JDS Labs Atom DAC

I asked if they are taking preorders… lol.

"Fair question! We’re trying to avoid preorders and backorders to the extent possible.

The first batch of Atom DACs will be assembled, tested, and packaged this week. Stock will be available upon announcement."

3 Likes

A good blog post from JDS about what is going on over there…

https://blog.jdslabs.com/2020/05/strange_measures_for_strange_times_atom_amp_status/

“Atom DAC – Yes, it’s done and in reviewers’ hands. With 25% staff filling doubled order volume the past two months, we were in no position to push demand even higher with a new product announcement.”

2 Likes

:anguished: Going crazy waiting for this thing to drop. Instead of risking the Atom Amp being sold out when DAC drops, I just ordered the Amp today. Def understand it being difficult time for a smaller company. Hopefully they’re able to get more staff back in soon enough.

I mean, the Atom and Liquid (series) DACs have been known about for a while, but we are just waiting for them all to come out.

IT’S LIVE!!!

3 Likes

Was just about to post the same thing!

No optical support? I guess he couldn’t fit that in at this price point

Sure there are better DACs out there, even at this price point. But since I just ordered Atom, I will have their new stack! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I wish we can choose to not include some of those accessories,to reduce the cost

1 Like

Schiit managed to with their modi 3.

Not knocking jds labs; I literally almost bought an atom dac to go with my atom amp until I saw no optical. I still have yet to see a dac that’s actually better in any meaningful way than the modi 3.

usb + rocker switch should be free. there’s an error on the site. i just confirmed with them.

2 Likes

hell yeah! atom stack gang :sunglasses:

2 Likes

nvm just ordered mine ! #atomstack gang :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No optical basically makes this just a match for the Amp. Not much versatility.

These $100-ish DACs if they have optical change the game for ROON users with the Chromecast Audio dongle as media streamers. Pretty awesome.

Chromecast Audio + that Topping E30 is a pretty great media streamer for like $150 clean.

now I hope for the Spark DAC to arrive soonest!

1 Like

why so intent on the optical? what’s wrong wtih USB?

1 Like

Ordered atom dac

4 Likes

Be sure to give impressions when it arrives!

I have 3 answers to that question:

1. Sometimes USB is still a PITA and it’s nice to have an alternative

2. I run 2 dacs on my main computer setup. Both are fed via optical from the mobo through an optical splitter. The nicer dac is also connected via USB. The PC audio setting defaults to the optical output. I use Audirvana to have Qobuz streaming and local file playback in the same place and have that app set to exclusive output to the USB dac. That way when I’m playing Audirvana in exclusive mode I can still have my web browser open and connected to an audio device. If I come across an embedded video or some other thing in the browser I want to hear, I can just pause Audirvana, push a button on a switcher, and hear that thing. I don’t have to disconnect or close audirvana, refresh the webpage to re-engage the audio device for the browser, then re-engage exclusive mode to restart the music. It’s just pause-switch-listen-switch-unpause.

3. I’ve recently developed a “portable” rig built around a Topping D10. It drains my phone battery something fierce. It would be nice to switch it out for a DAC that has USB for a laptop and optical or coax to connect a BT receiver to for phone audio.

1 Like

I will i own the atom amp so ill tell yall about the stack