, I like his work too. I have Sonic Codex and a few others. I’m not too crazy about his full on experimental stuff and Codex kinda’ leans that way. I much prefer him with Nils Petter who I have a lot of CD’s by. Nils is one of my favorite Norwegian musicians. I kinda wish Eivind would play more normal guitar sometimes instead of so much effects type of playing…

1 Like

I like the Live Codex follow up though!

Did you have a listen to that Mathias Eick track I posted @ #122 above. So many good Norwegian jazz artists… There must be something good in their water. :wink:

1 Like

Yes — I am also an Eick fan; and agree about the Norwegian jazz/“Nujazz” scene or movement or whatever it is…. Arve Henriksen is another trumpeter I follow. (And not Norwegian at all, but sort of a granddaddy to a lot of that music, Jon Hassell, who just died recently…. ).

Oh yes I have music by a lot of Scandinavian artists . I probably shouldn’t have narrowed it down to Norway in in my previous comment.
So much good music out there. A lot of people dont follow these artists , but it’s not exactly popular music, which is understandable.
Other talented people like; Jakob Bro, E.S.T, Nik Bartsch, Eric Vloeimans, Thomas Stronen, Eric Truffaz, Arild Andersen, Tord Gustavsen , Terje Rypdal, Bobo Stenson, Jon Balke , Trygve Seim, Bugge Wesseltoft, Frederick Nordstrom, Bo Kasper Orkester, Tore Johansen, Tingvall Trio, Wolfert Brederode Trio, Etc,Etc…

Bugge Wesseltoft , Henrik Schwarz , Dan Berglund: Track : Take A Quick Break
Album : Trialogue

Mathieu Saglio , Nils Petter Molvaer , Steve Shehan
El Camino de los vientos

Ah, what a wonderful afternoon of bossa-nova inspired daydreams to “candy strings” had I.

Full Album: The Composer of Desafinado, Plays - YouTube

Some may pass off Antonio Carlos Jobim’s album “The Composer of Desafinado Plays” off as “elevator music” but instead, this album has an effect I call “candy strings” which I hear on few albums. The air on on the string or wind sections have a distinctive sweet sound which could either be described like fluffy cotton candy, or could also be syrupy like honey.

The mastering and version does make a big difference. Qobuz 24/192 does have a bit of candy strings effect on the peaks. But I heard a ton more air/candy strings on a SACD version, which unfortunately is unavailable: HRAudio.net - Antonio Carlos Jobim: The Composer Of Desafinado, Plays

I’m starting on a quest to listen to as many of the Blue Note LP albums as I can. And no, I don’t have an archive of first pressing vinyl to rely on, so it will be whatever is accessible to stream.

First two:
Miles Davis Volume 1 — BLP 1501
Miles Davis Volume 2 — BLP 1502

These are widely considered to be the fiery first Hard Bop albums, one of many shifts in Jazz lead by Miles Davis who always seemed to be out ahead blazing the trail every time.

2 Likes

@MikeyN6IL Classic stuff. “Kind of Blue” is often recommended for testing gear. Enjoy.