Jazz recommendations anyone?

@Le Dechaine. Thank You very much.
I suppose I’d have to use a laptop to be able to copy and paste the links. I was hoping to be able to do it on a Android Tablet but I can’t figure out if that’s possible?

Anyway, I might be able to figure it out I hope.
In the meantime :
I’m presently listening to Erik Truffaz : Albums : Arkhangelsic, and : Bending New Corners
(particularly the song Arrroyo if you have a subwoofer or 2.)
Also check out the German band called: Electric Outlet : Album: On
There are also quite a few Snarky Puppy spin off solo musicians with some killer music.
Check out these artists: FORQ …
Bill Laurance… Mark Lettieri… I have every album these three artist have released and they’re all excellent… As an older person in my 60’s I love the standard classics by Miles Davis, Coltrane etc. but I enjoy this modern jazz with a bit more of a funk or fusion feel to it… More to come…

Yes I totally agree, I would be awesome to own a first pressing of all the artists you mention in your post but unfortunately I wasn’t smart enough to search for such things in the 70’s and 80’s when the prices were all reasonable. The Bluenote and Tone Poet reissues are a nice way to build your library with these treasured albums today.
If it weren’t for the vinyl resurgence this might not be possible.
On another note: I try to avoid any album that is on colored vinyl. This is a marketing ploy intended to attract young people for the wrong reasons imho… It is really nice that 140,150 & 180 gram pressings are trending now though… But if you want the best sonics stick to black vinyl…

Yes :slight_smile: Just “share” the youtube video, and there should be an option to just copy the link. You can then paste it here.

1 Like

Thanks again, much appreciated!
I did all that and it did copy ok but I don’t know how to extract it from the Samsung tablet and paste it here.
I can build and modify kit dacs, amps, speakers and refurbish turntables but I suck at computer tech.
I’ll work on it. Did you check out those artists I mentioned? More to come if I get this sorted…

:grin: nice!

If there’s no “edit → paste” option at the top of the screen when you’re typing here, just keep your finger on the screen where you are typing for one second and it should give you the option to paste the link.

I hope this works…
You’re help has been immensely appreciated…Thany you for going out of your way to help…This is the Bill Laurance Live at Union Chapel concert. Watch the whole thing if you haven’t already . Fantastic young talent coming up these days…

1 Like

No problem, thanks! :grin:

Here’s just one of Nik Bartsch’s live songs… Each song is called a Modul # nothing else…
He plays the piano in some unique ways even using a mallet on the strings “under the hood as it were” I own 95% of his catalog.

It can seems repetitive until they all get grooving. This group of players is Called Nik Bartsch’s Ronin… You have to hear this stuff turned up just right…

Another Snarky Puppy offshoot band.
Maybe a little more funky, fusion oriented as opposed to larger big band with horns type of thing… There whole catalog is pretty cool… imho

And my final and currently favorite solo artist from the Snarky Puppy crowd is Mark Lettieri…
I’d have to classify his music as modern Jazz Funk or visa versa…
His best stuff is his baritone guitar work …imho *** This is the full Deep Album ***

Goonsquad…

1 Like

Owane. Not exactly jazz but perhaps the new modern equivalent to jazz / fusion whatever that would be called…**** Full Album****

Nice!

:notes: :ok_hand:

Wolfgang Muthspiel, Brian Blade:
Friendly Travelers: ECM Records

Here is a bit of Canadian Jazz. They put out several albums, but I really only like this one:

1 Like

Being a sax guy, I went exploring one day. I thought Clarence Clems must have done some other stuff. Found some music I wasn’t really keen on and then found an album called Peacemaker. I had never heard of it and it is just six songs. I really enjoy it.

1 Like

Going through my jazz section and I see that I have a lot of Freddie Hubbard (40 pieces of music) and did a little hunting on YouTube. Rather than just posting those albums, that go back 60 years, here is a great video of a Blakey hit with lots of help, including Freddie:

1 Like

Special EFX : Album : Spice of Life…
Track: Uptown East… 1986

Special EFX: Album : Modern Manners
Track: Mystical Remedies…1985

Both albums are very well recorded on both vinyl and CD… I bought them both the years they were released…The vinyl copies are still mint as are the CD versions…
We used to buy the vinyl releases first back then because we weren’t sure of the CD’s recording quality in the early 80’s but knew the LP’s would likely be decent… Later, and recently, it was sometimes safer to buy the CD’s first due to the same QC concerns.

3 Likes

Al Di Meola Project: Album: Kiss My Axe…1991
Melodic Jazz/ Fusion…
******** Full Album********

Al Di Meola - Kiss My Axe (1991) - YouTube

Relax, pour a beverage of your liking and enjoy…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

R+R=NOW : Resting Warrior…2018

1 Like

Been digging this album recently.

1 Like